Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X front and back USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took ownership of my Model X 6-seater in late December, 2022. A number of issues required me to send it in for service, which they were able to fix.

However, one of the issues I identified was the front and back USB-C ports were not outputting enough power to charge my phone (OnePlus 8T) while idle.
The middle ports (below the rear screen) output enough power for triggering high-speed charging, hovering around 1900mA as measured by the Ampere app.
The front (center console with the 12V plug) and rear (below/between the back seats) ports output around 140-160mA.

Their initial diagnosis was that the power going to the panels was within specs, but it was not outputting it to the ports; possible short. They sent out a mobile service with an updated panel, but this had no effect.
During my second service appointment, they stated:
Diagnosed Front row, middle and rear USB-C ports, found output within spec, further research regarding USB-C ports found that both USB-C ports support power and data transfer only. The middle USB ports are only charging and rear only for power support. If using Iphone at time while using USB if using internal wifi or data will produce slower charging and at time needs phone to remain unlocked to enable charge. For faster charging recommend 12V adapter on cigarette lighter in center console. Compared charging with customer cables on another Model X palladium and produces same output and charge. No issues found at this time.
With just my phone plugged in to the front port, multiple cables tried, including the one provided from OnePlus for the lightning charge, I am prompted to select charge only or data. No matter which option I select, charging never goes above 200mA and cannot keep my phone charged while driving.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this actually something that Tesla designed into their USB ports or is their service just not able to find and fix the issue?
I can't imagine a $126k electric car with USB charging ports having the only way to charge your phone is connecting to the USB intended for the middle seats OR buy a 12V adapter.

Did you ever get a resolution on this issue? I haven't had any issues with my 2023 X before now; but yesterday for the first time tried to charge via one of the front console plugs and similar to what you describe it never actually charged, just a slower drain indicating it was flowing *some* power, but not enough. I need to buy a meter to measure the actual output but figured I'd re-vive this post...

Upvote 0