Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022MY AWD SR+ with 4680 At Cyber Rodeo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, Tesla could go the other way like in the current 3SR+ Fewer speakers, software de-activated heated rear seats, etc.

It’s easier and cheaper to strip features on a lower trim model than add features on a new one. But let’s see, hopefully Tesla doesn’t take away too much.

I hear you. And yes I think Tesla will make the MYAWD their "entry" model with a minimal option list.

That said, they've got a few easy things already in the works which could sweeten the MYLR - matrix headlights, dual-pane rear windows...

I will reserve judgement on this until I drive one.

If you made a MYSR with one motor, it's gonna be significantly slower, and (rather obviously) not have awd. In this market segment, AWD is kinda table stakes. I would expect as Tesla gains experience with the 4680 they'll squeeze a bit more range out of it - an entry model at maybe 280 mile and a (future) long-range model at 340-350 miles balances out pretty good.

Folks still need to get the religion: the 4680 was about needing to make 4x fewer battery cells and install them cheaper.

The SR AWD pretty much kills it. They can make this car because it is the exact same car as LR except the size of the battery. Musk has no interest in making another variation that will bring him less money.

You can really see how focused Tesla is on streamlining manufacturing. Lower cost model? Just put fewer 4680's in the pack. Everything else stays the same, and when you're ready, you add back in more 4680's and your new factory is making MYLRs

I know NOTHING about 2170 vs 4680 battery technology , so my opinion is just a moot point (just for fun)

(1) When I travel long distance I need to stop and pee after 200-250 miles
(2) 2170 battery has a range of up to 320 miles under ideal condition, with wind + Up and down roads + outside temperature , its range is probably 250-275 miles
(3) 2170 battery has been tested in real life for 10+ yrs (Empirical data)
(4) 4680 battery provide more structural for safety BUT Tesla cars are already safe with 2170
(5) in theory 4680 could have 18-min charging time, so it's a plus, however it's not proven in real life yet (Empirical data)

We order MY in late Fed , EDD Dec2022. I hope to get 4680 battery technology but not a deal breaker, I could take either battery
Have a good day guys/girls

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC