Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also visited the tesla dealership a few days ago, and I asked a service rep when the features which I paid for ( I also purchased a Smart Summon) will be available. He said he does not have an ETA , but it will come eventually
I also said I complain and he said - "Go Ahead Complain" :)

So, after hearing this, we could start a petition and make our voices heard. What do you all think ?

You said you'll complain? What are you a 5 year old that's gonna have a hissy fit?

No adult talks like that to someone 🤦‍♂️

No one at a service center or showroom knows when object detection is coming back

There will never be a solution to this problem on the cars people have today due to the camera placement and lack of rear radars.

I've started backing up into parking spots whenever possible in my 3, it's much safer to exit facing out. There are simply no other workaround to this problem as current owners, the rear camera cannot see far enough to the sides for any software update to ever include rear cross traffic alert.
The only place not backed into is at Costco, for easy access to the hatch. Backing in to other places allows use of rear view camera and it just allows for a great view when exiting a parking space with forward motion. No USS needed when backing in and exiting forward.

Reactions: XPsionic
Backing into spaces is a solution for parking lots, but not for all situations. How are you supposed to back into the spot in this picture.
1677853595621.png

Found this statement interesting on Tesla’s web site:

Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet.

So while that’s good news at first glance, I can’t help but see the weasel words “at this time” jumping off the screen at me. Hopefully that’s not a position that changes anytime soon or ever.

It’s also interesting that Tesla calls the cars out there “our existing fleet”. THEIR fleet? That I / we paid for and own? 🤔

45 Angles spots like that has the travel lane visible in your rear view, I don't see the utility of a rear cross traffic alert in this situation. Where it matters is in 90 degrees spots.
Agreed that it matters more at 90 than 45. However it's easier to back into a 90 degree spot. I've been in plenty of the 45 degree spots when you are next to a longer vehicle than the Model Y or 3, where it's impossible to see the cross traffic from a human and/or backup camera perspective until you are far into the driving lane. It would be nice to be able to inch out a little and have notifications of cross traffic, before one get's too far into the driving lane.

Edited for clarity....

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Some people say the features aren’t coming. I just don’t believe that.
They make you sign off when you get the car that they are coming soon. The support page for Tesla vision still says coming soon. If they weren’t coming or ran into issues that made these features impossible to do with vision, they wouldn’t keep the “coming soon” thing Ongoing. I’m sure it will be coming and I just hope it’s sooner than later.
Soon? FSD has been coming soon for years. I just deleted enhanced autopilot from my build. I'll add it as "soon" as auto summon will work on my car. More likely, I'll trade it in for one with the proper sensors and new computer later this year or next.

Soon? FSD has been coming soon for years. I just deleted enhanced autopilot from my build. I'll add it as "soon" as auto summon will work on my car. More likely, I'll trade it in for one with the proper sensors and new computer later this year or next.
I’m not talking about FSD. Nobody ever said FSD will be out of beta “soon.” However it still currently says the missing summon and park missing features ARE coming soon, whatever soon means is a different story. When I took delivery I had to sign something saying that I agree these features are not available right now and they will be coming soon. It’s still says coming soon on the Tesla website I just don’t think they would keep this up if they feel that the features will never be coming.

I don't see why you need to be looking at your front end when backing out of a spot, but I supposed you can make some argument about side windows, although if they weren't blocked and have wider FOV than the camera, it wouldn't add anything to look at the camera view (and if they were blocked then you would be looking at camera view anyways).

If you don't have infinite room behind you then you may need to cut the wheel hard and have to make sure you front-end clears the cars, building, etc.

Reactions: jeewee3000
You said you'll complain? What are you a 5 year old that's gonna have a hissy fit?

No adult talks like that to someone 🤦‍♂️

No one at a service center or showroom knows when object detection is coming back
@Mr X
Yeah.. I should not complain. Why would I even complain? No Reason at all. I was delivered exactly what I ordered .
Nahh,, I purchased a car, which I was told has certain features, however, when it was time to pick it up these features were missing.... I was asking why are they missing ? An advisor told me it will be available next service update. I was picking up my car on November 19th , 2022.
Now since you are older than 5 year old and you know how "adult talks"-- teach me what should I do ?
Now, Imagine the following ,,,,
When you buy a TV and your are promised that this TV has some certain features, but when you come home , you discover that this TV does not have some features, @Mr X: what would you do since you are an adult and older than 5 ???

Last edited:
I’m not talking about FSD. Nobody ever said FSD will be out of beta “soon.” However it still currently says the missing summon and park missing features ARE coming soon, whatever soon means is a different story. When I took delivery I had to sign something saying that I agree these features are not available right now and they will be coming soon. It’s still says coming soon on the Tesla website I just don’t think they would keep this up if they feel that the features will never be coming.
Feelings are not facts. Facts are that there is little to no value in Enhanced Autopilot as it is, therefore why pay for it now when I we can add it later when it becomes functional? I said FSD as a way to gage what "soon" might mean when used by Tesla to describe lack of current functionality. Tesla has been promising FSD release "soon" for a really long time. Paying for full FSD is basically a kickstarter campaign to fund Tesla R&D - fine for what it is. Better to buy the stock to support R&D and get higher potential returns. I'm shelling out the Enhanced Autopilot upcharge as soon as reports that it's working fine in our hamstrung cars appear in the press.

Hi. I have a 2022 M3, and wifey is picking up her 2023 tomorrow. At this time, do the parking distance sensors work at all ? Partially? None? Anything else missing from basic AP? Thanks.
Look at the Tesla site, if it was enabled (even partially) it will show up there:
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support

Currently it says Park Assist, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon are "Coming Soon". The last 3 features are irrelevant to you if you have basic AP, as you need at minimum the EAP package for them to exist anyways.

Look at the Tesla site, if it was enabled (even partially) it will show up there:
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support

Currently it says Park Assist, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon are "Coming Soon". The last 3 features are irrelevant to you if you have basic AP, as you need at minimum the EAP package for them to exist anyways.
Yes. I was asking for experience of actual owners. There could be progress or surprises not reported there.

@Mr X
Yeah.. I should not complain. Why would I even complain? No Reason at all. I was delivered exactly what I ordered .
Nahh,, I purchased a car, which I was told has certain features, however, when it was time to pick it up these features were missing.... I was asking why are they missing ? An advisor told me it will be available next service update. I was picking up my car on November 19th , 2022.
Now since you are older than 5 year old and you know how "adult talks"-- teach me what should I do ?
Now, Imagine the following ,,,,
When you buy a TV and your are promised that this TV has some certain features, but when you come home , you discover that this TV does not have some features, @Mr X: what would you do since you are an adult and older than 5 ???
Depends on what you mean by “complain.” If this is just whining in a forum that Tesla doesn’t care about, then that is just that: whining. Then there’s a complaint that is action of some sort. These sorts of complaints could include letters to consumer publications, the Better Business Bureau, state consumer affairs agencies, etc., etc. Or if the complaint ratchets up to a filed lawsuit, or even dozens/hundreds of arbitration claims, that then becomes real and requires Tesla’s legal team to actually do something at a cost to Tesla. Then the complaint becomes real. No guarantee on the results though as Tesla has proven to be able to do whatever TF they want in every case so far. And…most complainers never get beyond the whining stage.

I would ask where you are on this spectrum.