Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI- just took delivery of a 2024 Model Y Long Range and noticed a deep bass "booming" noise that is triggered by any imperfections in the roads. It's very intense and causes ear fatigue. Very smooth highways (i.e. "The Interstate") are tolerable but just driving around town is bad. I started searching forms for these symptoms and found this.

Side note: my coworker took delivery of the same 2024 Model Y Long Range just 5 weeks after mine (just this past weekend) and his does not sound like that at all! He also has Pirelli Spider tires and mine shipped with Continentals.

I already had mine up to the Toledo service center last week and after driving 2 hours to get there, I wasn't able to really demonstrate the problem. I'm a little suspicious that the tires warmed up or got softener and it dampened the effect... combined with the fact that our cars shipped with totally different tires.

FYI- just took delivery of a 2024 Model Y Long Range and noticed a deep bass "booming" noise that is triggered by any imperfections in the roads. It's very intense and causes ear fatigue. Very smooth highways (i.e. "The Interstate") are tolerable but just driving around town is bad. I started searching forms for these symptoms and found this.

Side note: my coworker took delivery of the same 2024 Model Y Long Range just 5 weeks after mine (just this past weekend) and his does not sound like that at all! He also has Pirelli Spider tires and mine shipped with Continentals.

I already had mine up to the Toledo service center last week and after driving 2 hours to get there, I wasn't able to really demonstrate the problem. I'm a little suspicious that the tires warmed up or got softener and it dampened the effect... combined with the fact that our cars shipped with totally different tires.
Sorry to hear. Was hoping this would eventually get fixed with the newer cars.

There seem to be two separate but related issues. You can check out my post here (which was written in the context of whether an aftermarket suspension upgrade would fix the issues), but it's good idea to read the rest of that thread, as people have documented their solutions and experiences quite extensively.

Given your car and your coworker's car differ significantly in symptoms, and given that you're experiencing ear fatigue, I'm inclined to think you have a loose fitting hatch, for which there are several DIY solutions. The simplest of which is to ensure the rubber bump stops on the lift gate are making proper contact with the body.

switch wheels/tires between your car and your friend's for a couple days.
see if the problem transfers to your friend's car and your problem disappears.

Sorry to hear. Was hoping this would eventually get fixed with the newer cars.

There seem to be two separate but related issues. You can check out my post here (which was written in the context of whether an aftermarket suspension upgrade would fix the issues), but it's good idea to read the rest of that thread, as people have documented their solutions and experiences quite extensively.

Given your car and your coworker's car differ significantly in symptoms, and given that you're experiencing ear fatigue, I'm inclined to think you have a loose fitting hatch, for which there are several DIY solutions. The simplest of which is to ensure the rubber bump stops on the lift gate are making proper contact with the body.
So the loose fitting hatch is what the Tesla service tech wanted to address at my visit. They took the car in after our test ride and adjusted all the bump stops. I didn't get a chance to talk with them after they worked on it, but it didn't fix the issue. This also doesn't explain why I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on our drive after I got to Toledo. We drove for about 10 minutes and I really wasn't hearing the booming sound. Maybe it was very faint (in my imagination) but nothing that rose to the level I was hearing.

switch wheels/tires between your car and your friend's for a couple days.
see if the problem transfers to your friend's car and your problem disappears.
I agree that would easily rule out if it's a tire issue! I don't know if I want to put the pressure on my coworker who just got his new car...

I feel like this should be worked out with Tesla because it's a 5 week old car that exhibits a terrible sound since day one. I have another service visit scheduled but right now the app only lets me select the 2-hr away service center which I'm not going to do again. I put in the chat that I want the mobile tech to come out and listen to the car around my house with cold tires. We'll see if they're open that suggestion or not.

So the loose fitting hatch is what the Tesla service tech wanted to address at my visit. They took the car in after our test ride and adjusted all the bump stops. I didn't get a chance to talk with them after they worked on it, but it didn't fix the issue.
As I've said in previous posts, I've driven with the hatch wide open and still heard the booming. The theory that it might be noisy tires is interesting.

I agree that would easily rule out if it's a tire issue! I don't know if I want to put the pressure on my coworker who just got his new car...

I feel like this should be worked out with Tesla because it's a 5 week old car that exhibits a terrible sound since day one. I have another service visit scheduled but right now the app only lets me select the 2-hr away service center which I'm not going to do again. I put in the chat that I want the mobile tech to come out and listen to the car around my house with cold tires. We'll see if they're open that suggestion or not.
it's an imposition but it is a solution, if dependent on your relationship with the coworker. and the necessary jack and wrench....
it's unlikely to be available from a Mobile Service guy

Reactions: agent2x0r