Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X/S demo vehicles massive price drop < 100k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not sure what is the reason for massive price drop somewhere between 10 to 20k.

Also HW4 is said to be right around the corner. Usually they do these “discounts” when they are trying to clear the remaining inventory they have. Prices usually decrease quickly when major updates occur so that would be my guess on to why we see these price cuts.

Reactions: jboy210
Also HW4 is said to be right around the corner. Usually they do these “discounts” when they are trying to clear the remaining inventory they have. Prices usually decrease quickly when major updates occur so that would be my guess on to why we see these price cuts.
Yep. Like other car makers end of year clearance sales.

Also the low priced ones are usually demo vehicles.

Reactions: Npate2

Not sure what is the reason for massive price drop somewhere between 10 to 20k.
There is a glut of S and X's in inventory in USA. Yesterday within 200 miles of my home, over 20 Model X's in inventory. Just the new ones. Maybe 30 used ones too. They have corresponding price drops. Price first factor. Then HW4 rumors. On top of that, people are walking away from orders because now even the X's don't have USS.

There is a glut of S and X's in inventory in USA. Yesterday within 200 miles of my home, over 20 Model X's in inventory. Just the new ones. Maybe 30 used ones too. They have corresponding price drops. Price first factor. Then HW4 rumors. On top of that, people are walking away from orders because now even the X's don't have USS.
You think people are walking away because of USS? I feel interest rates are prob a big factor.

I'd say everyone who wanted one RIGHT NOW (some of whom waited since December of 2020!) got their car, and everyone else remembers Model X used to be an $80,000 car

I'm not a buyer at $100k. I'm probably a repeat customer at $80k, might even spring for a color this time! It really is that simple, almost all the time. $80k was a good price against other premium midsize crossovers with 7 seats when I ordered, $100k isn't.

And I'd be very unsurprised to see them do another price drop or a Standard Range model again to get below $80k for the tax credit

Last edited:

i believe both factors you mentioned are largely irrelevant. hw4 is better than hw3, but the software has not taken advantage of the new hardware yet... and it will take years and my observation is that the typical tesla owner is not a long term owner so by the time hw4 is worth it the typical owner will have a new tesla with hw4 if they stick to the brand. . and even when hw4 is all caught up to the hardware hw3 will be still "good enough" for most cases. come to think of it few folks buy their teslas for the full autopilot which in its current state is a liability. i have tried it on my mxp and it is not ready for prime time- by a long shot. the uss is also not on the radar for most folks- actually i do not believe that 99% of tesla owners even know what uss is and how it augments (or not) the framework. because of the above i do not believe hw4 and uss are a major factor.

interest rates are a factor. yes. the pressure is real on the whole industry.

however, what i believe is the biggest factor is that tesla finally is starting to have worthy competition from the other brands... in that sense tesla is sorely lacking in the quality department and thus beating it is fairly easy once competition has similar offerings (which is happening now). the _only_ true advantage tesla has is the supercharging network. if it wasnt for it the brand currently would simply be not competitive at its current pricing... or even at 20% less as their quality is so bad it is in its own category. i for one am a firm believer that if tesla opens the superchargers to other brands this will hurt tesla tremendously. add the well known fact that tesla has the the highest profit margin per vehicle (again- by a long shot) and the feel that teslas are not good deals is now very real. there will be more lowering of prices until they dovetail with their pathetic quality.

lastly i believe dark times are ahead of tesla in china (biggest market). building a factory there was a mistake as all technology will be stolen, copied and redeployed for pennies on the dollar manufacturing the local chinese brands.

Last edited:
Yep. I'm willing to accept a Model X for $90k when an EQS SUV is $105k (and a Grand Wagoneer is too). I'll deal with tesla's version of American Exceptionalism if it means I'm getting good value vs the competition. I'm not going to pay extra for worse quality just so I can road trip a little (ok, sometimes a LOT) easier

As for China co-manufacturing, I think everybody's learning that lesson, and it's not just about the tech, but also about the people. The Chinese have built an enormous base of knowledge in their manufacturing workforce. Every OEM has paid dearly to build that bank of knowledge, and they're all feeling the pinch - but even in China a rising tide lifts all boats and they're also seeing upward pressure on wages, so pennies on the dollar may be a little too pessimistic. I think the bigger risk is a full on trade war up to and including nationalisation of the factory

Last edited:
You think people are walking away because of USS? I feel interest rates are prob a big factor.
I know it is some USS, and interest rates too.
Most buyers don't really understand the USS issue until they receive the car, then its too late.

I know of quite of few folks that walked away from delivery due to USS. 2 personally plus myself and I have seen over a dozen posts in social media people walking away. What we see published, is not the absolute number, just the indications of the larger universe. Some are getting advice when the notice appears. One X buyer just the other day was one of the first USS deficiencies and he let it go.

I know it is some USS, and interest rates too.
Most buyers don't really understand the USS issue until they receive the car, then its too late.

I know of quite of few folks that walked away from delivery due to USS. 2 personally plus myself and I have seen over a dozen posts in social media people walking away. What we see published, is not the absolute number, just the indications of the larger universe. Some are getting advice when the notice appears. One X buyer just the other day was one of the first USS deficiencies and he let it go.
Just out of curiosity, why walk away over USS? Are they that big of a deal? I find them helpful, but not always 100% accurate.

Do you lose your deposit, or just delaying delivery?

lastly i believe dark times are ahead of tesla in china (biggest market). building a factory there was a mistake as all technology will be stolen, copied and redeployed for pennies on the dollar manufacturing the local chinese brands.

I think it could be worse. If China goes for Taiwan, and the west/US stands against them there is every chance the communist party might "nationalize" the factory.

If anyone has paid any attention at all they'd know China has pressured Tesla into close to 100% local procurement, and even gotten them to keep all data in China (and there's much more). In that Tesla China management is now used to set up other factories and train their workers, it's a good bet the people there are fully capable of keeping things going without Tesla corporate input.

And - well, maybe another thread should be started for that discussion!

Reactions: Richbot
Just out of curiosity, why walk away over USS? Are they that big of a deal? I find them helpful, but not always 100% accurate.

Do you lose your deposit, or just delaying delivery?
I park in a garage with very little room in front of the car when I park. Have about 6" room with current car, Y is 3" longer so I don't want to hit the wall. Backing in not an option.

Also four functions of the car are limited or non-functional without USS. Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon, and Park Assist.
Coming up on 6 months since USS removal. So much for "soon" with Tesla Vision.

I'd say everyone who wanted one RIGHT NOW (some of whom waited since December of 2020!) got their car, and everyone else remembers Model X used to be an $80,000 car

I'm not a buyer at $100k. I'm probably a repeat customer at $80k, might even spring for a color this time! It really is that simple, almost all the time. $80k was a good price against other premium midsize crossovers with 7 seats when I ordered, $100k isn't.

And I'd be very unsurprised to see them do another price drop or a Standard Range model again to get below $80k for the tax credit
Laughed out loud when I came across this post. Can you go ahead and give me the next set of lottery numbers?

Reactions: Richbot