Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 rear bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hesitant

Apr 3, 2023
DC
Hey all,

Scraped my model 3 at 1mph against a concrete pillar while backing into a tight parking spot. Damage is primarily to the rear bumper cover (behind rear left wheel ie driver's side), although there is also a dent in the rear left quarter panel. Car works completely fine, no issues with any cameras, sensors or charging. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed as this is my first ever issue like this.

Rear bumper cover - I'm assuming this will need to be replaced. Is that my only option? I've seen people getting them installed using Tesla themselves, but I'm unable to do so via the app as it directs me to go to Tesla certified body shops. I'm not sure if these body shops (who I believe procure unpainted bumper covers) would match the paint as well as the pre-painted covers Tesla service centers procure and install. How do I go about requesting such service from Tesla? The car is less than a month old, so paint matching shouldn't be an issue.

Rear left quarter panel - From what I can tell perusing prior posts here, repairing or replacing the rear left quarter panel is significantly more expensive than replacing the rear bumper cover. Would paintless dent repair (PDR) be a viable option for the dent to the quarter panel shown here?

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• D7258CE0-8995-449A-990D-1FCBBDB461E8.jpeg
    D7258CE0-8995-449A-990D-1FCBBDB461E8.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 634
  • 6B222658-FB69-4C07-BC58-5D95D4DA3698.jpeg
    6B222658-FB69-4C07-BC58-5D95D4DA3698.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 472
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I stopped receiving notifications for some reason and didn't realize more people had commented.

I did end up getting this fixed as I had described. I had the rear bumper cover replaced by Tesla (almost exactly $1k incl. taxes for midnight silver metallic bumper), while the dent on the rear quarter panel was fixed with PDR (almost exactly $2k). Yeah, I can tell I may have overpaid for the PDR, but I had an unavoidable time constraint that prevented me from shopping around and negotiating. Being in DC doesn't help either.

Overall, the turnaround was about 10 days since the incident - I was able to get the two processes done in parallel so that worked out. I still have to improve the touch-up paint work for the scrape on the bottom edge of the quarter panel that I will complete when I have more time, but for now its passable.

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3946.jpeg
    IMG_3946.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: bucknejo