Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people say the features aren’t coming. I just don’t believe that.
They make you sign off when you get the car that they are coming soon. The support page for Tesla vision still says coming soon. If they weren’t coming or ran into issues that made these features impossible to do with vision, they wouldn’t keep the “coming soon” thing Ongoing. I’m sure it will be coming and I just hope it’s sooner than later.
I'm not saying it won't come eventually, just that I haven't seen rumors that there is a specific time frame. That's why I'm asking for the source and to see if it has been mixed up with other rumors that have nothing to do with restoring USS features.

Source? I have only read about the rumor the software to get HW4 working was planned for March, not that USS features would be restored.
There have been zero updates about non USS models since the initial statement last year. I texted my rep about it yesterday and asked if we are guaranteed to get these capabilities via software update and they just responded by copy/pasting the initial statement from Tesla's website about the USS removal.

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000
There have been zero updates about non USS models since the initial statement last year. I texted my rep about it yesterday and asked if we are guaranteed to get these capabilities via software update and they just responded by copy/pasting the initial statement from Tesla's website about the USS removal.
Which is exactly what you would expect. The reps don't have any inside info, a lot of people post false rumors from an uninformed rep because they overestimate the amount of info they have (that whole Teslascope scoop linked was a prime example where an owner was incorrectly informed that their car has HW4 when it didn't).

Reactions: BelugaWhale
Which is exactly what you would expect. The reps don't have any inside info, a lot of people post false rumors from an uninformed rep because they overestimate the amount of info they have (that whole Teslascope scoop linked was a prime example where an owner was incorrectly informed that their car has HW4 when it didn't).
I also visited the tesla dealership a few days ago, and I asked a service rep when the features which I paid for ( I also purchased a Smart Summon) will be available. He said he does not have an ETA , but it will come eventually
I also said I complain and he said - "Go Ahead Complain" :)

So, after hearing this, we could start a petition and make our voices heard. What do you all think ?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X and NKpenn
We picked up our MY LR on Friday. It's replaced my wife's 2017 Outback Limited which we sold to a friend. She absolutely LOVES the car and has gotten used to its quirks (namely the regen braking). However, her big complaint is the lack of parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert (which her Outback had). She said that she was backing out of her parking space at work and some jackass came FLYING down the aisle. There were no beeps or anything warning her. It's bad enough that visibility out the back of the MY is poor with that mail slot of a back window that you see out of.

In her Outback, the thing would beep when cars that you couldn't see (and cars that weren't even visible on the reverse cam) were coming and would show you an arrow of which direction they were coming from.

1ee6ebbbb5a0f8351a22da2f733e169e_L.jpg

We picked up our MY LR on Friday. It's replaced my wife's 2017 Outback Limited which we sold to a friend. She absolutely LOVES the car and has gotten used to its quirks (namely the regen braking). However, her big complaint is the lack of parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert (which her Outback had). She said that she was backing out of her parking space at work and some jackass came FLYING down the aisle. There were no beeps or anything warning her. It's bad enough that visibility out the back of the MY is poor with that mail slot of a back window that you see out of.

In her Outback, the thing would beep when cars that you couldn't see (and cars that weren't even visible on the reverse cam) were coming and would show you an arrow of which direction they were coming from.

View attachment 912658
yeah. even my 2015 F150 had rear cross-traffic alert and it saved my a** several times. people come flying across parking lots and backing out of a spot puts you in a bad situation. With the Tesla i have to very very slowly back-out and hope i catch someone racing by or they see me backing out...

her big complaint is the lack of parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert (which her Outback had). She said that she was backing out of her parking space at work and some jackass came FLYING down the aisle. There were no beeps or anything warning her. It's bad enough that visibility out the back of the MY is poor with that mail slot of a back window that you see out of.

There will never be a solution to this problem on the cars people have today due to the camera placement and lack of rear radars.

I've started backing up into parking spots whenever possible in my 3, it's much safer to exit facing out. There are simply no other workaround to this problem as current owners, the rear camera cannot see far enough to the sides for any software update to ever include rear cross traffic alert.

Reactions: zoomer0056
There will never be a solution to this problem on the cars people have today due to the camera placement and lack of rear radars.

