Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long-term hybrid driver and I've been itching to make the leap to an all-electric. Based on many glowing reviews from friends who own Teslas, as well as a brief drive of a family member's Model Y, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Model Y Long Range after the price drop earlier this year. I ended up holding off, though, to give my wife a chance to try it out with a demo drive before buying, and I ended up being glad we waited and did the demo.

After my two LR demo drives, I was surprised by several things, both good and bad, but ultimately decided now is the not the time to buy a Y. Here's my thoughts:

tl;dr I liked almost everything, but the low-frequency rumbling resonance sounds drove me crazy. Until this is fixed, there's zero chance I'm buying a Y.

Performance
Even after previously driving a Y, I was still surprised at just how much torque is available IMMEDIATELY at any speed. My foot is still calibrated to an underpowered hybrid, so this is something I haven't had in a daily driver in a long time. That feeling of instantly pinning yourself to the back of your seat is just flat out fun. and the Y is just a joy to drive in this regard. The quick responsiveness is something you can't get even in most high-end performance ICE vehicles, much less a "family car" like the Y.

Interior Finish
I was unsure how I'd feel about the interior finishes, especially after reading a few reviews from more traditional auto review sources. It's definitely minimalistic, but it's not without any styling though. There's enough detail to make it feel like some attention was paid to aesthetics, so you're not just riding in bland a box, but it's not trying to feel like driving in a high-end luxury car. For me, that's a good thing. Door panels felt solidly attached and didn't flex, there weren't any creaks or big gaps, and the quality of the surfaces felt like I expected: comparable to a middle-tier vehicle. It's not "cheap" feeling like I've seen may describe, but it's definitely not high-end either. Overall, I ended up really liking the Y's interior.

UX
This was my biggest concern going into the demo drive. I like mechanical buttons and generally don't like interacting with a touch screen in cars. To my pleasant surprise, however, it turned out my fears were completely unfounded. The things I absolutely want mechanical buttons for are still easily accessible on the steering wheel: audio volume, skipping songs / tuning the radio, and cruise control. Navigating the menus to get to the steering wheel and mirror adjustments was a little bit tricky, but no more so than with any other car I'm unfamiliar with. Temperature control, even being on the touch screen, is far easier to find and use than on most traditional cars -- I think part of the ease is due to the enormous size of the touch screen. Almost everything else, even if it's buried in a menu on the screen, is also available via voice control, making it extremely easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road. The "ding" sound when a traffic light turns green -- this feature alone almost had me ready to throw money at Tesla. The Y's UX, despite being different from what I'm used to, was a breeze to use and honestly quite refreshing.

Infotainment
All I'll say, is Tesla absolutely blows away every other manufacturer's infotainment. The screen is huge and responsive, there are tons of apps, the maps and nav are great. The only thing missing is Android Auto and CarPlay, but Tesla's software is actually good enough I don't think I'd miss it.

Ride Quality
This is where things took a turn for the worse, but not in the ways that I expected. I knew I wouldn't feel like I was riding on a cloud, and some amount of road noise wasn't going to surprise me. I drove on some moderately rough patches of road and it was just "fine." The suspension is certainly stiffer than you'll get on most other cars on the road, and you'll feel more bumps and potholes. It feels more like a sports car suspension, but the car really handles more like a sports car, so it's not all that surprising and it really didn't turn me off at all. There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads. This issue was actually the main reason for my second demo drive. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but the second demo car turned out to be EVEN WORSE than the first.

Disappointing Summary
Overall, I ended up just being really disappointed in the whole thing. I went from not just ready to buy a Y, but excited to buy a Y based on a previous drive, all the way to realizing there's no way I can justify buying a car that sounds like this. And my change of heart came not from any of the typical complaints about Teslas or EVs, but from a basic inability to meet a "can I even tolerate being in this car for more than 20 minutes with my eyes closed" requirement. There's so much to love about the Y, but there's no amount of cool features that can override fundamental riding discomfort. The fact that two demo Ys had this issue should highlight just how prevalent this issue is, and I really can't believe they're selling as many Ys as they are with demos like this.

