Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Delivery with damage to underside. Advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

New to the forum and to the Tesla family.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.

I just picked up my Model Y Performance on Friday the 10th. I was nervous because of everything I've heard about quality and body panels all that, but when I got there, the car looked to be in really good shape. Body panels looked nice, and there weren't any notable problems. I do have one small issue with a speaker that crackles when talking on the phone, but aside from that I couldn't find anything.. until yesterday (16th). This is where I need your guys help.

When I went to pick up the car, they told me I had 3 days to report anything wrong with the car. I never thought to look at the underside of the car. Yesterday I went for a drive, and when I parked the car, I noticed a pool of water under the car. I thought it was strange, so I looked under and saw the water, I figured its just from the AC. While I was under there, I noticed a large scratch on the rocker panel, and when I looked closer, I saw the metal was damaged as well. It's damaged in 4 areas, behind the front wheels on both sides of the car, and in front of the rear wheels on both sides. The damage is the same everywhere. I will try attaching a few videos so you guys can see.

I messaged a Tesla service advisor, and I made an appointment. They said they would have to inspect it in person because it's been 5 days since my pick up, so I'm a little worried about that. Also, I got the car tinted and PPF installed. I highly doubt the damage came from the installers, since they never put the car on a lift and the car was parked inside the entire time, so I'm pretty sure it happened during shipping.

Have you guys seen anything like this? What has Tesla done to fix this issue?

Thanks in advanced! :cool:

Looks like someone ran over something. Not enough to tell me exactly what or who was responsible.

Looks superficial though ...so shouldn't affect the battery.

Too late now I know but for anyone else reading....use one of the many delivery checklists available online when taking delivery. Always....always inspect the undercarriage! That's where the most expensive component in the car lives! If you have physical limitations that prevent you from getting down there either get someone to come with you or purchase a mechanic mirror.

Hey guys,

New to the forum and to the Tesla family.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.

I just picked up my Model Y Performance on Friday the 10th. I was nervous because of everything I've heard about quality and body panels all that, but when I got there, the car looked to be in really good shape. Body panels looked nice, and there weren't any notable problems. I do have one small issue with a speaker that crackles when talking on the phone, but aside from that I couldn't find anything.. until yesterday (16th). This is where I need your guys help.

When I went to pick up the car, they told me I had 3 days to report anything wrong with the car. I never thought to look at the underside of the car. Yesterday I went for a drive, and when I parked the car, I noticed a pool of water under the car. I thought it was strange, so I looked under and saw the water, I figured its just from the AC. While I was under there, I noticed a large scratch on the rocker panel, and when I looked closer, I saw the metal was damaged as well. It's damaged in 4 areas, behind the front wheels on both sides of the car, and in front of the rear wheels on both sides. The damage is the same everywhere. I will try attaching a few videos so you guys can see.

I messaged a Tesla service advisor, and I made an appointment. They said they would have to inspect it in person because it's been 5 days since my pick up, so I'm a little worried about that. Also, I got the car tinted and PPF installed. I highly doubt the damage came from the installers, since they never put the car on a lift and the car was parked inside the entire time, so I'm pretty sure it happened during shipping.

Have you guys seen anything like this? What has Tesla done to fix this issue?

Thanks in advanced! :cool:

The Technical Notes (TN) has suggested fix to underside damage - this is probably what Tesla will use in assessing your Model Y. It's too "technical" for me to guess the extent of damage on your car based on the videos.

Since yours is a Performance Model Y - the TN for Non-structural HV Battery applies.

Attachments

• TN-18-16-001_Inspect_M3_and_MY_HV_Battery_for_Underside_Damage_R3.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 584
  • TN-22-16-001_Inspect_MYS_HV_Battery_for_Underside_Damage.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
The Technical Notes (TN) has suggested fix to underside damage - this is probably what Tesla will use in assessing your Model Y. It's too "technical" for me to guess the extent of damage on your car based on the videos.

Since yours is a Performance Model Y - the TN for Non-structural HV Battery applies.
Thank you for that 🙏

I really hope they don't try to blame me for this since I discovered this 2 days after the 3 day period.

What's the process like if they don't want to cover this and fix it?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I had scrapes like that on a Model S I accepted. I didn’t notice them until I washed the car a few days later. I didn’t notice at delivery because the car was outdoors and it was raining pretty hard. I wasn’t about to crawl on the ground to check. I opened a service case, explained the situation, included pictures, and they replaced the facia. It took a while to get the parts and all, but it turned out perfect once they were done.

I had scrapes like that on a Model S I accepted. I didn’t notice them until I washed the car a few days later. I didn’t notice at delivery because the car was outdoors and it was raining pretty hard. I wasn’t about to crawl on the ground to check. I opened a service case, explained the situation, included pictures, and they replaced the facia. It took a while to get the parts and all, but it turned out perfect once they were done.
Thank you, good to know. I hope they pull through.

Thank you for that 🙏

I really hope they don't try to blame me for this since I discovered this 2 days after the 3 day period.

What's the process like if they don't want to cover this and fix it?
You can use your insurance to cover the damages.

See the NOTE section on the TN regarding HV Battery replacement/warranty - although I don't that that will be needed based on the damage on the Side Skis shown on your videos.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Figure 13 – Side ski zones

Suggest repair to customer:

• Deburr the area with a hand deburring tool to remove the sharp edges if sharp edges are found (Figure 14).
• Re-tap the fastener hole if a fastener hole is damaged and the fastener cannot withstand full torque.
• Recommend the replacement of the fastener if a fastener attaching the HV battery to the vehicle is damaged or stripped.

• Recommend HV battery replacement if:
o The ski, or part of the ski, is detached from the HV battery
o A jack point has extensive damage where it cannot be used to safely lift the vehicle.
o The HV battery enclosure fails leak test due to impact.
o The HV battery enclosure has low isolation due to impact.

NOTE:
If at any point during the inspection the damage requires a HV battery replacement, advise the customer that
the HV battery requires replacement to meet Tesla’s standards of quality and safety. Tesla does not recommend driving the vehicle until the HV battery is replaced. Since the new HV battery replacement is not covered under the vehicle warranty, the Service Center should recommend that the customer replace the HV battery and provide the customer a price quote for the HV battery replacement. The warranty does not cover HV battery damage caused by an external impact.

NOTE: If a replacement HV battery is recommended for any out of warranty repair and the customer declines the repair, refer to Toolbox article 6101300 for the appropriate next actions.

I only now discovered damage done prior to my taking delivery on my 2021 Model S. A bad Bondo job and peeling paint on my right rear fender well, just behind the right rear tire started happening, and I had to pay $2K out of pocket to have it repaired. It likely would have gotten worse had I not gotten it taken care of. I am extremely frustrated with Tesla's deep dark unreachable customer service. There are no real people accessible, only endless voice mail prompts and customer service links on their website that go 404. I am thoroughly disappointed in Tesla. I don't know what avenue to take, other than a bad Yelp review. If anybody on this forum knows a back door way I can get through to Tesla to lodge a complaint, please answer this post!