Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Radar Pigtail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into the purchase of a new 2023 model 3. I saw another thread somebody with a 2022 model Y took out their frunk lining and found that they still had the pigtail connector for the front radar. It was labeled US model Y no radar. I'm curious if anyone with a 2023 model 3 wants to pull their front trunk lining and see if they have a radar connector and if it's the same seven pin connector that was previously used or a new connector. This would give us a good idea of whether we may receive the radar upgrade.

Also it appears that the 2023s are receiving the new 5 megapixel camera in the side repeaters has anyone checked if the windshield is also getting the new camera design?

I pulled my liner the other day, where is the connector?
PXL_20221126_001207134.jpg

Ok, I'll admit I don't have my car yet, someone with a Model Y said they lifted their frunk liner and saw it. But I know two Tesla bodyshops so I will find out and report back. Thanks everyone!

Even if it was there the car still knows it's a '23 and isn't supposed to have it. I'd assume the computer to ignore them even if you put them in.

That's not the thought at all. I assume HD radar will require HW 4. I'm trying to figure out if Tesla installed the updated 5 megapixel cameras and left the pigtail, leaving the door open for HW 4 retrofit.

With project Highland the supposed updated Model 3, I'm concerned that there might be a clean break and Elon/ Tesla will claim you don't need the radar for FSD we just need more time for Tesla vision.

I think with HW 4 they will get there with FSD. We might left half baked though.

That's not the thought at all. I assume HD radar will require HW 4. I'm trying to figure out if Tesla installed the updated 5 megapixel cameras and left the pigtail, leaving the door open for HW 4 retrofit.

With project Highland the supposed updated Model 3, I'm concerned that there might be a clean break and Elon/ Tesla will claim you don't need the radar for FSD we just need more time for Tesla vision.

I think with HW 4 they will get there with FSD. We might left half baked though.
It's there (blue capped connector) on 2022 Model 3.
I see it on my April 2022 built M3P and July 2022 built M3LR.
You can see it in @mtmra70 2023 Model 3 posted earlier.

It's next to the HomeLink module connector.
20221211_141026.jpg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood and KenC
New member here; apologies in advance if this has been stated somewhere as I'm new to Tesla. I've noticed within the Model Y's online manual, it states "Radar sensor, if equipped (hidden from view) (About Autopilot)" from sections Overview -> Overview Exterior. Is this referring to the new Radar sensor that Tesla had under wraps through the FCC? I'm just speculating, since I don't see any reference of the USS's and only a blurb about the radar sensor location.

Even if it was there the car still knows it's a '23 and isn't supposed to have it. I'd assume the computer to ignore them even if you put them in.

They turned off radar in software long ago. I have a 2021 MY with radar and it "upgraded" (LOL) to Tesla Vision last year. Nerfed my AP (can't go as fast or follow as close as before). I expect they'll do the same with USS once they get the SW "good enough". They don't want to have too many code branches to maintain

They turned off radar in software long ago. I have a 2021 MY with radar and it "upgraded" (LOL) to Tesla Vision last year. Nerfed my AP (can't go as fast or follow as close as before). I expect they'll do the same with USS once they get the SW "good enough". They don't want to have too many code branches to maintain

I love the added features that come with updates, but stuff like this pisses me off. Don't take away/nerf features that I already have.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I love the added features that come with updates, but stuff like this pisses me off. Don't take away/nerf features that I already have.

I feel the same way, just have to accept that the car is ever-changing.

I honestly might never have upgraded, but I was annoyed at the nav directions and blinker repeaters being in the lower left where my hand obscured them. I think I held off about 6mo, but finally relented