If I don't end up buying something else soon (I'll be going to check out an EV6 later this week), then I may have another look at the Y in a year or so and see if things have improved at all.

My overall opinion: :sad_face:

Tesla_Model_Y_rear_passenger_view.jpg

"File:Tesla Model Y rear passenger view.jpg" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Not everyone experiences the boominess you describe. There are several looooooong threads here with solutions that people have tried to reduce, if not eliminate, the sensations. One in particular is called 'Ear Pain....'. Search for that one. Also, the hatch may not have been adjusted properly - that has shown to be a source of some of the sound. That's easily rectified and may help. Some newer cars (mostly from Austin, I believe) have a package shelf which may also reduce some of the sound. I don't have that issue, thankfully, and based on anecdotal data, most people do not. As far as the ride, it seems like people coming from German cars (VW and Audi for me) seem to have less issue with the firmness of the ride than those coming from other makes. I love the ride/handling balance of the car. I have the 19" Gemini wheels; if the demo you drove had the 20" Induction wheels (they are black) the little bit of a smaller sidewall may make a difference.

Not everyone experiences the boominess you describe. There are several looooooong threads here with solutions that people have tried to reduce, if not eliminate, the sensations. One in particular is called 'Ear Pain....'. Search for that one. Also, the hatch may not have been adjusted properly - that has shown to be a source of some of the sound. That's easily rectified and may help. Some newer cars (mostly from Austin, I believe) have a package shelf which may also reduce some of the sound. I don't have that issue, thankfully, and based on anecdotal data, most people do not. As far as the ride, it seems like people coming from German cars (VW and Audi for me) seem to have less issue with the firmness of the ride than those coming from other makes. I love the ride/handling balance of the car. I have the 19" Gemini wheels; if the demo you drove had the 20" Induction wheels (they are black) the little bit of a smaller sidewall may make a difference.
I appreciate the response, if I had already purchased a Y I would absolutely be trying every trick in the book to try and reduce the noise. I did read all the threads on this issue prior to my second demo drive, though, so I'm familiar with the DIY fixes and their mixed result.

But I can't reasonably justify spending 55k+ on a new car with a plan of "maybe fixing it" with a DIY hack after I get it.

I appreciate the response, if I had already purchased a Y I would absolutely be trying every trick in the book to try and reduce the noise. I did read all the threads on this issue prior to my second demo drive, though, so I'm familiar with the DIY fixes and their mixed result.

But I can't reasonably justify spending 55k+ on a new car with a plan of "maybe fixing it" with a DIY hack after I get it.
That's certainly your perogative, but by posting your experience here, I assumed you were interested in a solution. Otherwise, why bother to post?

My demo ride did not display any boominess of any kind. I hope my build doesn't have it, but me being a tinkerer, I'll try whatever I can to get rid of it if it happens or use my warranty first to remedy it.

I am surprised the OP drove two Ys and had the same experience. I was quite amazed by the ride in the one we drove.

We test drove a MYLR and the MYP recently. Nor I or anyone else heard any kind of odd noise whatsoever and I was seriously listening for anything odd after reading some of the issues on this forum. If I was the OP, I would have addressed this with the person at Tesla if he hadn’t already done so. My biggest complaint was the lack of a front bumper camera and mirror cameras to make parking in tight locations less tricky, oh and rear cross traffic radar. If I was able to get the rebate, I’d probably just buy it as the price would be to good to pass up. So, if the OP does qualify for rebate, I would try and drive in another MY or ask them to adjust the trunk and see if that helps.

Yep this is why Im doing a second test drive this weekend. I did noticed the "boominess" and a subtle pressure change. We did get over quickly but I want to ensure I test again. I've been driving a 2020 M3LR for 3 years and had zero issues it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. Right now Im leaning towards buying MYLR, but this second test drive will be the decision point for me.

This thread has extensively covered this topic including fixes/improvements to this issue. Definitely read it if you start considering getting the Model Y. Ear pain/Pressure help

There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads.

This sound more a tire noise, but in general more noticeable above 60 mph, or also depending of the road pavement type.

