Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Y feels different from 2021 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help!
(Apologies in advance for the long story)

I test drove and ordered a MYLR end of July. I was having trouble waiting until my EDD of October so I picked up an inventory car at the end of august. It was a demo from St. Louis and had 1500mi on when I got it. The only difference between the inventory Y and the one I ordered was the 7 seater (ordered one).

When I got my VIN for the 2022 7-seater, I sold the 2021 and was without a car for 4 days. I picked up the new one on November 16th and immediately noticed on the way home something was very different about how this Y handles. The steering wheel had a shake above 70mph on the interstate. I immediately emailed my SA and he told me to schedule a service appointment (soonest available was December 23). Over the next week I noticed the car is a much rougher ride than my 2021 (keeping in mind it is the EXACT same specs as my new one other than the seats).

On November 26 (Friday), I was riding on the interstate again and the wheel started shaking again, but more noticeable this time. I immediately got a hold of Tesla service and they scheduled me an appt for the following Monday. They balanced the car but when I picked it up, the ride was the exact same. The steering wheel hasn’t shook since but it’s still so wobbly/rough (I don’t know how to better describe it).

I made another service appt for December 30th but in the meantime emailed my SA to see if I could come by and someone could drive my Y and/or drive another demo Y to see if I notice the same thing. This took place yesterday- the service tech that drove my car said ‘you’re just feeling the road bumps’ but upon driving the other demo Y it felt the same as my 2021 and was not bumpy!

Long story short (too late) they could find nothing structurally wrong with the car but are passing the problem on to their engineers in CA now. I was told they would contact me on Monday (December 6).

Has anyone had this issue yet??? 🤷‍♀️
I have a 2020 Model Y. Soon had the car, I noticed this issue -- very bumpy and shaking ride. My wife could sleep in the other cars -- Honda, Toyota, .., but in this car, no way. Driving on Vermont highway, it is fine -- the road is smoothy; while in local, and highway like I-95 between CT and NYC, it is terrible and unbearable. I contacted the service just a few months later after had this car. The first question they asked me was "did you have a test driving?" --- implying that you didn't find this in the testing drive, so sorry, that's it. Then he had a driving with me, and he felt that (I believe he exactly knew that already) and found nothing mechanically wrong. Then, the explanation they gave me was "the Model Y (also Model S?) is SUV. The sports car is supposed like this, ie, let you feel bumpy".
I think that this is a design problem -- a bad and failure one. No solution. This is one thing I feel to regret having this car. Just hope the next generation could have improved it and Tesla could do some remedy on my 2020 Model.

So I waited to post this update just to be sure:

The road force balance worked!!!!

I couldn’t believe it and wanted to test it on the bumpy roads where I live just to be sure. I will say it’s 80-90% better and the last 10-20% is maybe because the weight IS heavier with the 2 seats in the back but WOW what a difference.

For anyone who feels the Y is bumpy- GET THE ROAD FORCE BALANCE!

For a half hour and $60 it was worth it. Had I done this in the beginning it would’ve saved me about 6 hours at Tesla dealing with them and hours of stress and ‘what am I going to do now- they can’t figure out what’s wrong’.

I don’t know why Tesla couldn’t tell the difference- maybe they just didn’t want to deal with it, maybe they couldn’t figure it out and just tried to convince me it was normal, maybe I’m more of a perfectionist/anal than the average 🐻…..regardless it’s fixed and I’m so happy!

Thank you Tesla Fam for listening to me and giving me all the advice/suggestions! I hope this post helps people in the future!

Now I’m off to leather shield my seats (gyeon) since I’m keeping my ride ☺️☺️☺️

I couldn’t believe it and wanted to test it on the bumpy roads where I live just to be sure. I will say it’s 80-90% better and the last 10-20% is maybe because the weight IS heavier with the 2 seats in the back but WOW what a difference.

For a half hour and $60 it was worth it. Had I done this in the beginning it would’ve saved me about 6 hours at Tesla dealing with them and hours of stress and ‘what am I going to do now- they can’t figure out what’s wrong’.

