Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3P: Unable to Charge Unable to charge PCS_a023 and HVP_w015 Alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my 2023 M3P, last week, and within the sixth day (with only 237 miles) the following alerts showed up and stated that they were from 6:15 a.m., I was asleep and the Tesla Mobile Connector hadn't been delivered to my house as of yet, so I am confused...

This is a screenshot from my Tesla's display screen:

Unable_to_Charge_Alerts.png

Made an appointment with the local Tesla Service center which will be in 10 days and the messages section in the mobile app states:

Please allow our Preparation Team to review and diagnose your concerns. Thank you.

Got my Mobile Connector today and am charging it via the electrical dryer outlet located in my garage using the 10-30 adapter...

Also, before using the Mobile Connector (right now is my first time), I have only charged up to 80% / 250 miles of the battery four times using the local supercharger...

Question(s):

1. Are these alerts something to be worried about? I was asleep on Sunday when it happened and didn't even have a charging apparatus...

2. Should I not drive my car until the February 10th appointment?

Am in the process of window shopping around for Paint Protective Film (PPF) for the front of the car and was advised by a fellow Tesla customer (the same night around 11:45 p.m., had taken it to a local Tesla supercharging station) who was also charging her vehicle and she said to get these alerts fixed before doing anything to the exterior...

Is this good advice?

3. Can I take this on a road trip to see family which is over 3 hours away?

4. Is this common and a defect?

I just had the same thing happen to my model 3 2023 rwd with 248 miles on it on the 4th day.

Two alerts when I was not even charging. I have a technician coming to my house tomorrow to take a look at a cabin noise and some small panel alignments ibreported 2 dys ago before the 100 miles. I have just added a message to the service chat with the attached picture.

I will let you know what happens.

Attachments

• 20230615_231902.jpg
    20230615_231902.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 159
The technician came and reset my computer from under the Frunk. He said that if the error codes come back, to contact Tesla. He said sometimes the firmware is an issue.

As soon as the reset was done, it started downloading the 2023.20.4.1 software version. I previously had the 2023.12.100 version. Check the attached picture.

I am going through the 25 minute upgrade as I write. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230616_151116.jpg
    20230616_151116.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 163
The error came back while not charging and I am taking it to the service center tomorrow. James from Tessie mentions it may be an issue with the on board charger.

I'm hoping I did not get a Lemon, really worried because I really went over my budget to buy this car and I am afraid of future repair costs as I am not wealthy. Especially having this issue at only 75 miles and 2 charges. :(

Attachments

• 20230618_142409.jpg
    20230618_142409.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 182
I took the just-delivered M3 RWD 2023 to the service center to find out about the PCS_a023 "unable to charge" error code 3 times during the first 100 miles while *not* charging the car.

They had the car for 2 full days. At the end of the 1st day, I went to the center to get an update. They were busy so I simply walked to where my car was parked for the night. I noticed they had taken out some of the trim on the driver's side by the door rail. I guess they were checking on the charger unit as you mentioned.

The update was that the onsite tech was still in the process of diagnostics and that they would engage with the remote diagnostics team the next day to figure out the root cause. I picked up the car at the end of the second day.

The resolution was that all hardware was operating as expected. The issue was with the firmware and the fix would be delivered over the air in the future. Don't worry the manager said but do let them know if I see the alert again.

Finally, when talking to the manager outside, we noticed one screw conspicuously sitting on the driver's floor mat by the pedals. He got down on his knees and spotted where the screw was missing under the wheel. He got a screwdriver and put it back. I was confused at the moment but now I am having a chuckle about it while shaking my head :)

The manager also told me that the techs had created an article on their internal Wiki based on my car's situation. I thought that was pretty cool if true.

Thank you.

I took the just-delivered M3 RWD 2023 to the service center to find out about the PCS_a023 "unable to charge" error code 3 times during the first 100 miles while *not* charging the car.

They had the car for 2 full days. At the end of the 1st day, I went to the center to get an update. They were busy so I simply walked to where my car was parked for the night. I noticed they had taken out some of the trim on the driver's side by the door rail. I guess they were checking on the charger unit as you mentioned.

The update was that the onsite tech was still in the process of diagnostics and that they would engage with the remote diagnostics team the next day to figure out the root cause. I picked up the car at the end of the second day.

The resolution was that all hardware was operating as expected. The issue was with the firmware and the fix would be delivered over the air in the future. Don't worry the manager said but do let them know if I see the alert again.

Finally, when talking to the manager outside, we noticed one screw conspicuously sitting on the driver's floor mat by the pedals. He got down on his knees and spotted where the screw was missing under the wheel. He got a screwdriver and put it back. I was confused at the moment but now I am having a chuckle about it while shaking my head :)

The manager also told me that the techs had created an article on their internal Wiki based on my car's situation. I thought that was pretty cool if true.

Thank you.
Are you still receiving these alerts? My car started alerting me to these a few weeks ago and service wants me to come in and follow the same process you described. It’s a hassle for me to get to the service center and don’t want to waste my time if it’s just going to be a firmware update.

Hey, yes, my car is still giving me those messages, about once a week. I started logging every time I got those alerts.

I took the car to the service center yesterday. I told them that the car had received a few software updates and the messages were still coming.

They said they were going to diagnose it again. I will let you know what happens. Let me know if you have any other questions.

@oliphant428, the unable-to-charge alerts have stopped.

I took a trip to Phoenix AZ over the 10/6/2023 weekend and SuperCharged there and back. I came back on 10/9/2023.

Again, there was one alert on 10/8/2023 when the car was parked there not charging.

On 10/9/2023 I got an alert that a new version of the software was available. I kicked off the firmware update.

However, the update failed. This is the first time that time I have seen an update fail.

I have not gotten another unable to charge alert since then.

My thinking is that either the steady diet of SuperCharging fixed the issue OR the "failed update" was actually a fix for the firmware error.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I hope the alerts are gone forever. I was very worried.

Thank you.