Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what? (Not dissing you, just curious if you heard a rumor or something)
Fair question.

It's just based on my (perhaps faulty) reasoning:
  1. This is a big problem that Tesla SHOULD want to fix soon. They must be getting lots of complaints from new buyers.
  2. It should be a relatively easy thing to fix (this is for low speed travel).
  3. I don't think they would have removed the USSs unless an engineer said, "No problem. I can easily get it running with Vision Only, in fact I've already got a test version working."

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000
Fair question.

It's just based on my (perhaps faulty) reasoning:
  1. This is a big problem that Tesla SHOULD want to fix soon. They must be getting lots of complaints from new buyers.
  2. It should be a relatively easy thing to fix (this is for low speed travel).
  3. I don't think they would have removed the USSs unless an engineer said, "No problem. I can easily get it running with Vision Only, in fact I've already got a test version working."
Agree very much with point 1.

Tend to agree with point 3, but less convinced.

Disagree with point 2.

Measuring distance from video seems doable enough, given what we know about the Occupancy Network.

But measuring distance from video accurately and in all circumstances seems tricky (edge cases, weird glare/lighting, etc), and that seems to be the reason we're not seeing this update yet.

If they were to release a buggy version, and it would state for example "23cm" when approaching a wall when it was in fact 1cm and you drive into it, the lawsuits would be lined up around the block.

I'm sure they're proof-testing this thing even more than a standard FSDbeta release.

This is interesting. The car we bought has a build date of 10/22 on the door jam plate. It is listed as a 2023. it does not have USS. That indicates to me that this update might not be coming soon - it's been a while. I guess you could look at it the other way around, but I am more a natural cynic.

I've noticed that I am no longer receiving the audible proximity alerts. I have a 2022 M3 LRAWD w/ USS. It's all of a sudden completely quiet when approaching approaching an obstacle while parking. Any one else?
LOL This one was my own fault. I apparently had inadvertently turned off the parking sensors chimes. Once turned back on it works fine. Go figure.....

My 2023 M3 was delivered hamstrung on 3/7/22. There is no park assist, so it feels like a car from yesteryear. I do not understand why Tesla removed the sensors before Vision was ready. Perhaps this is why they discounted the M3 so much in January?
Oh purchased 2023 M3 back in November -- no park assist either. It was not discounted, I think I purchased when it was the most expensive.

Just curious if anyone in the waiting rooms are are having second thoughts about getting a 2023 Model Y without USS? I’m one of those people in the waiting room and hope to get my VIN this week. I‘m thinking that I will just need to be more selective about parking spaces and pay attention to the side and rear cameras which I do now anyway with my 2020 Model Y. I‘m hoping the software flx will come soon, maybe later this year. It’s hard to find another EV comparable in performance and size for the price (current price) of the MYP with or without USS. A 360 view would really be my preferred solution, so maybe that’s coming too. Finger crossed.

i doubt 360 view will come to 2023 models. i'm just hoping that parking sensors are enabled soon. from what i heard there is a dedicated team working on it so they can push it out within the next couple months or so. there is growing frustration around it, and would-be buyers are shelving their plans to purchase now and instead waiting for it to be released first before purchasing a tesla.

Just curious if anyone in the waiting rooms are are having second thoughts about getting a 2023 Model Y without USS? I’m one of those people in the waiting room and hope to get my VIN this week. I‘m thinking that I will just need to be more selective about parking spaces and pay attention to the side and rear cameras which I do now anyway with my 2020 Model Y. I‘m hoping the software flx will come soon, maybe later this year. It’s hard to find another EV comparable in performance and size for the price (current price) of the MYP with or without USS. A 360 view would really be my preferred solution, so maybe that’s coming too. Finger crossed.
They're starting to make some pretty good deals on Ioniq 5's now because they don't qualify for the rebate. An SEL comes in at just about what a MY costs after the rebate if you can get a couple grand off sticker. It has great safety features and I actually prefer it to my wife's MY. Also comes with 2 years free charging on Electrify America if they have good access in your area. If you do some YouTube research, it actually comes out ahead of the MY in most comparisons.

I have a 22 MYP. If I were in the market for a new one and I could pause I would. I would want to see how well the park sensing works with vision before committing. My primary concern is that there is no camera in the front bumper.

I doubt 360 view will come to current HW3 equipped cars. It may be possible once they implement HW4.

I'm sure Tesla will make it work the only questions are when and how well it will work.

so - as of today - 3/17/2023 - summon still unavailable?
I know this is all fantastic tech and incredibly complex to improve / implement, but in all reality I paid for advanced AP partially because of the summon feature due to the way my garage is configured.
Any word on when its coming?

Any word on when its coming?
As with all other Tesla features in development, the answer will always be: “soon.” In reality, this means whenever Tesla decides to deliver it, or never. Lots of examples of this. Don’t fret, assume it won’t happen, enjoy the vehicle. If it makes you feel better, tweet Elon now and then. I regret the snarkiness, but this is Tesla’s proven approach to things.

Reactions: alex77