Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the theory of Tesla Vision and will be amazed if it works, but you have to admit right now we (owners that took delivery since October 1st) have no parking functionality WHATSOEVER on a premium vehicle.

Believe me, I'm a Tesla/Elon fanboi, but this really is mind boggling that there is no software update or even a hint of it more than two months after they dropped the sensors/functionality.

And it's not like this is a premium feature. Like cruise control and automatic windows, parking sensors are now standard in all vehicles starting at $20k.
It really is embarrassing when people ask me stuff about my brand new car (I picked it up last weekend) and they find out the car doesn't "beep" when parking in close quarters.

As another poster mentioned: I could get on board if Tesla was honest about it (supply issues) and gave a decent timeline. At least give us beta parking software with a disclaimer it won't work 30% of the time. If the occupancy network exists since AI day (at least), they must have had time to implement a basic parking feature. And I'm not talking about autopark/summon, those can wait. Just a proximity guide so I don't wreck my brand new premium vehicle. I don't think that is too much to ask from the "leading technology company". Walk the walk instead of talk the talk, Tesla.
As mentioned upthread, Tesla was going to remove them regardless of if they had a software solution lined up, just like other automakers did. As for $20k cars having them, I already addressed the points (value oriented cars tend to have the most features included for a lower price, plenty of other $60k premium/luxury cars don't have parking sensors either, I pointed out 3 examples I found trivially from the German big 3).

As for posting a public timeline, Tesla got burned on that in the past (anyone working on software engineering knows why it's a bad idea).

So does Tesla installing this new radar unit mean Tesla Vision is a fail?

And for those without any radar units, will it be required to run FSD in the future when FSD > L2?
If the new radar is required for FSD to work, they may offer free upgrade to the new radar only for those cars that had FSD purchased. (There is Tesla precedent for that with older Model S free hardware upgrades if FSD was on the car.)

But if they do that, how will that work with FSD subscriptions? Can someone subscribe to FSD, get the free upgrade, and then cancel the subscription the next month?

I returned a 2019 Audi e-tron an bough a model 3 instead, we already had a model S since 2016.

The 360 surround view in the e- tron used to work up to 10 mph then Audi did a software update and the cutoff speed was lowered too 5 mph, there is no way you can drive with the camera on like you can in a Tesla.

Very annoying when you drive out from a parking lot and the camera switched off before you could exit.

I actually like to drive the model 3 more than the e-tron, it felt like a floating boat.

If the new radar is required for FSD to work, they may offer free upgrade to the new radar only for those cars that had FSD purchased. (There is Tesla precedent for that with older Model S free hardware upgrades if FSD was on the car.)

But if they do that, how will that work with FSD subscriptions? Can someone subscribe to FSD, get the free upgrade, and then cancel the subscription the next month?
This question was already answered with HW3, they will bill you for the cost of the retrofit.

...There is Tesla precedent for that with older Model S free hardware upgrades if FSD was on the car...

In theory, once paid for FSD in 2016, there's no additional cost to replace hardware, so you can use today's FSD beta.

The problem is: today's FSD beta requires MCU2 and it's not free for those who still have MCU1. It cost me $2,500 + tax.

Subscribers have to pay for updated hardware always so far.

Last edited:
I just picked up mine yesterday. I paid for enhanced auto pilot only to find out I can't use it.
Will Full Self Driving work or do we have to wait on that as well?
I’m picking up a Model Y with FSD soon - in December. No USS or radar. It will have some version of 2022.40 software and will subsequently get some number of updates.

Will I be able to use FSD, either right away or after the big rollout I hear about?
Will I be able to use autopilot?
How about enhanced autopilot?

I don‘t think anyone answered OhioBobcat’s question. I know I’ll be without parking warnings but I assumed autopilot, EAP, and sometime soon, FSD would be available.

Reactions: OhioBobcat
I’m picking up a Model Y with FSD soon - in December. No USS or radar. It will have some version of 2022.40 software and will subsequently get some number of updates.

Will I be able to use FSD, either right away or after the big rollout I hear about?

