Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Canadians here? I’m facing the same issue. $5000CAD discount if I take Model Y delivery this week. There is no gov rebate next year so there’s no fallback plan unlike the US, but it’s possible Tesla prices may fall due to demand shortage + competition from other companies. Lack of USS is a huge issue as I’m too used to having it on my Lexus, and Canadian winters are not camera-friendly. Additionally due to the extremely low suspension of Tesla’s it’s easy to bump into objects on the floor such as those wheel stoppers. I’m not having high hopes proper parking assist will ever be added if I take delivery now, as the sensors are hardware, and I’m not paying Musk like 10k for something he removed.

Reactions: XPsionic and xcyber
I'm surprised how many people want USS when there is no radar. It wasn't that long ago that people had to use visual cues on their hood or trunk to determine how far to park forward/backward. Very little was lost by removing the USS - it's the gap between Tesla w/USS and current cars with radar where we see the larger delta.

And its not like they need radar for the backup crash avoidance, they are already doing people/car/object detection in the car as it is. Just warn me about it when reversing.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
(moderator note)

Made this a sticky thread since we are starting to get multiple people creating new threads with questions on this topic of missing park assist, summon etc. It would be nice if someone who took delivery recently without USS would let us know what, if any, disclosures they needed to acknowledge.
I took delivery last week 12/19/22, they don't say anything about the missing sensors. I got home with my new car and only realized when I tried to park in the garage that I had no sensors. Supposedly something you sign releases them from car returns. I heard if they don't disclose you can return car. I think it is very lame that they bury the sensor info in taking delivery. I assumed I was signing just to take delivery of vehicle not to release them from liability for selling me a 70,000 dollar car that is less safe than the 22 model. I am really pissed and don't even want this car anymore. model Y 23

Reactions: phishphan
I took delivery last week 12/19/22, they don't say anything about the missing sensors. I got home with my new car and only realized when I tried to park in the garage that I had no sensors. Supposedly something you sign releases them from car returns. I heard if they don't disclose you can return car.
When did you place your order? If you ordered after they announced the removal of the USS parking assist feature, they wouldn't have to notify you of anything prior to delivery.

I took delivery last week 12/19/22, they don't say anything about the missing sensors. I got home with my new car and only realized when I tried to park in the garage that I had no sensors. Supposedly something you sign releases them from car returns. I heard if they don't disclose you can return car. I think it is very lame that they bury the sensor info in taking delivery. I assumed I was signing just to take delivery of vehicle not to release them from liability for selling me a 70,000 dollar car that is less safe than the 22 model. I am really pissed and don't even want this car anymore. model Y 23

I understand the outrage, but dont understand people talking about "less safe". That undermines your point, because its hyperbole/. "less convenient" sure. "I hate they did this" sure. "less safe" no

I can understand those who are outraged and those who say we should rely more on our own skills (and our own balls--tennis balls).

But I'm convinced this is a temporary thing, and that we'll have the warning tones back within six months, maybe sooner. That's because I see it as an easy task, and one with less risk.

Note that the car doesn't even have to do the driving, just beep if it thinks things are too close. Even with self parking, the car can give up if it gets scared, as my 2020 does half the time when backing into the garage by itself.

Compared with preventing a deadly collision with a semi at 80 MPH, preventing a collision with a box of Christmas ornaments is less stressful and the task can be handed off to a more junior programmer.

Any Canadians here? I’m facing the same issue. $5000CAD discount if I take Model Y delivery this week. There is no gov rebate next year so there’s no fallback plan unlike the US, but it’s possible Tesla prices may fall due to demand shortage + competition from other companies. Lack of USS is a huge issue as I’m too used to having it on my Lexus, and Canadian winters are not camera-friendly. Additionally due to the extremely low suspension of Tesla’s it’s easy to bump into objects on the floor such as those wheel stoppers. I’m not having high hopes proper parking assist will ever be added if I take delivery now, as the sensors are hardware, and I’m not paying Musk like 10k for something he removed.
The USS doesn't even "See" lower curbs so you won't be missing out on much.

It annoys me that I paid for some features that they have took away the sensors when they did not have a replacement.

Most companies do this the other way around.
I think a lot of people feel that way, including myself. I actually use the capabilities that have been “temporarily” taken away quite a bit. Of course I don’t rely on them but they do make parking/backing up much easier and safer. I’m surprised the removal of these capabilities did not impact the safety ratings of the vehicle.

A few cases where I feel safety has been compromised.

1) backing out of a driveway with limited visibility and having some sort of alert that a car, person or other moving object is approaching your path. Please correct me if I’m wrong but without the sensors and/or Teslvision this is not possible for the cars sold over the past few months?

2) backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot. This concerns me the most. I am constantly checking mirrors, etc but there is that additonal layer of assurance(or confidence) when you get some sort of warning there may be an objective (aka small child, etc) approaching.

Hopefully Im Not misspeaking when I speak about these limitations . If so please do correct me as I’m alittle green to the Tesla capabilities and experience..;)

Yes these are first world problems. But they are first world problems that could potentially save lives. Maybe I’m over exaggerating a little, but it does feel like the safety of the car has been compromised to me.

Reactions: GoodKarma
I think a lot of people feel that way, including myself. I actually use the capabilities that have been “temporarily” taken away quite a bit. Of course I don’t rely on them but they do make parking/backing up much easier and safer. I’m surprised the removal of these capabilities did not impact the safety ratings of the vehicle.

A few cases where I feel safety has been compromised.

1) backing out of a driveway with limited visibility and having some sort of alert that a car, person or other moving object is approaching your path. Please correct me if I’m wrong but without the sensors and/or Teslvision this is not possible for the cars sold over the past few months?

2) backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot. This concerns me the most. I am constantly checking mirrors, etc but there is that additonal layer of assurance(or confidence) when you get some sort of warning there may be an objective (aka small child, etc) approaching.

Hopefully Im Not misspeaking when I speak about these limitations . If so please do correct me as I’m alittle green to the Tesla capabilities and experience..;)

Yes these are first world problems. But they are first world problems that could potentially save lives. Maybe I’m over exaggerating a little, but it does feel like the safety of the car has been compromised to me.
I think you are overdoing it a bit. Millions of cars don't have ultrasonic sensors and those drivers manage not to run people over when manoeuvring thanks to the windows and mirrors. You even have a reversing camera which millions of cars don't have. Presumably, you passed a driving test without USS.

I get people's frustration at a £50k car not having USS, but I don't really buy the 'it's not safe' argument.

I think you are overdoing it a bit. Millions of cars don't have ultrasonic sensors and those drivers manage not to run people over when manoeuvring thanks to the windows and mirrors. You even have a reversing camera which millions of cars don't have. Presumably, you passed a driving test without USS.

I get people's frustration at a £50k car not having USS, but I don't really buy the 'it's not safe' argument.
I think it’s one of those things where if you are use to the capability from previously owned cars then it’s hard to go back.

Again, first world problems. Keep in mind that right now this decision by Tesla has not hit mainstream media. And it won’t unless there is an unfortunate event that either takes the life or severely injures someone. And it won’t matter if these features don’t exist on other cars. Because they DO on most Tesla’s and many feel they could have kept the hardware in place until they developed Teslavision. I’m sure their corporate lawyers have already weighed the risk and potential liability so it’s all calculated similar to how safety recalls are developed. There is always risk, it’s how much can be accepted and at what cost.