Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Y Long Range- Matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right, so after further review I just ordered a Performance Y. My order says my EDD is July - Sept which is good timing for me as I now qualify for a newly approved $4K EV cash rebate IL just approved. I couldn’t gamble on any more price hikes or delays. Plus we have a 2020 LR AWD to hold us until the P is delivered.
I'm with you. In 4-5 years I'll likely be flipping my 2022 MYP to something else, maybe even another MYP with all the new doo-dads. $8k in PPF will not add a penny to the trade in value. I take good care of my vehicles, but a few dings are expected. 2 Coats of ceramic, and I take it through a nice automated wash at least once a week. It's a car, and I'll enjoy it!

Just to confirm the above I picked up a model Y LR a week ago and it has the old headlights. Maybe they have a good supply of them. Who knows. I got a lot of unexpected stuff since it took so long to make so I'm not going to complain too much. There's always going to be a new thing.
Would U be able to share with us your "unexpected stuff". Does not mean everyone will get the same unexpected stuff
Enjoy yours

Would U be able to share with us your "unexpected stuff". Does not mean everyone will get the same unexpected stuff
Enjoy yours
I mean all of the various upgrades that happened between June, when I ordered, and March, when they made it. AMD Ryzen chip, lithium low voltage battery, heated wiper blades, etc. etc. it ended up being quite a few items. So I'm not going to complain that I got the "old" headlights since I scored in so many other areas.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Car was delivered yesterday. No matrix headlights. However, the interior “updates” (no piano black), laminated windows and a heated steering wheel are welcome upgrades. Overall build quality compared to my 2020 Y is WAY better.
@LowlyOilBurner :
(1) what do U mean "laminated windows"? I assume not the same as 'tinted rear windows'
(2) can U confirm that U get Lithium-Iron 12v battery?
(3) built quality is WAY better? can U tell if Tesla supposedly improves its paint quality
(4) maybe Tesla does not tell if your car has 4680 battery pack?
(5) what is matrix headlights?

Thanks and enjoy yours

@LowlyOilBurner :
(1) what do U mean "laminated windows"? I assume not the same as 'tinted rear windows'
(2) can U confirm that U get Lithium-Iron 12v battery?
(3) built quality is WAY better? can U tell if Tesla supposedly improves its paint quality
(4) maybe Tesla does not tell if your car has 4680 battery pack?
(5) what is matrix headlights?

Thanks and enjoy yours

Laminated windows refers to the drivers and passenger front windows being 2 panes laminated together vs the rear doors being a slightly thinner single pane. Likely reduces wind noise.

All MYLR's are getting an updated 12V lithium battery system and associated AMD cpu for the in-dash display. Those two are coupled, due to minor voltage differences in the system.

The only 4860 packs in existence are 279 mile lower range units going into the MYAWD. There is no MYLR 4680 pack yet.

Matrix headlights are a more digital system using a round projector lens in place of the former array-of-leds-and-reflectors. Both headlight systems work well. We are seeing Tesla gradually move to the matrix system which can potentially do future new tricks since each element of the matrix is individually controllable. The MYLR does not yet get the matrix system. MYP does.

Laminated windows refers to the drivers and passenger front windows being 2 panes laminated together vs the rear doors being a slightly thinner single pane. Likely reduces wind noise.

All MYLR's are getting an updated 12V lithium battery system and associated AMD cpu for the in-dash display. Those two are coupled, due to minor voltage differences in the system.

The only 4860 packs in existence are 279 mile lower range units going into the MYAWD. There is no MYLR 4680 pack yet.

Matrix headlights are a more digital system using a round projector lens in place of the former array-of-leds-and-reflectors. Both headlight systems work well. We are seeing Tesla gradually move to the matrix system which can potentially do future new tricks since each element of the matrix is individually controllable. The MYLR does not yet get the matrix system. MYP does.
@ZenRockGarden: Many thanks

Car was delivered yesterday. No matrix headlights. However, the interior “updates” (no piano black), laminated windows and a heated steering wheel are welcome upgrades. Overall build quality compared to my 2020 Y is WAY better.
On the matrix headlights, are your headlights standard LED lights or is it equipped with the matrix headlights, but without the functionality active (as is the case for any that were delivered Feb-March)?

I’m wondering if the MYLRs being delivered June will have the matrix headlight “hardware”, but just like all others delivered earlier, the software isn’t ready yet. Any news on this, as it looks like North America has pulled the matrix headlights from their M3s.

On the matrix headlights, are your headlights standard LED lights or is it equipped with the matrix headlights, but without the functionality active (as is the case for any that were delivered Feb-March)?

I’m wondering if the MYLRs being delivered June will have the matrix headlight “hardware”, but just like all others delivered earlier, the software isn’t ready yet. Any news on this, as it looks like North America has pulled the matrix headlights from their M3s.
No matrix headlights. Same lights my 2020 had. The fog lights are different though.

How do U know if your cars have Matrix headlights or not. Thanks. BTW, very smart technology IMO
1658841367105.png

The glass is much clearer. and if you are still in doubt you can do the light show. The light show with Matrix lights will spell out TESLA and the non-matrix will not.

View attachment 832933

The glass is much clearer. and if you are still in doubt you can do the light show. The light show with Matrix lights will spell out TESLA and the non-matrix will not.
Thanks. "glass is much clearer ONLY?" (1) is it GLASS or some forms of hard plastics like a blend of Polycarbonate and Polyvinyl Buterate? (2) I think the Audi Matrix light can auto-dim and help recognize pedestrians far away?