Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 RWD on phone via bluetooth speaker distortion/crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a 2023 RWD 3 and when I use my iPhone in the car over bluetooth to make phone calls, the person sounds like they are talking through a partially blown speaker. The person I am speaking to says I sound clear to them but they don’t sound that way to me. Playing music sounds fine and the distortion appears to happen during phone calls. Anyone else have this issue? Is this just the way the speakers sound?

I am wondering if there will be a software fix or if this is the way these speakers sound? Or if there was an issue during assembly where the speaker may be grounding out somehow. This seems like its only happening on 2023 models from responses I have seen.

I just picked up a 2023 RWD 3 and when I use my iPhone in the car over bluetooth to make phone calls, the person sounds like they are talking through a partially blown speaker. The person I am speaking to says I sound clear to them but they don’t sound that way to me. Playing music sounds fine and the distortion appears to happen during phone calls. Anyone else have this issue? Is this just the way the speakers sound?

Hi I have the same problem on my TMYP 2023, I have had it for service 3 times and they just say they can’t Findus the problem, I had 2 model 3 for rental while at service and I did not have the problem on these cars or my old Volvo. Just picked it up from service today and same problem. Im so frustrated about this!
Ivan / Norway

Hi I have the same problem on my TMYP 2023, I have had it for service 3 times and they just say they can’t Findus the problem, I had 2 model 3 for rental while at service and I did not have the problem on these cars or my old Volvo. Just picked it up from service today and same problem. Im so frustrated about this!
Ivan / Norway
Ivan / Norway
I took my car in and they said the same thing to me. This is the crap Tesla does that other car manufacturers don’t. I have a feeling it’s a faulty bluetooth module or a speaker/wire grounding out. They act like it’s not an issue. Mine is so bad I have to turn the volume down all the way down to make it tolerable.

I took my car in and they said the same thing to me. This is the crap Tesla does that other car manufacturers don’t. I have a feeling it’s a faulty bluetooth module or a speaker/wire grounding out. They act like it’s not an issue. Mine is so bad I have to turn the volume down all the way down to make it tolerable.
And still when the volume is low you hear it good, its really annoying.

This is crazy - but had the same problem on my 2018 LR RWD. Tesla kept saying to wait for the next, next software update. When they fixed the harness for the rear camera (was recalled), this issue was resolved permanently.

And still when the volume is low you hear it good, its really annoying.
My frunk opened on it’s own a few times. I am wondering if there is a wire shorting out that could be causing all of this. They would not address the frunk issue unless I gave them an exact time and date that it happened. I am waiting for it to happen again and start there. However you are correct, even at low volume it’s annoying.

I tried playing music over bluetooth from my iPhone today and it sounded horrible just as the phone calls do. Music coming from infotainment unit sounds fine. I have a feeling it’s a bad bluetooth module. Does anyone else experience poor bluetooth audio and distorted audio from bluetooth phone calls?

Same issue here. Although I notice the problem more when playing podcasts from my phone over bluetooth. I moved the balance of the sound system to front only and the issue isn't present then. Definitely annoying and I need to make a service appointment. Mine is mid year '22 LR.