Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 CAN obd2 diagnostic cable location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't find much from Google searches but did tesla officially move the location of the harness hookup from the rear center console to the passenger lower A pillar? And can I use the same cable for 2019 and newer cars?

Seems like evoffer has a 2021+ specific cable and shows the new location.

Good questions! The cable looks similar to the previous interface cables used on older Model 3/Y vehicles. The website states when used it can monitor BOTH (Vehicle and Chassis) CAN busses. When connected to the apparently new location, can information be retrieved from both CAN busses? same question for the prior Model 3/Y vehicles? or is there two different connection locations? Is the serial data over the new interface cable the same or very similar to the information retrieved from the connection behind the center console?

Reactions: Thekuai
I don't know for sure but I would guess the CAN still passes behind the center console. This promises to connect to two CAN busses whereas the back of the center console only provides one. People that connected both busses before had another device under one of the seats to piggyback there.
I would love for this to be true on my 2020 as well but I don't feel like peeling back the trims just to go see on the A pillar.

Reactions: android04
I don't know for sure but I would guess the CAN still passes behind the center console. This promises to connect to two CAN busses whereas the back of the center console only provides one. People that connected both busses before had another device under one of the seats to piggyback there.
I would love for this to be true on my 2020 as well but I don't feel like peeling back the trims just to go see on the A pillar.
This is what someone else with a 2020 posted. I wonder whats the benefit of having 2 CANs vs 1?
FB_IMG_1675709141724.jpg

The CAN bus behind the center console has all the information about the battery, temperatures, HVAC etc. What it does not have, that the other bus has, is blinker status, lights, navigation (?), that sort of thing. I just don't remember which is which (bus names)

The CAN bus behind the center console has all the information about the battery, temperatures, HVAC etc. What it does not have, that the other bus has, is blinker status, lights, navigation (?), that sort of thing. I just don't remember which is which (bus names)
Would anything on the other bus be useful for scanmytesla? Or what application would that be useful for?