Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022MY AWD SR+ with 4680 At Cyber Rodeo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it is official.

Model Y AWD Standard Range + 279 miles with 4680 pack Austin made.
Would be interesting to see the price. $52,990 or $54,990?

More info :Teslarati

1649421715025.png

Are there range estimates for the LR & P with the 4680s?
No Idea, I don't think they are putting 4680s in the LR & P yet. If they did, we would have seen new EPA figures last month when they got EPA ratings for the SR. I assume they would have to get a new EPA rating if they changed the battery packs out. But they could use 4680 batteries (just use less of them) to get the same range they currently offer for LR &P.

My college roommate works at Telsa (Freemont) and he said the 4680 batteries are not going to make a difference. He was 100% right. So I purchased mine back in November and took delivery in Feb.

I'm curious how the Texas-made deliveries Tesla claimed to make last night would have worked.

This new Texas SR MY was previously unannounced (price and specs). I don't think you could deliver a 279 mi range car to someone who ordered and paid for a 326 mile range car without first contacting them and offering them a price adjustment.

Reactions: saltsman and zpaul
I'm curious how the Texas-made deliveries Tesla claimed to make last night would have worked.

This new Texas SR MY was previously unannounced (price and specs). I don't think you could deliver a 279 mi range car to someone who ordered and paid for a 326 mile range car without first contacting them and offering them a price adjustment.
I think they were all LRs probably with the same battery used in Freemont builds

I think 4680s will only be for the standard range, I would assume the P and LR will use the same technology until California plant is updated.
Been saying this for weeks but some people believed otherwise.

I mean logically speaking:
A) Tesla isn’t going to make a LR & P Model at Austin, the only place there are 4680s available, and then suddenly just stop making cars at Fremont and Berlin And Shanghai. Like how would that work? Current P & LR models become standard range models? No lol
b) 4680 cells are in short supply compared to 2170s, Tesla isn’t going to overnight abandon 2170s. They need them also to ramp up cybertruck, semi, etc.
c) there is literally an EPA filing, which you need to sell a car for a 279 mile range Model Y. There’s no filing for any other new Tesla model so nobody is getting any special LR/P models anytime soon.

Been saying this for weeks but some people believed otherwise.

I mean logically speaking:
A) Tesla isn’t going to make a LR & P Model at Austin, the only place there are 4680s available, and then suddenly just stop making cars at Fremont and Berlin And Shanghai. Like how would that work? Current P & LR models become standard range models? No lol
b) 4680 cells are in short supply compared to 2170s, Tesla isn’t going to overnight abandon 2170s. They need them also to ramp up cybertruck, semi, etc.
c) there is literally an EPA filing, which you need to sell a car for a 279 mile range Model Y. There’s no filing for any other new Tesla model so nobody is getting any special LR/P models anytime soon.
My college roommate works at Tesla (Freemont) and I asked him at the end of 2021 about ordering and he said the 4680 wont make a difference for the MYP. He was 100% right, so I placed my order and picked up in Feb. I don't think they would change to 4680 until maybe the model year 2023 so this Fall if they are going to change.

Where are the people that supposedly got cars delivered yesterday?

If you see battery estimates on Twitter, this has about 68 kWh if you extrapolate that out to the 82 kWh the LR model has -- it appears a first gen 4680 LR (whenever in the future those get built) will have a 336 mile range

279 mi / 68 kWh * 82 kWh = 336 miles

Reactions: Thp3 and scrapps

Texas-built MY are all fleet cars, shipped to Hertz, Tesla Showrooms, and Tesla employees only so far.

MY 'Standard Dual Motor' has yet to appear on the Tesla website order page, so it's not yet publicly available for purchase.

Reactions: E90alex
Where are the people that supposedly got cars delivered yesterday?

If you see battery estimates on Twitter, this has about 68 kWh if you extrapolate that out to the 82 kWh the LR model has -- it appears a first gen 4680 LR (whenever in the future those get built) will have a 336 mile range

279 mi / 68 kWh * 82 kWh = 336 miles
Except the extrapolation isn't linear. But close enough. 4680 doesn't appear to add any range to the MYLR or MYP variants as yet.
No need for Tesla to give away scarce batteries and range for free when the competition can't deliver anything with more range (or even ... anything much).

But it's Tesla. Mum is the word from Elon.
The dance continues. Only Tesla really knows, and they're not telling until they're wanting to.

NO ONE knows what the battery chemistry is. 4680s and standard range makes no logical sense fyi.
You're right, NO ONE KNOWS what battery chemistry is in those cars.

But Tesla isn't all about the customer.
Makes complete sense if you consider the business side of the equation.
Minimum assembly time, maximum internal-sourced components. Maximum profit and maximum volume.

Assuming Elon on stage told the truth last night (well....), it's all 4680 made at Texas, which requires both megacasts to use a structural battery pack.

Of course, what Elon really said was 'all the video you've seen tonight was shot here at Texas'.

The guy does the dance like no other.
Only Tesla knows, and they're not telling....until they're good and ready, or forced.
It's a Master Class in Internet Marketing. Very tightly controlled while seemingly casual and responsive.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
This is highly disappointing if true. The efficiency of the SR+ Model Y that was submitted to the EPA has same energy consumption almost as the Model Y AWD LR. You would think with lighter batteries, less of them and new castings, they cars would gain in energy efficiency.