Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 no longer has manual door release in rear [never had them], other changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my 2023 Tesla Model 3 a few days ago in November 2022.

In addition to some of the other features they removed in 2022, the manual door release for emergencies seems to be gone on the rear seats.

The battery technology is lithium iron phosphate.

I had been looking for a definitive list of 2023 changes, but couldn't find any that weren't speculation, so I'd be open to answering questions in this thread, in case it may be helpful for others.

Other missing features, but as far as I am aware these were removed before the 2023 model year:
  • No more Close Window on Lock
  • No more footwell lights
  • No more charging kit, only the J1772 adapter

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
rear door manual release: Did you have an older Model 3 with that? When was it built? No such thing in my October 2021 M3P. I don't think any Model 3 I've been in had this either. I sure wish the Model 3 had it.

footwell lights: I think that's a "Premium Interior" feature, meaning only comes on the Mid Range (discontinued), Long Range, or Performance.

rear door manual release: Did you have an older Model 3 with that? When was it built? No such thing in my October 2021 M3P. I don't think any Model 3 I've been in had this either. I sure wish the Model 3 had it.

footwell lights: I think that's a "Premium Interior" feature, meaning only comes on the Mid Range (discontinued), Long Range, or Performance.
Oh, that's good to know! Thanks!

There is a cable in the rear door behind the panel. It is not available without removing the panel.

I recall seeing a YouTube video on how to make it accessible in the car. It requires drilling an access hole and attaching a loop.

As to close windows on lock? Are you sure about that? It is software not hardware.

It requires drilling an access hole and attaching a loop.
Racecar style! (Well except on a racecar you'd just toss out the panel. 😄)

I guess that cable is for getting the door open while working on an unpowered car in a shop? It sounds useless in an emergency (unless I actually drill holes and put a racecar door pull loop on my road car).

Is there a manual door release in the rear in the 2019? I have one and don’t see the rear release.

Is there a manual door release in the rear in a 2018 Model 3? I have one and I havent seen that.

(note for OP, model 3s have never had a manual release in the rear that I am aware of, at least not 2018 - 2022).

Yeah that what is my understanding. Which I think is a bad idea to not have one.

I do to, even though I dont think they would be used "a lot". Thats the whole purpose of emergency stuff, for edge cases, at least in my opinion.

My wifes March 2022 picked up 2022 Model Y P doesnt have rear emergency release on the door either, but I thought I read somewhere that later produced model Ys might have that as a feature. I dont tend to follow hardware changes super close, other than being mildly interested in progress of the vehicles so I am not sure if I am remembering that correctly.

Is there a manual door release in the rear in a 2018 Model 3? I have one and I havent seen that.

(note for OP, model 3s have never had a manual release in the rear that I am aware of, at least not 2018 - 2022).
Officially, in the owner's manual, it says clearly that

"Note
Only the front doors are equipped with a manual door release."

However, there have been numerous YouTubers show us how to do it:

1) Take off the inner liner of rear door side pocket.

2) Take off the bottom cap under it

3) Pull the cable to manually release a rear door.

It's a mystery that Tesla does not tell us about this.

I need to buy those door glass window hammers for emergency. Never hope to use them but you never know.
@Rottenapplr Not a bad idea. We keep one in our Model S, even though all its doors have real handles, which I believe normally trigger electronic release, but if you pull all the way they will mechanically unlatch the door (if the electronics failed to open the door first e.g. due to no power).

Officially, in the owner's manual, it says clearly that

"Note
Only the front doors are equipped with a manual door release."

However, there have been numerous YouTubers show us how to do it:

1) Take off the inner liner of rear door side pocket.

2) Take off the bottom cap under it

3) Pull the cable to manually release a rear door.

It's a mystery that Tesla does not tell us about this.
@Tam I think that cable pull is only meant for service. That procedure does not seem fit for "car on fire" emergency use.

@Rottenapplr Not a bad idea. We keep one in our Model S, even though all its doors have real handles, which I believe normally trigger electronic release, but if you pull all the way they will mechanically unlatch the door (if the electronics failed to open the door first e.g. due to no power).

I would probably carry one too, if I ever had people in the back of our model 3 / Y. I can count the number of times I have passengers in the back of either vehicle on one hand, on a yearly basis.

Reactions: ODWms
I received my 2023 Tesla Model 3 a few days ago in November 2022.

In addition to some of the other features they removed in 2022, the manual door release for emergencies seems to be gone on the rear seats.

The battery technology is lithium iron phosphate.

I had been looking for a definitive list of 2023 changes, but couldn't find any that weren't speculation, so I'd be open to answering questions in this thread, in case it may be helpful for others.
There was no rear manual door release before, so there is no change for 2023 if it is still not there.

The LFP battery was standard in 2022 Model 3 RWD and available in some 2021 Model 3 SR+ (most 2021 Model 3 SR+ had NCA battery). LR/P still uses NCA battery.

The ultrasonic sensors for giving distances to objects while parking were removed recently, though it is not clear if this was done exactly on the switch to the 2023 model year.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There is a cable in the rear door behind the panel. It is not available without removing the panel.

I recall seeing a YouTube video on how to make it accessible in the car. It requires drilling an access hole and attaching a loop.

As to close windows on lock? Are you sure about that? It is software not hardware.

This is from 3 years ago, so for model year 2018-19ish. His lanyard is no longer available so you'll have to manage your own setup.

VERY IMPORTANT DOOR STRAP SAFETY INFORMATION BELOW ;)

The most important part of your door pull is proper racecar style. Make the strap long and wide across the door, so it's easy to find and pull when split seconds matter.
F96881640.jpg

P030Web-50.jpg

A small dainty strap attached in one spot is NOT a racecar door pull. That's a poser part from overpriced Porsche road cars for people who want to pretend they're driving a racecar, without sacrificing any interior panels or comfort.
Used-2011-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-40.jpg

Porsche does make real racecars of course, and many people build their own racecars out of Porsche sports cars. They don't use dainty floppy little pulls. They either stay with a handle (not a factory option for our Model 3 rear doors), or use a proper racecar pull.
M17_0717-5e00a448.jpg

911-R-DOOR-RACE-DOOR-AND-EVO2-DOOR-CAR-PICS.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpg

@Lindenwood "safety first" suggestion for your next because racecar parts 😉 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Perscitus