Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells them online - currently for $175 a pop which is annoying because I got 2 included with my MX just 6 months ago. I recommend buying one of the aftermarket rubber cases for them which makes it harder for the buttons to accidentally press in your pocket. Some of the aftermarket online sites also have fobs, programmable rings, all kinds of alt-key options.

Super easy to program from the car settings menu. Hit locks, add a key, tap your card to authenticate, and then add the new fob.

Have fun!

Turns out you get pretty used to the phone key. As a result I also downsized my key ring, and still manage to forget it pretty often!

I only ever take the fob when I know I‘m going to valet park the car. But even then every valet knows how to manage the card. Unless you have some really good reason for needing a fob, you can do just fine without.

Reactions: cusetownusa
i have a 2018 S as well and it’s a matter of getting used having a key fob. I’m ok just using my phone or carrying a card. I just wanted to see if a Key fob was available for such things as valet.
The answer is YES. They are available from the web site store (although they are frequently out of stock). Your local Tesla store or delivery center should also carry them. They are very easily user programmable from the console in the car.

Totally different tech than the 2018 you are used to. You can not buy one on the web site for legacy vehicles. Instead it takes a service ticket.

Thank you!
No problem. The new models shifted from the fob being the primary key, to your smartphone being primary. The key card and fobs are all secondary backups to your smartphone. The system is identical to that used on the Model 3 and Y, in fact you can use keys for the 3 or Y, on your new X. The only thing you don’t have are buttons for the falcon wing doors.

We just picked up our 2023 Model X all wheel drive 5 seater. Apparently the 2023 Model X does not come with a key fob. It’s only a key card or your app. Can a key fob be purchased & programed on the 2023 model X? If so where would I purchase one?

Alex

Can you post a picture of your rear screen? The Model S got a larger rear screen for 2023.

4A3A1145-FF44-46DF-9D44-9F289434FE1C.jpeg

2023 Tesla X Rear Display

Reactions: VikH
We just picked up our 2023 Model X all wheel drive 5 seater. Apparently the 2023 Model X does not come with a key fob. It’s only a key card or your app. Can a key fob be purchased & programed on the 2023 model X? If so where would I purchase one?

Alex
When I picked up my 2023 X, I expressed dismay that no fob was included ... and my old fob(2017 X) could not be reprogrammed for the new car. Delivery Center ordered me a fob ... and waived the cost when delivered. Actually, I find Siri on my phone is handier to open the frunk when approaching with a load of groceries.

Jack

Others have answered the question, but as an owner of a 2019 X and a 3, I have to mention that I haaaaaaattteeee having to go grab my fob every time I take the X. The phone key functionality has gotten so reliable that I really wish our X had it. Just not quite enough to get a new one.

I hate the new X key / Bluetooth. The older X opens up when you reaching it. The new X often don't. Or way to late. Just like model 3. Bought a fob to our m3. But didn't help. Often needed to push or hold up the fob.
Our 2019 X never have a problem. It always opens the front door perfect. With the fob in pocket

I hate the new X key / Bluetooth. The older X opens up when you reaching it. The new X often don't. Or way to late. Just like model 3. Bought a fob to our m3. But didn't help. Often needed to push or hold up the fob.
Our 2019 X never have a problem. It always opens the front door perfect. With the fob in pocket

On your phone, make sure you have Location Services set to ALWAYS ON for the Tesla App. That feature is set per app, and usually defaults to WHEN USING, which will fail when approaching the vehicle. Part of the authentication process with a Smartphone, checks the location of the phone and compares it to the location of the car. The phone must be close to the car to pass the test. The fob does not have GPS on board, so it only needs to be close to vehicle. But the fob must be pre-paired to the vehicle to work, and only one vehicle per fob.

A fob for a Model 3 can be paired with a Model X (I've done it), however a Model 3 fob does not have buttons for the FWD. But it will otherwise work fine, although it can only be paired with one vehicle at a time, unlike the Smartphone key which can be set up for multiple vehicles if they are all on the same Tesla account.

Last edited: