Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys. I took the plunge and factory reset last night. The wet spaghetti noodles now present themselves. Didn't take long to set the car back up, only a couple of things weren't saved in the profile.
I went ahead and did it also. It wasn't so bad setting everything back up after all, but the profiles didn't come back over so I had to create them again as well as a few other minor things. But.....I have squiggly lines now too!

Hi all,

I am a Tesla and forum newbie. I have a model 3 on order and just read online they have removed the parking sensors. I stupidly assumed the car would have these as it's been such a standard feature in the cars I have owned that I didn't give it a second thought. I know they are moving towards Tesla Vision and I also read that the software update has been released as of March 2023 but can't find any concrete information on this. Can anyone confirm if the software update for Tesla Vision has been released and if it's effective for replacing parking sensors?

I can cancel the order but will lose £295 so just want to know people experience before I make any decisions.

Thanks

The tesla vision update has been released. It works but is not quite as effectively as the USS version. That will probably change.

Here's what I mean.

When I back our 2020 into the garage, I hear tones that indicate things are close. If I get too close to something, I get a louder tone, and I stop.

When I back our 2023 into the garage, there are no tones. In other situations I get tones, but for some reason, no tones backing into the garage. The display shows how close things are, but I don't want to look over at that. Once that is fixed via software, the vision system will be pretty good.

Also, the vision system may be less accurate.

The tesla vision update has been released. It works but is not quite as effectively as the USS version. That will probably change.

Here's what I mean.

When I back our 2020 into the garage, I hear tones that indicate things are close. If I get too close to something, I get a louder tone, and I stop.

When I back our 2023 into the garage, there are no tones. In other situations I get tones, but for some reason, no tones backing into the garage. The display shows how close things are, but I don't want to look over at that. Once that is fixed via software, the vision system will be pretty good.

Also, the vision system may be less accurate.
Thanks that's good to hear that the update is out albeit not working as it should but I hear Tesla are quite good at software updates so I can live with that.

Thanks that's good to hear that the update is out albeit not working as it should but I hear Tesla are quite good at software updates so I can live with that.
Take a test drive and see for yourself. I find the current vision based park assist to be unreliable. Not confident it will improve with software updates. They’ve had more than six months to work on this and the vision based system is not close to parity with the old ultrasonic sensor system. If this feature is important to you, I recommend you cancel and wait until they work this out.

Just bought my M3RWD last week and have been reading through this thread to catch up. Love the car, but the vision based front parking assist in my garage is very poor, with the car telling me to stop with a good two feet of space still remaining to the wall. I'm wondering if anyone has found any tricks for changing the environment to make this better? I do have some clutter on the wall (folding table, pots, golf clubs, ect.) that could be removed. It's also somewhat dark in there, so I wonder if improving the lighting helps. Does pausing before pulling all the way in help? It does sometimes change the wall to the left into a semi truck, which is mostly just funny. I do have hope that it will keep getting better as the neural net is refined, but I'm pretty much guessing where the back wall of my garage is currently. Go to stop and then keep going a bit more. That's going to get me in trouble at some point.

Just bought my M3RWD last week and have been reading through this thread to catch up. Love the car, but the vision based front parking assist in my garage is very poor, with the car telling me to stop with a good two feet of space still remaining to the wall. I'm wondering if anyone has found any tricks for changing the environment to make this better? I do have some clutter on the wall (folding table, pots, golf clubs, ect.) that could be removed. It's also somewhat dark in there, so I wonder if improving the lighting helps. Does pausing before pulling all the way in help? It does sometimes change the wall to the left into a semi truck, which is mostly just funny. I do have hope that it will keep getting better as the neural net is refined, but I'm pretty much guessing where the back wall of my garage is currently. Go to stop and then keep going a bit more. That's going to get me in trouble at some point.
I had a theory about horizon lines, basically have a line that separates your wall and the floor (some black tape might work, or white if your walls/floor is dark). You can also try vertical lines (two of them). It may help the NN judge distance by how the lines change or move relative to the camera.

Pulling in slower might also help. The camera only captures at a given frame rate and slowing down would help it get more frames, so it may be able to make more accurate judgements, especially if it relies on memory as objects disappear into its blind spot in the front.