Why not trying the Model S? The air suspension is very great. When the cost went to $69.420 I was really considering getting one.

I'm a long-term hybrid driver and I've been itching to make the leap to an all-electric. Based on many glowing reviews from friends who own Teslas, as well as a brief drive of a family member's Model Y, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Model Y Long Range after the price drop earlier this year. I ended up holding off, though, to give my wife a chance to try it out with a demo drive before buying, and I ended up being glad we waited and did the demo.

After my two LR demo drives, I was surprised by several things, both good and bad, but ultimately decided now is the not the time to buy a Y. Here's my thoughts:

tl;dr I liked almost everything, but the low-frequency rumbling resonance sounds drove me crazy. Until this is fixed, there's zero chance I'm buying a Y.

Performance
Even after previously driving a Y, I was still surprised at just how much torque is available IMMEDIATELY at any speed. My foot is still calibrated to an underpowered hybrid, so this is something I haven't had in a daily driver in a long time. That feeling of instantly pinning yourself to the back of your seat is just flat out fun. and the Y is just a joy to drive in this regard. The quick responsiveness is something you can't get even in most high-end performance ICE vehicles, much less a "family car" like the Y.

Interior Finish
I was unsure how I'd feel about the interior finishes, especially after reading a few reviews from more traditional auto review sources. It's definitely minimalistic, but it's not without any styling though. There's enough detail to make it feel like some attention was paid to aesthetics, so you're not just riding in bland a box, but it's not trying to feel like driving in a high-end luxury car. For me, that's a good thing. Door panels felt solidly attached and didn't flex, there weren't any creaks or big gaps, and the quality of the surfaces felt like I expected: comparable to a middle-tier vehicle. It's not "cheap" feeling like I've seen may describe, but it's definitely not high-end either. Overall, I ended up really liking the Y's interior.

UX
This was my biggest concern going into the demo drive. I like mechanical buttons and generally don't like interacting with a touch screen in cars. To my pleasant surprise, however, it turned out my fears were completely unfounded. The things I absolutely want mechanical buttons for are still easily accessible on the steering wheel: audio volume, skipping songs / tuning the radio, and cruise control. Navigating the menus to get to the steering wheel and mirror adjustments was a little bit tricky, but no more so than with any other car I'm unfamiliar with. Temperature control, even being on the touch screen, is far easier to find and use than on most traditional cars -- I think part of the ease is due to the enormous size of the touch screen. Almost everything else, even if it's buried in a menu on the screen, is also available via voice control, making it extremely easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road. The "ding" sound when a traffic light turns green -- this feature alone almost had me ready to throw money at Tesla. The Y's UX, despite being different from what I'm used to, was a breeze to use and honestly quite refreshing.

Infotainment
All I'll say, is Tesla absolutely blows away every other manufacturer's infotainment. The screen is huge and responsive, there are tons of apps, the maps and nav are great. The only thing missing is Android Auto and CarPlay, but Tesla's software is actually good enough I don't think I'd miss it.

Ride Quality
This is where things took a turn for the worse, but not in the ways that I expected. I knew I wouldn't feel like I was riding on a cloud, and some amount of road noise wasn't going to surprise me. I drove on some moderately rough patches of road and it was just "fine." The suspension is certainly stiffer than you'll get on most other cars on the road, and you'll feel more bumps and potholes. It feels more like a sports car suspension, but the car really handles more like a sports car, so it's not all that surprising and it really didn't turn me off at all. There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads. This issue was actually the main reason for my second demo drive. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but the second demo car turned out to be EVEN WORSE than the first.

Disappointing Summary
Overall, I ended up just being really disappointed in the whole thing. I went from not just ready to buy a Y, but excited to buy a Y based on a previous drive, all the way to realizing there's no way I can justify buying a car that sounds like this. And my change of heart came not from any of the typical complaints about Teslas or EVs, but from a basic inability to meet a "can I even tolerate being in this car for more than 20 minutes with my eyes closed" requirement. There's so much to love about the Y, but there's no amount of cool features that can override fundamental riding discomfort. The fact that two demo Ys had this issue should highlight just how prevalent this issue is, and I really can't believe they're selling as many Ys as they are with demos like this.

