Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this Update on Saturday. To say it is Absolutely Useless is really giving it a compliment. Says i'm on top of another car in a parking lot when there is more than 2 feet distance between the cars. Goes nuts when turning into a parking spot. in the garage is worst, I will have so much damage to the back of the car if I closed the garage trusting this useless park assist. Haven't had time to figure out how to turn off the Audio alarms.

I set my software update to "Advanced" so that I get it earlier. At first I got the 2023.6.8 update, and then on Saturday, I got 2023.6.9. So far I really like the vision park assist. It's mostly correct and is useful as a secondary alert for things that I may have missed. I don't so much as rely an instantaneous reading of distance as seeing how it changes over time. If I move a few inches and see the reading go from 24 to 19 inches, for example, then I am more confident that I indeed have more than a foot of clearance. I went in a few parking garages over the weekend and everything seemed fine. I do appreciate it showing the curb during parallel parking as well. Again, it's not 100% accurate, but very helpful as is. I wonder why Tesla doesn't apply some type of averaging algorithm to keep the lines more stable. I find this issue with cars on the side as well. As I am passing them or being passed, the cars on the side of me would jiggle forward and backward.

Reactions: jeewee3000
Only if you bought before the price reductions. No USS, but up to $13,000 less AND a $7,500 tax credit? That seems more than fair.

I'm a big fan of Tesla's minimalist approach. I like the idea of fewer parts/components - fewer things to go wrong. I find the USS parking sensors in most cars to be frequently inaccurate, so don't rely on them anyway - seems we are ultra-critical of Tesla, and give others a pass.

In reality, we all have the privilege of being part of a technology revolution. Some day when you send your grandkids to school in a FSD car, you can tell them, "I was one of the the first ever with vision-only parking assist! It was like hand crank starting an old Model T!"

So here's mine: "Learned to drive in a huge '60s Buick, only audible alarms during parking were scraping of fenders/bumpers." You figured it out pretty quickly. So the other alternative, like Engi_Nerd, just turn off the chimes and learn to drive like a boomer!
I hear you EVRob78. I also learned to drive in cars without sensors, lining things up in mirrors and building that sense of spacial awareness that's lasted a lifetime. But thinking back to cars in the late seventies here in the UK (never as big as '60s Buicks, which we'd marvel at on US TV shows and later on holidays over there) they had huge chrome bumpers front and back. You could inch closely to another parked car knowing the worse you'd do is touch bumpers. Some manufacturers even put rubber pads on the vertical parts of the bumpers - you'd literally bounce off them! Modern cars have zero protection, probably because generations of drivers since have grown up with sensors and bleeps and now cameras so manufacturers saw no reason to add bumpers. I'm also a big fan of Tesla's minimalist approach, I just think that as a new owner of a MY the lack of USS wasn't properly explained and I fear that the vision-powered replacement won't reach parity for several months, maybe a year ... if it ever does.

Reactions: EVRob78
Coming from an Audi q7 that was accurate as hell ..Tesla vision is disappointing to say the least. In Audi it would chime when rear or front was close. This thing chimes all over in a tight garage..may have to get used to it or turn it off. I bought this prior to having the vision and these seem to do more than Tesla Vision

STKR Concepts 00135 Side Garage Parking Sensor - Easy Guide System https://a.co/d/clbm95U
Yeah, 12 year old Volvo XC60 has a much better precision and audible chimes, which actually made sense (louder from the sensor side which was the closest to the obstacle) than the marvel of the EV world:) I only hope for future updates, not much help as it is right now.

We all should join hands together and wait & see for 1 year if they can pull this off other wise we should sue them for doing this kind of business. I was a die hard fan of Tesla but I cannot accept a sub-par level experience for premium charges. I hope someone from Tesla is reading/watching this.
Which raises a good question: does Tesla actually read this site? Has it ever responded?

Yeah, 12 year old Volvo XC60 has a much better precision and audible chimes, which actually made sense (louder from the sensor side which was the closest to the obstacle) than the marvel of the EV world:) I only hope for future updates, not much help as it is right now.
i drove a denali that hadvibration in the seat feedback when you get a bumper close... needless to say i got as close as i could to every obstacle for that sensual feeling everytime i parked, lol! no doubt made me a LESS safe driver though

Personally I don’t think it will ever be as accurate as USS just like vision will never be as accurate at judging speed/distance like radar can.

You wouldn’t want your contractor to build your house using potato quality pictures and videos to “measure” length and distances (let’s be honest, the HW3 camera quality is pretty garbage)

The technology/algorithm may get “close enough” to perform its desired function which might be all people care about, but it simply can’t be as precise. Especially low objects in front of the front bumper where the camera is blind.

My MYP have USS, but I've been paying attention about the situation with the vision based substitute since I'm very curious on how it will work. So far it seems that the distance detection is definitely hit and miss, and the load time would be problematic. However, it appears that the vision system is at least giving warning beeps when close to stuff, and it looks at stuff on the sides of the car as well as curbs. I don't think my car detects curbs unless they are really tall and detects nothing on the sides of the car.

My MYP is the first and only car I've driven that shows a distance reading from the USS. While cool, I've never actually trusted it since day one and only use it as a reference. The vision system seems to have decent potential. If they can dial in the distance readings a bit more and more reliably detect curbs and sides of the car, I think I'd be OK if they disabled the USS in the future in my car and went vision only. I mean, every day when entering my garage, the USS ALWAYS tell me to STOP right at the garage door opening even though the door is open, so it's not like the USS is perfect.

By the way, I think most other cars go nuts with the beeps when entering a home garage. My recent experiences includes a 22 Audi fat etron (mom's car) and 22 Volvo C40 (wife's car), and they beep A LOT when entering a garage and I almost never pay attention to the beeps or the on-screen prompts because it's kind of hard to decipher what it's telling me. They do have 360 degree cameras so sometimes I look at that. But usually I use my own eyes and the mirrors to get the car into the garage unscathed.

I just think that as a new owner of a MY the lack of USS wasn't properly explained and I fear that the vision-powered replacement won't reach parity for several months, maybe a year ... if it ever does.
That's absolutely fair. Your needs are much different than ours.

Rented a car at Gatwick during our last visit to the UK, to drive out to visit friends in the countryside. Didn't think twice when they "upgraded" me to probably their largest SUV (VW Atlas, perhaps.) Most stressful three days of driving - and parking - I can remember. Won't make that mistake next time. But there will be a next time - lovely country.

Reactions: glovelace
I have USS and it shows curbs when I drive (yellow circles). It doesn't give a distance for those though.

The USS is very accurate down to the feet and is consistent when I park front-first in the garage.
Those pings are practically worthless. For curbs that you would actually care about, it doesn't work. USS doesn't show like for example the front parking blocks (unless the parking spot was sloped down toward it, in which case sometimes the angle helps pick it up). Also when you parallel park or pull up to a curb it doesn't show the curb on the side. If you looked at videos of the Vision based parking assist, it now actually shows lines where the curbs are.