I don‘t think anyone answered OhioBobcat’s question. I know I’ll be without parking warnings but I assumed autopilot, EAP, and sometime soon, FSD would be available.
The FAQ linked by the disclaimer that you were supposed to agree to when you agreed to the VIN has the feature matrix (see last question):

Does the transition to Tesla Vision affect the availability of some features on vehicles delivered on or after October 2022?
For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, which includes the features outlined in the table below.
Features*Equipped with USSNot equipped with USS
Forward Collision Warning
Automatic Emergency Braking
Lane Departure Warning / Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Pedal Misapplication Mitigation
Auto High Beam
Autowiper
Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
AutoSteer**
Auto Lane Changes
Navigate on Autopilot
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
Park AssistComing soon
AutoparkComing soon
SummonComing soon
Smart SummonComing soon
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support Other Europe

Reactions: OhioBobcat
The FAQ linked by the disclaimer that you were supposed to agree to when you agreed to the VIN has the feature matrix (see last question):

Features*Equipped with USSNot equipped with USS
Forward Collision Warning
Automatic Emergency Braking
Lane Departure Warning / Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Pedal Misapplication Mitigation
Auto High Beam
Autowiper
Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
AutoSteer**
Auto Lane Changes
Navigate on Autopilot
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
Park AssistComing soon
AutoparkComing soon
SummonComing soon
Smart SummonComing soon
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support Other Europe

Thank you. I couldn’t find this in the app.

I got a Model Y with FSD on December 3rd. No USS or radar.
But you can use all autopilot functions. (Navigate on autopilot, etc).

I'm in Europe so no FSDbeta for me though. Should be fine in the USA.

As mentioned upthread, Tesla was going to remove them regardless of if they had a software solution lined up, just like other automakers did. As for $20k cars having them, I already addressed the points (value oriented cars tend to have the most features included for a lower price, plenty of other $60k premium/luxury cars don't have parking sensors either, I pointed out 3 examples I found trivially from the German big 3).

As for posting a public timeline, Tesla got burned on that in the past (anyone working on software engineering knows why it's a bad idea).
Well, your posts just tell me that these other car makers DO HAVE parking sensors. Ok, they are an option, but you have the option to add them or if you want to reduce cost, not take them. Tesla (for the moment) has nothing.

It didn't stop me to buy a Model Y (and had a delivery this morning :D ), i trust in the promise it will be available. But i don't buy all the marketing crap about 'best part is no part' etc. without questioning either. They removed them because the parts are hard to get and that would prevent them 'spitting out' as many cars as possible.

Normal procedure is that you provide a working alternative before you remove something, they just were not ready, that's crap. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Bricktopshog
Well, your posts just tell me that these other car makers DO HAVE parking sensors. Ok, they are an option, but you have the option to add them or if you want to reduce cost, not take them. Tesla (for the moment) has nothing.

It didn't stop me to buy a Model Y (and had a delivery this morning :D ), i trust in the promise it will be available. But i don't buy all the marketing crap about 'best part is no part' etc. without questioning either. They removed them because the parts are hard to get and that would prevent them 'spitting out' as many cars as possible.

Normal procedure is that you provide a working alternative before you remove something, they just were not ready, that's crap. Plain and simple.
Taken to its extreme, "best part is no part" would be "best car is no car." Therefore, we should all be riding horses.

I linked previously other cars that used to have them included that don't anymore:

And the examples I linked don't have them even if you spent $60k, even if you can opt for it.

Sure, Tesla could have possibly added an extra option (it won't reduce cost, it'll be on top of the price), but that slows down their production line and Tesla works hard not to do that (why they don't have much factory ala carte options).

It's people like you why they did it. They know people will still take delivery without them (just like other automakers did when they cut them). If people instead cancelled orders in mass, then they would have incentive to change.

I linked previously other cars that used to have them included that don't anymore:

And the examples I linked don't have them even if you spent $60k, even if you can opt for it.

Sure, Tesla could have possibly added an extra option (it won't reduce cost, it'll be on top of the price), but that slows down their production line and Tesla works hard not to do that (why they don't have much factory ala carte options).

It's people like you why they did it. They know people will still take delivery without them (just like other automakers did when they cut them). If people instead cancelled orders in mass, then they would have incentive to change.
it's not 'people like me', it's the current climate that makes they can get away with it. If i would be able to get an Ioniq 5 or EV6 within reasonable timeframe i would have cancelled in a heartbeat.
Cudo's for Tesla that they can deliver cars within reasonable delivery time (3 months in my case), but removing the sensors and marketing it as 'an improvement' is crap.

• Love
Reactions: jeewee3000

So FSD will work. It’s just half the enhanced autopilot functions that don’t work.

We just took delivery of a 2023 Model 3, and it has no Park Assist. This is absolutely unacceptable. Our 2019 Model 3 had parking sensors. Park Assist is a feature that's on almost every single modern car even at half the price, and it's one of the most useful features on modern cars. I am livid that this car doesn't work.