If I don't end up buying something else soon (I'll be going to check out an EV6 later this week), then I may have another look at the Y in a year or so and see if things have improved at all.

My overall opinion: :sad_face:
This glowing review is better than my paper that I submitted in post grad school. I did that so I could get an A. What was your intention in writing such a detailed review only to give it a thumbs down?

drtz: My Dec. 2020 built 2021 had this dreaded low frequency buffeting when I took delivery. I could feel it on certain road surfaces. It was extremely annoying and put a real damper on the "new car" vibe. I posted here at TMC, joined the ongoing threads, and learned about the hatch adjustment.

The hatch adjustment is NOT a DIY hack, but rather a critical aspect of proper hatch fitment. For whatever reason, Tesla STILL ISN'T adjusting the stops prior to sale. It's a simple adjustment that takes less than 5 minutes. Done. 42k miles later, the low-frequency buffeting has never returned.

Yep this is why Im doing a second test drive this weekend. I did noticed the "boominess" and a subtle pressure change. We did get over quickly but I want to ensure I test again. I've been driving a 2020 M3LR for 3 years and had zero issues it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. Right now Im leaning towards buying MYLR, but this second test drive will be the decision point for me.

This thread has extensively covered this topic including fixes/improvements to this issue. Definitely read it if you start considering getting the Model Y. Ear pain/Pressure help
I did notice this at first and read all the threads and was super bummed. Then I realized that playing music while driving diminished this by 90% and then in a couple of days I didn't notice it even with the music off and it's been fine since. Others have not found this to be the case, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Weirdly, I did not notice the boominess test driving the Y or when I rented one for a few days.

Before I got my MY, I went to 5 different showrooms to test drive the car(From 10 minutes to 1 hour away from me) and I did it about 7 times. I went back to the closest showroom for the 6 and 7th time to drive and drove them again. I felt the ear pressure pain a few times in a few of the carts and later I test drove them again and I did not feel the pressure. Keep test driving and it is not in all the cars.

Reactions: vet757
I get it OP.

I only test-drove a friend's Model Y before buying and never listened for anything as I was too distracted. That being said, his did have this problem too before I fixed it for him (although he could not really notice the noise very well, which leads me to think most people who say it's fine can't hear that low frequency). I have driven maybe 6 Model Ys and they all have varying degrees of low resonance noise.

The Mach-E, Audi E-Tron and Volvos also suffer from this problem to varying degrees and for various reasons. Part of it has to do with the intrinsic weight of electric vehicles and perhaps some of the structural rigidity caused by the battery pack along the base of the vehicle. The Korean EVs seem to not have this issue though. I'm not aware if the ID.4 has this issue.

I get it OP.

I only test-drove a friend's Model Y before buying and never listened for anything as I was too distracted. That being said, his did have this problem too before I fixed it for him (although he could not really notice the noise very well, which leads me to think most people who say it's fine can't hear that low frequency). I have driven maybe 6 Model Ys and they all have varying degrees of low resonance noise.

The Mach-E, Audi E-Tron and Volvos also suffer from this problem to varying degrees and for various reasons. Part of it has to do with the intrinsic weight of electric vehicles and perhaps some of the structural rigidity caused by the battery pack along the base of the vehicle. The Korean EVs seem to not have this issue though. I'm not aware if the ID.4 has this issue.
Wife just got an id4 and not even a hint of boominess.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
My demo ride did not display any boominess of any kind. I hope my build doesn't have it, but me being a tinkerer, I'll try whatever I can to get rid of it if it happens or use my warranty first to remedy it.

I am surprised the OP drove two Ys and had the same experience. I was quite amazed by the ride in the one we drove.
In my experience the strength of the booming depends mostly on the road surface. "Textured pavement" is the worst. This is important because if you aren't doing your test drives by your place of residence and then, when your car arrives, you hear booming, you may think that the problem is specific to your car (the cars you test drove didn't have it) when that is actually not the case.