I've started backing up into parking spots whenever possible in my 3, it's much safer to exit facing out. There are simply no other workaround to this problem as current owners, the rear camera cannot see far enough to the sides for any software update to ever include rear cross traffic alert.
I don’t agree that there will never be a solution. With this field of view, plus the use of cameras on the side, it’s very possible. Say you were backing out of a spot with cars on both sides of you. The USS on the side rear are not seeing the cross traffic until the car is already exposed. I think this is easily solvable by Tesla.

Attachments

• FE896D1D-19EA-4977-BC48-55EB7C2E28B9.jpeg
    FE896D1D-19EA-4977-BC48-55EB7C2E28B9.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 59
I don’t agree that there will never be a solution. With this field of view, plus the use of cameras on the side, it’s very possible. Say you were backing out of a spot with cars on both sides of you. The USS on the side rear are not seeing the cross traffic until the car is already exposed. I think this is easily solvable by Tesla.
The side cameras become useless when there are cars on your two sides (which is really the situation rear cross traffic was designed for). Note you can pull up the side cameras view in your reverse camera.

And if it is visible in the camera view anyways, then I don't see the point of the alert, as you can see with your own eyes that there is something there in the video feed.

The side radars in other cars instead shoot out to where it is not visible at all.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The side cameras become useless when there are cars on your two sides (which is really the situation rear cross traffic was designed for). Note you can pull up the side cameras view in your reverse camera.

And if it is visible in the camera view anyways, then I don't see the point of the alert, as you can see with your own eyes that there is something there in the video feed.

The side radars in other cars instead shoot out to where it is not visible at all.

I don't know about you, but I can't watch all 3 camera feeds, my front end, and checking the side windows, all at the same time. Warning of a vehicle which is in view of the camera is helpful for when you are not looking at said camera and/or don't notice things.

Tesla can predict when a car is going to come into my lane before it comes into my lane. Surely detecting a cross-traffic vehicle in my rear, when I'm reversing, is simple logic.

I don't know about you, but I can't watch all 3 camera feeds, my front end, and checking the side windows, all at the same time. Warning of a vehicle which is in view of the camera is helpful for when you are not looking at said camera and/or don't notice things.

Tesla can predict when a car is going to come into my lane before it comes into my lane. Surely detecting a cross-traffic vehicle in my rear, when I'm reversing, is simple logic.
They can’t do it without radar.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Can't do what? Warn of cars entering your lane?

If so, my 2023 M3P warned me of a semi it thought was going to enter my lane
Rear cross traffic alert.

1ee6ebbbb5a0f8351a22da2f733e169e_l-jpg.912658

Just look at the image showing how it works. As someone mentioned above, the side cameras are useless if you’re parked between two cars backing up — they can’t see two cars over like radar. And the backup camera isn’t going to see/warn of cars coming to the left and right of you perpendicular to your parking spot until you already have your ass hanging out. Cross traffic sees all that stuff as soon as you shift to reverse.

That’s why Tesla can’t do rear cross traffic alert and won’t be able to until it gets radar that fires out from both sides of the rear bumper like just about every other vehicle over $40,000 (and many under that mark).

Reactions: XPsionic
I don't see why you need to be looking at your front end when backing out of a spot, but I supposed you can make some argument about side windows, although if they weren't blocked and have wider FOV than the camera, it wouldn't add anything to look at the camera view (and if they were blocked then you would be looking at camera view anyways).
Completely different situation. When a car is coming up to your lane, the Tesla rear facing camera can see the whole vehicle approaching literally from hundreds of feet away.

In the rear cross traffic situation, it doesn't even get a partial glimpse of the vehicle edge until it is to the next car over. The current production software stack of Tesla does a poor job of vehicles that are only partially in frame. You can see this easily when a car straddles two cameras, it will blink in and out. Adding an alert based on this would only give a false sense of confidence and may be extremely misleading if people end up expecting the function of a rear cross traffic alert.

Reactions: XPsionic
Source? I have only read about the rumor the software to get HW4 working was planned for March, not that USS features would be restored.
And this rumor is not very believable, given the fact that this entire prediction of Teslascope turned out to be false:

- HW4 was not confirmed in any way on Investor Day;
- FSD v11 did not release;
- Elon didn't make the biggest announcement since the inception of the company (they're squirming on their Twitter feed to try and twist things: "Tesla announced they will electrify earth and that's the big bang announcement" but Tesla didn't say they'd do it alone AND it's the mission statement so we know this already for years)

So the Teslascope twitter feed cannot be trusted ever again. Pure clickbait.

Reactions: mgs333