Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my SA if I could delay my order until this feature restored I was told “This order cannot be placed on hold and this car will need to be delivered within 3 days of arrival.”

I’m going into the retail store tomorrow and ask again. If I’m told no and they cancel my order I think I have a good case for small claims court.

So they said they won't refund your $250 order fee if you cancel?

it does not matter if you are 70 cm from an object or just about to hit it.
Not true for my car. One tone for distances greater than 30 cm, a different tone for under 30 cm. Different in Europe??

I agree that it would be better if the tone changed incrementally. The car has the information since it displays the distance—seems like it would be easy to change the tones as well.

Last edited:
I feel like so many people forget the ability of AutoPilot and FSD when discussing the removal of USS.

Now if AutoPilot is capable of visualising cones, obstacles, 360 degree objects at all heights and at all times even far into the distance.

&

The car is able to identify how many miles has been driven based on wheel rotations.

Then vision will indeed be more accurate than USS to the millimetre.

Teslas talented software engineers (those people smarter than us) will design Vision to identify the objects around you and can communicate will all parts of your car. (Not just a speaker to give you a beep.) Then calculate how many wheel turns to the smallest fraction before contact.
So, problem solved. And that’s just the start. All a USS can do right now is look ugly, beep at you and leaves room for error E.g small posts, cones etc

As for the argument of “my old cheap cars” have these sensors, then I’m sorry that’s no argument at all. Stop living in the past. Anyone sad their phone doesn’t have a headphone jack either? Technological improvements are amazing, pay some respect to the incredible feat of engineering and stop complaining 😂💀

Sounds like you hit something huh. 😅 With the mirrors and camera on every side of the car, why do you even need a beep? And the visualizer shows how many inches away you are from an object when you get close enough. All of that seems sufficient unless you're trying to park blindfolded.
Except the nose, where the only indication of how close you are to a low object in front is the ultrasonic sensor based display on the screen and beeping.

However, the display on the screen is sufficient in getting close to but not hitting something while parking. But newer cars without ultrasonic sensors are waiting for whatever is supposed to replace the functionality.

Not true for my car. One tone for distances greater than 30 cm, a different tone for under 30 cm. Different in Europe??

I agree that it would be better if the tone changed incrementally. The car has the information since it displays the distance—seems like it would be easy to change the tones as well.

My car sounds the same tones as the ones in your video. Plus, if you continue past the 'STOP" warning at 12 ", it emits a really high pitched collision warning tone.

I feel like so many people forget the ability of AutoPilot and FSD when discussing the removal of USS.

Now if AutoPilot is capable of visualising cones, obstacles, 360 degree objects at all heights and at all times even far into the distance.

&

The car is able to identify how many miles has been driven based on wheel rotations.

Teslas talented software engineers (those people smarter than us) will design Vision to identify the objects around you and can communicate will all parts of your car. (Not just a speaker to give you a beep.) Then calculate how many wheel turns to the smallest fraction before contact.
So, problem solved. And that’s just the start. All a USS can do right now is look ugly, beep at you and leaves room for error E.g small posts, cones etc

As for the argument of “my old cheap cars” have these sensors, then I’m sorry that’s no argument at all. Stop living in the past. Anyone sad their phone doesn’t have a headphone jack either? Technological improvements are amazing, pay some respect to the incredible feat of engineering and stop complaining 😂💀
Sure, if it EVER is a priority for them to work on, and have the time. Just like all the BS I was fed that the TeslaVision setup when I took delivery of my Y without radar was their ultimate plan. Months rolled by and I had horrendous phantom braking issues. Then half a year and it still sucked. I just needed to be patient I was told has Tesla has all these brilliant engineers that would make it better.

It should have been RIGHT before they removed the radar. Not make me wait months and months and months, only to have it still worse than the cars that had radar. They should have put in the time to fix the code and test it before they rolled it out. I am sure this is how the USS removal will play out. In the interim how many people are going to have their cars messed up when a pretty important feature like this isn't ready for prime time?

&

Really totally beside my point. My phone has no headphone jack indeed but it DOES HAVE bluetooth functionality. Not the promise that it will have bluetooth functionality somewhere in the future and that it will be amazing.
As said, I agree that Tesla Vision could be better than USS, but for the moment it's not available so for the time being it's a lot worse simply because it's not there.
If you remove something, make sure the alternative is in place.

I think the part you are referring to is saying it is "better" for Tesla, not necessarily for the customer (other than getting their car delivered in a more timely manner).

Price saving all for Tesla for sure. Check out Munroe Live sometime, getting rid of the stalks for blinker etc and replacing with (for me quite lame) haptic buttons on the wheel was something on the order of $12 per side, not a lot till you consider how that multiples by number of cars. No part is great for Tesla, not so much always for the buyers

Reactions: pilotSteve
2022 M3P; Mine don't seem to suffer from those issues... I get a constant dinging, that goes to a loud CHIME when you're very close. I also like the graphic line representation as well. It simultaneously shows a more distant object like a wall, but also shows a "lobe" in the line if there was something like a post before the wall, and the chiming is based on the distance to the post, not the wall.

I'm very happy how the USS works. Not very happy that they removed them and "might" in the future disable the one's that are already out there :(

I am not as wary of the updates as some people are and I install them as they come through. As far as the USS issue, I believe that Elon Musk is very serious about marketing extremely safe, full self driving vehicles. I don't think he would jeopardize this goal by substituting vision for the sensors just save money. Whatever system is used would have to be equal or superior to the system now in use in order to achieve safe and reliable FSD capabilities.

I like the USS in my car but if a software update installs a superior system that uses cameras and computers, it will be OK by me.

Reactions: dho112
I am not as wary of the updates as some people are and I install them as they come through. As far as the USS issue, I believe that Elon Musk is very serious about marketing extremely safe, full self driving vehicles. I don't think he would jeopardize this goal by substituting vision for the sensors just save money. Whatever system is used would have to be equal or superior to the system now in use in order to achieve safe and reliable FSD capabilities.

I like the USS in my car but if a software update installs a superior system that uses cameras and computers, it will be OK by me.
I think most people are just VERY nervous about the "transition period" between a well functioning vision only system, and reliance on USS.

I can see the strength of Elon's argument that removing a system that adds complexity (not just cost) and is thus a secondary point of failure is good planning. I just share the sentiment concerning; how many links in the chain can you remove (especially as it involves safety) before it becomes an issue. Is it possible to ever get to a "one link" chain? And as the USS sensors are disabled before the Vision system is ready how many millions of cars and billions of miles of driving will be done while relying solely on the, "interim system".

Though it might not be possible, it would have been better had the vision system been perfected and introduced first, then the USS system deactivated.

If you mean the computer hardware used for ADAS / Autopilot features, then that transition occurred in 2016, when Tesla had no significant competition for longer range electric vehicles.

Once all of the following are true:
  • The overall car market is more typical of the past, rather than being in car shortage.
  • Electric vehicles generally are not in short supply relative to demand.
  • There are competing electric vehicles that buyers considering Teslas also consider.
then Tesla may find it more difficult in the market to remove capabilities before the replacement of those capabilities is available, especially if those capabilities are also common among competing electric vehicles.
Dream on.....EM does what EM wants when he wants
I cant believe they can just remove paid FSD features without a ready fix, they should change the description of the Enhanced & Full FSD features, all those missing features make up 90% of the Enhanced FSD features. Think they have an oversupply of 3 & Y, there is no wait time for 3 & Y