Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another poster:
"Nov 10, 2022: yep. This has been discussed in many threads. Functionality is supposed to return in the coming months."

HAHAHAH. This person apparently doesn't remember FSD being promised in late 2018. "Tesla Vision" replacement of USS is *never* coming. Never. They'll screw around for 3 years, then eventually put USS back due to market pressure. A $65,000 vehicle that doesn't have parking assist is going to be a dinosaur in the market.
Park assist seems to be a hot button for some, but my opinion is that most people are able to park a car without it. I doubt it will make or break the company or impact it in any slightly meaningful way. It's really just not that big of an issue for most. I do hope that Tesla is able to enable the features that people were expecting though.

Park assist seems to be a hot button for some, but my opinion is that most people are able to park a car without it. I doubt it will make or break the company or impact it in any slightly meaningful way. It's really just not that big of an issue for most. I do hope that Tesla is able to enable the features that people were expecting though.
Yep, other manufacturers removed it also and many have it optional (even in $65k range). Not a big deal even if gone.

I have a 2020 Prius with Park Assist alarms. However, tbh I don't depend on the alert because:

Sometimes the alert will sound from 4 feet, 1 foot or even not at all because it depends on the object, location and angle.

Next week, I will have the M3 so will see. I'm more interested in keeping me in the center of lanes and accident avoidance or the attempt there of.

I paid around 35k for Prius Limited and with discounts not a whole lot more for the M3.

Reactions: enemji
Park Assist (the car showing distance from a object and pings) is standard regardless of if you buy EAP or FSD. It's just that for cars without USS, they haven't updated the software to add it back yet.
You can see the FAQs in the support page for more details.
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support
Ok, cool. We have 2 M3s, 2021 LR FSD USS and a 2023 SR FSD no USS with some of the FSD options disabled. Hopefully they push out an update soon.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I asked my local Tesla dealership (Belgium) when the Tesla Vision update for no-USS cars is to be expected.
Their reply (deepl translation):

"Unfortunately, we have no idea when to expect this update.
We hope together with our customers that this will happen soon but cannot make any promises in this regard."

So Tesla representatives/employees outside the AI Team generally have no clue and probably know less than we do.
I'm cross-posting this in the three main "no-USS threads".

Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I asked my local Tesla dealership (Belgium) when the Tesla Vision update for no-USS cars is to be expected.
Their reply (deepl translation):

"Unfortunately, we have no idea when to expect this update.
We hope together with our customers that this will happen soon but cannot make any promises in this regard."

So Tesla representatives/employees outside the AI Team generally have no clue and probably know less than we do.
I'm cross-posting this in the three main "no-USS threads".
I can confirm, the same here in Switzerland.

I told my advisor that I'm a bit pissed about such maneuver to drop the USS before having a working solution. He told me that he has faith that Tesla will bring back the functionality using Tesla Vision soon.

We are all hoping for the best, it still is quite annoying

Nothing about park-assist/USS-replacement in the latest build. Other than auto-steering-heat (nice if you need it) it's useless crap unless you speak Thai. Chat apps? Handwriting recognition? WTF?

Last edited:
i think the main thing holding back "vision only" park assist are the implications if it's bad/ nowhere near feature parity with USS:

- vision only detects too generously ... PR nightmare with youtubers showing park assist saying "STOP" but you are still 3 feet from an object...
- vision only detects objects too late or ignores them ... PR nightmare with pissed owners hitting tall curbs/ walls/ cars when parking forward....

i think the main thing holding back "vision only" park assist are the implications if it's bad/ nowhere near feature parity with USS:

- vision only detects too generously ... PR nightmare with youtubers showing park assist saying "STOP" but you are still 3 feet from an object...
- vision only detects objects too late or ignores them ... PR nightmare with pissed owners hitting tall curbs/ walls/ cars when parking forward....
I don't see how any of these situations are different from the false-alarm behavior that is common with the USS on Teslas and other comparable vehicles.

I don't see how any of these situations are different from the false-alarm behavior that is common with the USS on Teslas and other comparable vehicles.
USS is pretty darn accurate though except for corner cases (object too low or too small to be reliably picked up).
now I would be surprised if "vision only" with *existing cameras* picks up objects in the front facing blind spot well or reliably...

Reactions: SalisburySam
USS is pretty darn accurate though except for corner cases (object too low or too small to be reliably picked up).
now I would be surprised if "vision only" with *existing cameras* picks up objects in the front facing blind spot well or reliably...
All TBD of course. Buy in my 2020 M3, I got all kinds of false alarms via slopes when backing up in my alley, etc. where collision is literally impossible.