Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Store told me today that current MY non-USS deliveries already have parking sensor functionality enabled. Is this accurate as far as anyone here knows? If not, maybe there is a newer software version that some cars haven’t yet received?
I haven't read any accounts yet reporting this. It's not impossible though given sometimes factory cars have unique firmware.

But it could also be possible the store personnel are misinformed, which isn't the first time it has happened.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Some interesting reads. Here is what the FAA says about monocular vision. Here is an interesting passage.

"Although it has been repeatedly demonstrated that binocular vision is not a prerequisite for flying, some aspects of depth perception, either by stereopsis or by monocular cues, are necessary. It takes time for the monocular airman to develop the techniques to interpret the monocular cues that substitute for stereopsis; such as, the interposition of objects, convergence, geometrical perspective, distribution of light and shade, size of known objects, aerial perspective, and motion parallax.

In addition, it takes time for the monocular airman to compensate for his or her decrease in effective visual field. A monocular airman's effective visual field is reduced by as much as 30% by monocularity. This is especially important because of speed smear; i.e., the effect of speed diminishes the effective visual field such that normal visual field is decreased from 180 degrees to as narrow as 42 degrees or less as speed increases. A monocular airman's reduced effective visual field would be reduced even further than 42 degrees by speed smear."

A good overview of stereo vision aka multiview geometry.

A great read on using a single camera even if a bit dated. It was written in 2015 so likely relevant when Tesla was developing their AP/FSD systems. Just reading the abstract is interesting. I bolded the part Elon was most likely interested in.

Object Distance Measurement Using a Single Camera for Robotic Applications

An excerpt from the abstract.
"The stereovision method uses two cameras to find the object’s depth and is highly accurate. However, it is costly compared to the monovision technique due to the higher computational burden and the cost of two cameras (rather than one) and related accessories. In addition, in stereovision, a larger number of images of the object need to be processed in real-time, and by increasing the distance of the object from cameras, the measurement accuracy decreases. In the time-of-flight distance measurement technique, distance information is obtained by measuring the total time for the light to transmit to and reflect from the object. The shortcoming of this technique is that it is difficult to separate the incoming signal, since it depends on many parameters such as the intensity of the reflected light, the intensity of the background light, and the dynamic range of the sensor. However, for applications such as rescue robot or object manipulation by a robot in a home and office environment, the high accuracy distance measurement provided by stereovision is not required. Instead, the monovision approach is attractive for some applications due to: i) lower cost and lower computational burden; and ii) lower complexity due to the use of only one camera."

So TL;DR - no robotaxi this year?

Store told me today that current MY non-USS deliveries already have parking sensor functionality enabled. Is this accurate as far as anyone here knows? If not, maybe there is a newer software version that some cars haven’t yet received?
I'll let you know. I'm picking up a Shanghai-made Model Y RWD in a couple of days and am praying for basic parking-sensor functionality. I had to click "Agree" on my account to schedule delivery on a pop-up message regarding no USS.

Some people in this thread said: "if you need that functionality, don't take delivery." It's not as simple as that:
- some of us need the new car since the old one is gone;
- when I buy a 60k car I expect basic functionality that a 10k car has nowadays;
- Tesla promises equal functionality "soon", so it's not like I agreed to not having the functionality.

Really disappointed that Tesla didn't first get the software working before removing USS. This is my first Tesla vehicle ever, and I have to explain to my wife our most expensive car ever (by far) will not have basic functionality, possibly resulting in damaging said expensive car when driving front first into our garage.

Really not happy about this, but I'll just hope Tesla AI Day wasn't BS and the occupancy network does in fact provide accurate obstacle distance measurements.

Don't expect parking sensor functionality. I have yet to see anybody on this forum confirming it works. I have a brand new 2023 Model 3 without USS, and none of the previous USS functions are active.

Well they say they will do this, so safe to expect. Whether it ever comes, ever works well or not at all is the real question.

Meanwhile, it is not uncommon to see the scene of a wreck on a normal roadway. However, statistics show that 20 percent of car accidents – that is one out of every five – happen in a parking lot. These seemingly minor crashes cause around 500 deaths and 60,000 injuries every single year.

Does Tesla believe it is a safety issue to not have USS/parking sensors?

I was pulling into a parking spot and normally the car beeps when I get close to the curb. Today the car did not beep at all, basically the front buper ended up on the curb. I don't see any damage but is it possible it damaged the chassis? What I'm more worried about is why the sensors did not pick up the curb like normal. After I hit the curb of course I backed up and parked again and the sensors worked normally this time. I guess the only way I will really know if it caused any chassis damage is to take it to Tesla for them to look under the car. I just wish I knew why the sensors did to work correctly.

I was pulling into a parking spot and normally the car beeps when I get close to the curb. Today the car did not beep at all, basically the front buper ended up on the curb. I don't see any damage but is it possible it damaged the chassis? What I'm more worried about is why the sensors did not pick up the curb like normal. After I hit the curb of course I backed up and parked again and the sensors worked normally this time. I guess the only way I will really know if it caused any chassis damage is to take it to Tesla for them to look under the car. I just wish I knew why the sensors did to work correctly.
The USS are not designed to detect curbs at all, in fact they warn specifically not to rely on them to do so:

"Park Assist may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is located below approximately 8 inches (20 cm) (such as a curb or low barrier)."

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
The USS are not designed to detect curbs at all, in fact they warn specifically not to rely on them to do so:

"Park Assist may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is located below approximately 8 inches (20 cm) (such as a curb or low barrier)."

I had no idea, every parking spot I've gone to has signaled when to stop. I will make sure to not rely on the sensors from now on.

Thank you for letting me know.

I had no idea, every parking spot I've gone to has signaled when to stop. I will make sure to not rely on the sensors from now on.

Thank you for letting me know.
Are you sure it's not telling you the distance from the object in front (not the curb)? The parking assist tells you to stop when it is around 12 inches away from an object in front. In my experience, my car has never been able to detect the actual curb stop. It only gives a warning when there is something on top like bushes or a wall.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Are you sure it's not telling you the distance from the object in front (not the curb)? The parking assist tells you to stop when it is around 12 inches away from an object in front. In my experience, my car has never been able to detect the actual curb stop. It only gives a warning when there is something on top like bushes or a wall.
I'm not totally sure. I just mean, when I pull into the parking spot, normally it beeps when I get close to the curb. Behind the curb is just the sidewalk so I don't think it could be detecting the side walk. That's why I always thought it was detecting the curb. But like you said, the sensors are not low enough to see the curb, so I don't know what it's detecting.

Meanwhile, it is not uncommon to see the scene of a wreck on a normal roadway. However, statistics show that 20 percent of car accidents – that is one out of every five – happen in a parking lot. These seemingly minor crashes cause around 500 deaths and 60,000 injuries every single year.

Does Tesla believe it is a safety issue to not have USS/parking sensors?
Did you mean to say that people have died from accidents in parking lots?

Reactions: james35280