Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been several reports and videos demonstrating how 2023 Tesla cars without the USS(proximity sensors) will not come with any proximity functionality.

Now, it is certainly possible that these features will be re-enabled by using the cameras instead of the sensors in a future update. However, there are blind spots below the front bumper that the cameras cannot see. Perhaps they are just going to assume the objects don’t move after they go out of view?

I just want everyone to understand that until the update comes the 2023 cars are missing functionality that some customers might see as essential especially if you park your car in a tight space or garage.

They probably will get away with it during the current car shortage. But in more normal car markets, there would be more market pressure to have the replacement functionality ready before removing the hardware.
That’s not how Tesla operates. Many hardware upgrades in the past resulted in a temporary loss of functionality. The worst I recall was the transition from HW1 to HW2 — it took 1-2 years for HW2 cars to reach parity with HW1 in all respects.

That’s not how Tesla operates. Many hardware upgrades in the past resulted in a temporary loss of functionality. The worst I recall was the transition from HW1 to HW2 — it took 1-2 years for HW2 cars to reach parity with HW1 in all respects.
If you mean the computer hardware used for ADAS / Autopilot features, then that transition occurred in 2016, when Tesla had no significant competition for longer range electric vehicles.

Once all of the following are true:
  • The overall car market is more typical of the past, rather than being in car shortage.
  • Electric vehicles generally are not in short supply relative to demand.
  • There are competing electric vehicles that buyers considering Teslas also consider.
then Tesla may find it more difficult in the market to remove capabilities before the replacement of those capabilities is available, especially if those capabilities are also common among competing electric vehicles.

took delivery about a week ago and noticed that my park assist wasn't even an option. no visual nor sonic proximity indication at all.
the "park assist chime" option isn't even available under control-safety within the car app.
while i was going nuts thinking if this basic feature was available only with the additional package (enhanced auto pilot, FSD, etc), i ran into this article.

can someone confirm that this is the reason why? and if so, any guess on how long it'll take for this feature to come back?
for some context, my car is 2023 M3 RWD (Standard) with no additional option. software version indicates 2022.28.400 (which seems a bit outdated, but phone app isn't indicating that an update is due)

thank you in advance.

(moderator note)

Made this a sticky thread since we are starting to get multiple people creating new threads with questions on this topic of missing park assist, summon etc. It would be nice if someone who took delivery recently without USS would let us know what, if any, disclosures they needed to acknowledge.

If you mean the computer hardware used for ADAS / Autopilot features, then that transition occurred in 2016, when Tesla had no significant competition for longer range electric vehicles.

Once all of the following are true:
  • The overall car market is more typical of the past, rather than being in car shortage.
  • Electric vehicles generally are not in short supply relative to demand.
  • There are competing electric vehicles that buyers considering Teslas also consider.
then Tesla may find it more difficult in the market to remove capabilities before the replacement of those capabilities is available, especially if those capabilities are also common among competing electric vehicles.
People are still ordering Teslas faster than they can build them, and that’s not likely to change anytime soon. Even when it does, I’m not convinced Tesla will change the way they roll out hardware changes, because that impacts existing owners more than potential buyers.

(moderator note)

Made this a sticky thread since we are starting to get multiple people creating new threads with questions on this topic of missing park assist, summon etc. It would be nice if someone who took delivery recently without USS would let us know what, if any, disclosures they needed to acknowledge.
I took delivery on Oct. 29th. Updated to 2022.40.4 last night. No Park Assist with this update. I didn't sign/acknowledge any disclosures.

I took delivery on Oct. 29th. Updated to 2022.40.4 last night. No Park Assist with this update. I didn't sign/acknowledge any disclosures.

Just to confirm, does your vehicle have ultrasonic sensors? Im assuming you know what those are, but in the chance that you dont, they would be the little physical round disc like things you see on almost every vehicle on the road now, easiest to see in the rear bumper.

As a new owner, if you are unhappy about the missing proximity sensor functionality then you should at a minimum create a service request in the app and talk to Tesla Sales. They need to know that people want this functionality back, at least equal to what we had before with the ultrasonic sensors. Even better, add a 360 degree camera feed view also with a front bumper camera. Other EVs have this.

As a new owner, if you are unhappy about the missing proximity sensor functionality then you should at a minimum create a service request in the app and talk to Tesla Sales. They need to know that people want this functionality back, at least equal to what we had before with the ultrasonic sensors. Even better, add a 360 degree camera feed view also with a front bumper camera. Other EVs have this.
Dream on.....EM does what EM wants when he wants

Reactions: blower
The park distance functionality is already back. It came back last week with software 2022.40.4. I received a notification in the app yesterday asking me if I want to install 2022.40.4 - I’ve been busy with work so haven’t had a chance to install / test it yet, but the release notes show that the park distance functionality has returned for 2023 model cars that do not have USS (my model 3 is a 2023 that does not have USS).

As for auto park, summon, and smart summon, these features are still not added back yet in the new 2023 cars, according to the 2022.40.4 release notes. However, it only took Tesla a few weeks to add back the park distance, so hopefully it won’t take much longer before they add back the remaining missing features (summon, auto park, etc).

The park distance functionality is already back. It came back last week with software 2022.40.4. I received a notification in the app yesterday asking me if I want to install 2022.40.4 - I’ve been busy with work so haven’t had a chance to install / test it yet, but the release notes show that the park distance functionality has returned for 2023 model cars that do not have USS (my model 3 is a 2023 that does not have USS).
Have you actually seen the release notes, or are you basing it on a report from a hacker that there is some internal code included. (But from what I have seen hasn't been enabled, or exposed to the UI yet.)

I drove out of the garage and back this morning. No joy.

Nothing in the release notes: 2022.40.4 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates