Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did pick up a 2023 Model 3 RWD without USS. Honestly my previous vehicle was a 2020 ford escape titanium with USS. I never really used them while backing in the tiny 1 car garage. They were in my opinion useless, due to the fact that at a certain distance they were highest/red binging away annoyingly. The Escape had a button to turn them off which I did when backing into the garage since I would get the passenger mirror really close to the wall to allow easy driver side entry/exit.

I am interested in how Vision will "reproduce" the driver assistance feature. Though I have zero complaints without it, being the mirrors/cameras work as I would expect.

Reactions: Cypcode
I believe the new Tesla model cars come with upgraded camera quality? Something like 5mp? So I’m guessing there are future features in the works. I’m thinking the Tesla cameras will be able to scan and make out depth and shape of obstacles, like an iPhone camera doing face recognition.

I believe the new Tesla model cars come with upgraded camera quality? Something like 5mp? So I’m guessing there are future features in the works. I’m thinking the Tesla cameras will be able to scan and make out depth and shape of obstacles, like an iPhone camera doing face recognition.
If they are 5mp, they don't show that from Sentry or Dash cam footage. They show 1280x960 resolution.

Reactions: SalisburySam
If they are 5mp, they don't show that from Sentry or Dash cam footage. They show 1280x960 resolution.
It could be they are 2x2 binning from 2560 x 1920 (a typical 5MP Samsung sensor), which brings it back down to 1280x960. But there so far is zero actual evidence the new side cameras have a different sensor (even though they have a new lens).

backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot. This concerns me the most. I am constantly checking mirrors, etc but there is that additonal layer of assurance(or confidence) when you get some sort of warning there may be an objective (aka small child, etc) approaching.
I would like a cross traffic alert, too (and the other car I was considering before deciding on my Model 3, a $20k Bolt EUV has this lol...). That said, my understanding is that Teslas never had this. It has a nice backup camera, which is helpful, but for true cross traffic alerts you need two rear bumper mounted radars pointing sideways. I think the sensors they removed were short distances and only pointing forward.

I would like a cross traffic alert, too (and the other car I was considering before deciding on my Model 3, a $20k Bolt EUV has this lol...). That said, my understanding is that Teslas never had this. It has a nice backup camera, which is helpful, but for true cross traffic alerts you need two rear bumper mounted radars pointing sideways. I think the sensors they removed were short distances and only pointing forward.
Ok that’s good to know. I just assumed that when backing up and an object comes in your path there would be an audible notification with an eventual intervention(steering wheel vibrates and/or brakes engage).

Ok that’s good to know. I just assumed that when backing up and an object comes in your path there would be an audible notification with an eventual intervention(steering wheel vibrates and/or brakes engage).
Teslas never had that functionality, I have never seen anyone report a reverse intervention or warning, nor does the manual mention it. You have to look yourself with the 3 rear facing cameras.

The only thing the USS does in the back is have a visual and audio ping as you approach an object and it generally is designed to judge distance to large objects like walls and cars. It was not designed to prevent cross traffic collisions, so you still need to rely on the cameras anyways.

Interesting. I guess I’ve been spoiled with the last few cars I’ve owned having these capabilities. Those features have been very helpful and hopefully Tesla can add them via OTA updates at some point.

So given that info I’m not really sure how much additional benefit the sensors are. My garage is pretty tight so it would be nice to use summons to pull it back in without having to open the driver side door with minimal clearance. But from what I’ve researched that feature is not consistent enough to rely on.

If there're indirect information that Tesla plan to install a HD radar, does this mean that Tesla has switched to integrating the radar into the system and there will be no parking only with Tesla Vision?

I personally think there will be park assist and auto park with vision only. If they can’t, then they would likely need to retrofit whatever hardware is needed to cars without USS, especially for people who purchased EAP or FSD.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I personally think there will be park assist and auto park with vision only. If they can’t, then they would likely need to retrofit whatever hardware is needed to cars without USS, especially for people who purchased EAP or FSD.
Tesla already has a statement on their site that USS is coming off the S and X, soon. So they must be confident that the vision-based solution is an acceptable replacement.

Tesla already has a statement on their site that USS is coming off the S and X, soon. So they must be confident that the vision-based solution is an acceptable replacement.
Mentioned this in another thread, but Tesla in FSD Beta is already making out depth and shape of obstacles using their newly introduced Occupancy Network (ON). This technology was mentioned explicitly in the announcement for USS removal.
Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

It's a matter of writing the software to tie the UI to the ON output, but there is evidence they are working on it (the current evidence is they will start out just using the distance information as a drop in replacement of USS function, even stimulating the locations of the USS sensors).

With the ON however, there is plenty more information available to create far more advanced visualizations than was even possible with USS. I hope to have a curb line indicator, which would solve the issue of scraping the front of the car on parking blocks and or the rims on the curb on the side of the road, something currently the USS don't help address.

Can confirm, my 11/2022 build Model 3 Performance (and every Model 3 I've seen for delivery at Dallas + Plano locations) has the new cameras.

However in practice, they don't seem to look any better/different than the ones on my 2020 Model 3. Possibly even a tad worse due to compression artifacts I've noticed?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Can confirm, my 11/2022 build Model 3 Performance (and every Model 3 I've seen for delivery at Dallas + Plano locations) has the new cameras.

However in practice, they don't seem to look any better/different than the ones on my 2020 Model 3. Possibly even a tad worse due to compression artifacts I've noticed?
From what was discovered; they might not be using them at any higher resolution so may not be much different. Prob Tesla got a good deal on some 5mp cameras that Samsung had production capacity for

Reactions: android04

But do you have just the cameras or the new HW4 AP computer? The current HW3 computer probably can’t process multiple 5MP streams.

There have been several reports and videos demonstrating how 2023 Tesla cars without the USS(proximity sensors) will not come with any proximity functionality.

Now, it is certainly possible that these features will be re-enabled by using the cameras instead of the sensors in a future update. However, there are blind spots below the front bumper that the cameras cannot see. Perhaps they are just going to assume the objects don’t move after they go out of view?

I just want everyone to understand that until the update comes the 2023 cars are missing functionality that some customers might see as essential especially if you park your car in a tight space or garage.

"Perhaps they are just going to assume the objects don’t move after they go out of view?"
There is no other option and on one condition that we do not deal with cats and dogs and babies