Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Australian Model Y Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I got convinced that 55% tint was going to look too light especially next to the rear privacy glass. Ended up with 35% (actually 38%) which puts me at 26.6%. Now I’m in defect territory. But at least it’ll look matching 😁
Just got the car back. It’s reading at 32.7% so I’m guessing the windows weren’t at 70%. Hopefully that’s close enough to pass a check at I’ve heard there is a 5% tolerance. If anyone can confirm the this it would be much appreciated.

I have a 20% VLT in front windows. Looks the same as the back ones, and the installer was right - it wont be too dark as light passes through the windshield so its not obvious you are not within the legal limit of 35% VLT
IMG_0395.jpeg

Just got the car back. It’s reading at 32.7% so I’m guessing the windows weren’t at 70%. Hopefully that’s close enough to pass a check at I’ve heard there is a 5% tolerance. If anyone can confirm the this it would be much appreciated.
Checks? Why would the police bother? I have 20% and have been pulled over for breath testing twice plus passing many police patrols in the months I've owned the car. I was told by the company that tinted my windows they have never heard of anyone being charged with windows too dark. I would be skeptical except they charge exactly the same amount for 35% tinting.

Why would the police bother
Unless there is a reason to pull you over for something. If then can see something defective such as bald tyres or speeding or they are targeting you or your car for some other reason such as known to cops and they are watching you just for an opportunity to pull you over, I can see them saying "Oh by the way your windows look dark".

Reactions: elddum and paulp
Unless there is a reason to pull you over for something. If then can see something defective such as bald tyres or speeding or they are targeting you or your car for some other reason such as known to cops and they are watching you just for an opportunity to pull you over, I can see them saying "Oh by the way your windows look dark".
I agree, it's like anything though. Make an arse of yourself and you're going to get into trouble. In my experience cops don't pull 'normal' drivers over unless for breath testing or like. I've been tested twice in my 20% front window tint Tesla and the cops have never mentioned it.

Reactions: elddum
I thought that I would start a thread solely for Australian Model Y/3 (Shanghai built cars).

A few questions:

Do all windows need to be tinted or only the front two?

Do we need tint in the rear window?

Do we need tint on the roof?

Please tell us about your tint type etc....

I thought that I would start a thread solely for Australian Model Y/3 (Shanghai built cars).

A few questions:

Do all windows need to be tinted or only the front two?

Do we need tint in the rear window?

Do we need tint on the roof?

Please tell us about your tint type etc....
Hi Tessy,
Being a window tinter i can stress the importers of tinting a car.
especially on the Tesla's!

The Back of the Tesla Model Y is not tinted it is Privacy glass (sometimes called ‘factory tint’) is a special type of glass that has been darkened at the factory by the car manufacturer. Instead of using a window film, the glass itself is dyed and does not have high heat/UV rejection properties.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Hi Tessy,
Being a window tinter i can stress the importers of tinting a car.
especially on the Tesla's!

The Back of the Tesla Model Y is not tinted it is Privacy glass (sometimes called ‘factory tint’) is a special type of glass that has been darkened at the factory by the car manufacturer. Instead of using a window film, the glass itself is dyed and does not have high heat/UV rejection properties.
Do you have any numbers regarding the lack of heat and UV rejection? Are you saying that a significant amount of heat and UV penetrate the glass? I would assume that anyone in the industry who made claims like that would have some objective information to support those claims, so would be pleased to see it.

Reactions: elddum
Do you have any numbers regarding the lack of heat and UV rejection?
I agree!
@Das Auto as it is in your own personal interest to say that we need to tint every possible piece of glass we can, some data and facts to backup your claim would help… otherwise it seems that you are just drumming up business.

Personally on my 23 build MY I have only tinted front side windows and find very little if any perceptible heat difference front to rear. With respect to UV; as all glass in AU cars has to comply with UV blockout requirements (can’t recall if it’s 99%) then what is the marginal benefit of a tint (well it’s actually clear film) on the rear that cuts out 98% of the remaining 1% (ie 0.98%)?

Also, the majority of heat comes through the front windscreen which you cannot legally tint in Australia (which is why the first thing I bought was a quality windscreen sunshade for when parked).

Happy to be proven wrong with some real facts on AU build cars. Videos of tests on US cars are different to what we have here.

Look forward to hearing @Das Auto .