Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X versus early 2022 Model X build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am considering trading in my early 2022 MXLR (took delivery 12/2021) for a 2023 MXLR (HW4 confirmed). I am only considering this because I have had endless issues with build quality (yoke leather peel, broken power seat switch, multiple weather seal failures, full dash replacement after end cap was discovered to be glued into place during manufacturing and the list goes on).

My question to the wise members of this forum: Is a 3/8/23 build date MXLR a better quality build versus a 2021 build date MXLR?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am considering trading in my early 2022 MXLR (took delivery 12/2021) for a 2023 MXLR (HW4 confirmed). I am only considering this because I have had endless issues with build quality (yoke leather peel, broken power seat switch, multiple weather seal failures, full dash replacement after end cap was discovered to be glued into place during manufacturing and the list goes on).

My question to the wise members of this forum: Is a 3/8/23 build date MXLR a better quality build versus a 2021 build date MXLR?
I have a MXP with a build date of 7/22. Have had an issue with air suspension not functioning since I took delivery 8/22. It has been into SC 4 times for total of 15 days and still not fixed. Tesla Service is expected to remedy the poor workmanship that of their manufacturing.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Just sharing my experience (I'm not familiar with previous years' models), I just bought a 2023 MXLR and took delivery just this past Saturday. It was built on 02/01/2023 and it has issues with the left falcon wing door sensors (not opening all the way sensing phantom obstacles and even while driving, it's still sensing something (red on screen). The dealer initially thought they fixed it before I accepted delivery and it was working on Saturday, but just two days after that, the left wing door is having issues again, so we took it to Tesla Service yesterday to diagnose the problem and hopefully to get it fixed once and for all.

Just sharing my experience (I'm not familiar with previous years' models), I just bought a 2023 MXLR and took delivery just this past Saturday. It was built on 02/01/2023 and it has issues with the left falcon wing door sensors (not opening all the way sensing phantom obstacles and even while driving, it's still sensing something (red on screen). The dealer initially thought they fixed it before I accepted delivery and it was working on Saturday, but just two days after that, the left wing door is having issues again, so we took it to Tesla Service yesterday to diagnose the problem and hopefully to get it fixed once and for all.
Which SC did you go to? It would be a nice win if you had the issue fixed in one service visit.

I'm also curious if there's any improvements being that it's been nearly 2 years in production. I had a early 2022 Model S and it was plagued with problems, which led me to ordering a model X now. Kinda counterintuitive since the X has more points of failure vs a S, but I have one more hope left for Tesla.
I hope you'll enjoy your MX! I only had it for a few days before I turned it in to Service to fix the left FWD, but other than that, I feel like it is a pretty solid car. I miss it already! I felt so bad ass driving it lol.
I am scheduled to take delivery at 4PM on Saturday 3/25 at the Long Beach, CA SC. We shall see if I drive away with the new vehicle...
Nice! Please do share if you do pick it up!

I hope you'll enjoy your MX! I only had it for a few days before I turned it in to Service to fix the left FWD, but other than that, I feel like it is a pretty solid car. I miss it already! I felt so bad ass driving it lol.

Nice! Please do share if you do pick it up!
Whelp I had a turn of events. Seeing as I am planning to trade in my 2022 MXLR/White ext/Black int/22/6 seater/FSD I was awaiting the trade in offer. Trade in estimate was ~105K. The trade in offer came in at ~66K. So that's a deal breaker there! Not sure why there was such a discrepancy for Tesla on their estimate versus offer. But as of now everything is on hold as I cannot justify trading in a 15 month old MX with 20K miles for that offer. We shall see if there is any wiggle room but as of now looks like I will have to live with my current vehicle...

That being said the demo vehicle on reserve in Long Beach may soon become available for anyone interested in Cali!

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Whelp I had a turn of events. Seeing as I am planning to trade in my 2022 MXLR/White ext/Black int/22/6 seater/FSD I was awaiting the trade in offer. Trade in estimate was ~105K. The trade in offer came in at ~66K. So that's a deal breaker there! Not sure why there was such a discrepancy for Tesla on their estimate versus offer. But as of now everything is on hold as I cannot justify trading in a 15 month old MX with 20K miles for that offer. We shall see if there is any wiggle room but as of now looks like I will have to live with my current vehicle...

That being said the demo vehicle on reserve in Long Beach may soon become available for anyone interested in Cali!
Sorry to hear that. The new price of the X ($99K base) and other models has dropped in the last month or so and I suspect that is depressing the used car values.

Are they willing to slash the price of the inventory car further?

I'm sorry to hear that! ❤️ I hope everything will work out at the end but no worries if you don't end up with the 2023 model because your current one is still new and who knows if the 2023 will have more problems.

There has been a lot in the forum about this problem. In my case, the sensor mount on the starboard falcon wing door was not firmly attached when the car was manufactured and so it was not getting reliable signals. What seems to be the case is that some of the tripods that hold the sensors in each falcon wing door were insecurely mounted at the factory. I think there have also been some faulty sensors too. Apparently, the repair process is very exacting, and some of the service centers seem to be a little bit behind the curve in doing it the right way. The good news is that ,once mine was repaired properly, I have had zero problems! Good luck!

There has been a lot in the forum about this problem. In my case, the sensor mount on the starboard falcon wing door was not firmly attached when the car was manufactured and so it was not getting reliable signals. What seems to be the case is that some of the tripods that hold the sensors in each falcon wing door were insecurely mounted at the factory. I think there have also been some faulty sensors too. Apparently, the repair process is very exacting, and some of the service centers seem to be a little bit behind the curve in doing it the right way. The good news is that ,once mine was repaired properly, I have had zero problems! Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: maytaurustiger
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I feel better knowing that they were able to fix it for you and not having any additional issues with it (I've read stories where they had to keep bringing it in to Service for the same FWD issue). Gives me hope haha.

That's because they lowered the price on the new ones by $30K recently.

Reactions: jboy210