I don’t know why Tesla couldn’t tell the difference- maybe they just didn’t want to deal with it, maybe they couldn’t figure it out and just tried to convince me it was normal, maybe I’m more of a perfectionist/anal than the average 🐻…..regardless it’s fixed and I’m so happy!

Thank you Tesla Fam for listening to me and giving me all the advice/suggestions! I hope this post helps people in the future!

Did you just go with any random care shop? I've done the leather shield btw it's awesome! Love it

Reactions: ConchChick

Congrats, glad to hear it worked! And I'd maybe mention it to Tesla service next time you need them.... ;)

Ya I got denied the refund... going to take it in one more time for the steering wheel vibrations and if it still can't be fixed, that's 3 times for the same problem without resolution..... 🍋
No, they will close the case and disposition the case as, “Normal characteristic of this MY seven seat model, specifically”. That stops the Lemon Law “repair clock” dead in its tracks before you meet the Lemon Law thresholds. They will also classify all past visits and attempted repairs as “Goodwill” and not warranty repairs, for the same reason. Check your invoice. Am I wrong?

I have a Mazda 6 that never balances correctly unless it's done on a Force Balancer. So glad you got it fixed.

Did you just go with any random care shop? I've done the leather shield btw it's awesome! Love it
I checked for tire shops in my area that had the road force balancer- lucked out that one was 2 block from where I work. There wasn't many to choose from in the Pittsburgh area
No, they will close the case and disposition the case as, “Normal characteristic of this MY seven seat model, specifically”. That stops the Lemon Law “repair clock” dead in its tracks before you meet the Lemon Law thresholds. They will also classify all past visits and attempted repairs as “Goodwill” and not warranty repairs, for the same reason. Check your invoice. Am I wrong?
Nope, not wrong- says goodwill everywhere it can lol. To be quite frank I'm not going to tell Tesla anything- they've 'ghosted' me since I questioned their 7 day return policy 🤷‍♀️

I have a 2020 Model Y. Soon had the car, I noticed this issue -- very bumpy and shaking ride. My wife could sleep in the other cars -- Honda, Toyota, .., but in this car, no way. Driving on Vermont highway, it is fine -- the road is smoothy; while in local, and highway like I-95 between CT and NYC, it is terrible and unbearable. I contacted the service just a few months later after had this car. The first question they asked me was "did you have a test driving?" --- implying that you didn't find this in the testing drive, so sorry, that's it. Then he had a driving with me, and he felt that (I believe he exactly knew that already) and found nothing mechanically wrong. Then, the explanation they gave me was "the Model Y (also Model S?) is SUV. The sports car is supposed like this, ie, let you feel bumpy".
I think that this is a design problem -- a bad and failure one. No solution. This is one thing I feel to regret having this car. Just hope the next generation could have improved it and Tesla could do some remedy on my 2020 Model.
Get the road force balance!

I checked for tire shops in my area that had the road force balancer- lucked out that one was 2 block from where I work. There wasn't many to choose from in the Pittsburgh area

Nope, not wrong- says goodwill everywhere it can lol. To be quite frank I'm not going to tell Tesla anything- they've 'ghosted' me since I questioned their 7 day return policy 🤷‍♀️
So glad to hear you got this sorted out and didn't have to take any loss! :)

We should've mentioned road force balancing! This actually solved a similar issue on a non-Tesla vehicle where we had a vibration problem. Vibration at 55-58 MPH, couldn't find a solution at all. Turns out the road force balancer didn't fix it 100%, but reduced it by 80% or so, and that was good enough to live with.

Amazing…happy to see a smiling Tesla owner come again! 👏👏💪🏽💪🏽🙏

Well they should’ve on mine or at least given me the option.
Agreed. Tesla probably does not have the necessary road force balancing equipment at Tesla Service Center. Tesla could have reimbursed you after they were unable to remedy the issue.

Here is Pat Goss, of Goss' Garage, explaining the use of the road force balancer. If only every mechanic was like Pat.

Service appointment was easy enough but Tesla failed to fix the vibration issue. They did successfully fix an intermittent rattle coming from the rear section of car. Plus now have $200 Uber credits lol. I walked down the street and rented a car for the night ($42 total).

I just schedule an appointment for road force balancing with Discount Tire for tomorrow. I'll update the results.