I contacted Tesla to see if I could return this car and they said no. So now I'm stuck with a car with no parking sensors, until the software team apparently gets their *sugar* together.

Does anybody know when they're going to re-release the Park Assist feature? How long do I have to wait until this car works properly?

Last edited:
Reactions: phishphan
It's literally not true that "Only Tesla would sell a $60k+ car with no parking sensors". I pointed out clear counter examples in that post of other manufacturers doing the same due to parts shortages.

Just as a sanity check, I played with the configurator of a E450 that starts at $62,750. The surround camera is in a $2400 option package (as is the parktronic parking sensors).
Build Your Own 2022 E 450 4MATIC Sedan
(etc.)

I appreciate this perspective, but honestly it's not helpful. We're comparing new Teslas to cars that had USS just a few months ago. People are coming from premium vehicles and finding no warnings whatsoever. People paid for EAP and don't get the features that should be working. And I predict that new HD radar will not arrive anytime soon. Doesn't it come with HW4? Not a thing yet, correct?

I took delivery of my MY knowing this issue, before you remind me that I signed the waver. I drive using my own eyes, blah blah blah. I will have to be very careful. I'm glad for the backup cameras. And - I am still hoping Elon comes up with a solution and starts adding warnings using the Vision system - soon. He'll have a swarm of new owners who've waited until January to pick up these cars.

We'd be better served by helpful tips on how to gauge proximity to curbs, other cars, people, and parking lot poles while parking and unparking - using our own eyes and the backup cameras. End of rant, for now.

We just took delivery of a 2023 Model 3, and it has no Park Assist. This is absolutely unacceptable. Our 2019 Model 3 had parking sensors. Park Assist is a feature that's on almost every single modern car even at half the price, and it's one of the most useful features on modern cars. I am livid that this car doesn't work.

I contacted Tesla to see if I could return this car and they said no. So now I'm stuck with a car with no parking sensors, until the software team apparently gets their *sugar* together.

Does anybody know when they're going to re-release the Park Assist feature? How long do I have to wait until this car works properly?

Only Tesla engineers know.

Outsiders can speculate: It might just be like taking the radar off, and Vision will achieve parity to restore the 90 MPH Autopilot/FSD soon. On the other hand, it might just be like summing your car across the US, but we are still waiting.

I appreciate this perspective, but honestly it's not helpful. We're comparing new Teslas to cars that had USS just a few months ago. People are coming from premium vehicles and finding no warnings whatsoever. People paid for EAP and don't get the features that should be working. And I predict that new HD radar will not arrive anytime soon. Doesn't it come with HW4? Not a thing yet, correct?

I took delivery of my MY knowing this issue, before you remind me that I signed the waver. I drive using my own eyes, blah blah blah. I will have to be very careful. I'm glad for the backup cameras. And - I am still hoping Elon comes up with a solution and starts adding warnings using the Vision system - soon. He'll have a swarm of new owners who've waited until January to pick up these cars.

We'd be better served by helpful tips on how to gauge proximity to curbs, other cars, people, and parking lot poles while parking and unparking - using our own eyes and the backup cameras. End of rant, for now.
You cut out this part of my post:
I get people are mad about the removal, but people shouldn't pretend Tesla's the only one doing it.
Again I totally understand why people are mad, but I'm just pointing out it is factually wrong Tesla is the only one selling $60k cars without them and also wrong that Tesla's the only one removing them from a model that previously had them included.

And of course, I hope as much as anyone that the software solution get released ASAP. Personally even with a car with USS, I'm excited about the possibilities of the ON based alternative, given it opens up the possibly of a curb line indicator (not only in the front, but also the side), as well as generalized 3D object modeling.

I'm just shocked they removed this functionality before they had a functioning solution. It's crazy.

We really wanted a Mach E, but you can't get one without paying a huge markup or waiting 10 months right now. Same for the EV6/Ioniq. My wife thinks the Bolt is too ugly. So here we are, with a Model 3 that is somehow worse than the one we just sold, but costs more.

I really hope other manufacturers can get ramped up so I never have to buy a Tesla again.

N00b question, but do the M3s with USS have backup warning? I have the 2023 M3P and have yet to be warned of any car/person approaching from the rear/side. My Subaru Ascent would warn of ANYTHING that was in visual view of the camera when backing up. So far in the first ownership of the M3P it has never once warned of a car/person.

I wasn't sure if this was by design, or a limitation of the lack of USS.

Edit: Looks like Tesla considers backup warnings are part of park assist. I guess this answers my question :)

Last edited: