Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It didn’t for me. My vehicle updated to 2023.12.5 the day I took delivery, but a full week later I still didn’t have the vision park assist. I factory reset, based on a post here on TMC, and park assist immediately appeared after the restart - even though the cameras had to be recalibrated from the reset.
Had the same issue with new delivery and most recent update with no Tesla vision park assist showing up. The factory reset seemed to enable Tesla vision park assist. Not sure why one would have to factory reset but it worked.

Had the same issue with new delivery and most recent update with no Tesla vision park assist showing up. The factory reset seemed to enable Tesla vision park assist. Not sure why one would have to factory reset but it worked.
Well that sucks…. I have my car about 2 weeks now, and after hours of messing around with the various settings, I think I finally got everything dialed in the way I want it. Now to get this feature to work I have to erase everything and start over?

I take delivery of a 2023 Model Y in a few days. This forum makes me think I shouldn't do it! I am also looking at a Tesla Model Y 2022 with 24k miles on it with USS as an alternative. Will they disable the USS anyway and just use vision? What a nightmare. I think I should just move on to Kia or the Ioniq 5.

Reactions: Flemingo
I take delivery of a 2023 Model Y in a few days. This forum makes me think I shouldn't do it! I am also looking at a Tesla Model Y 2022 with 24k miles on it with USS as an alternative. Will they disable the USS anyway and just use vision? What a nightmare. I think I should just move on to Kia or the Ioniq 5.
Meh.. it's not a big deal USS is not a big deal.. if you're relying on it you're probably too close to something anyway the camera is enough

The SC network is a much bigger deal

• Disagree
Reactions: mlambert890
What's nightmarish about it? Are you currently driving around running into things for lack of parking assistance? I upgraded from a 21 to a 23 because I don't care about or use the USS parking assist, and I wanted the better suspension and refreshed interior. With that said it was pretty sheety for Tesla to remove the USS just to save a buck. Finally, no they have not disabled the USS in older enabled vehicles like they did radar.

What's nightmarish about it? Are you currently driving around running into things for lack of parking assistance? I upgraded from a 21 to a 23 because I don't care about or use the USS parking assist, and I wanted the better suspension and refreshed interior. With that said it was pretty sheety for Tesla to remove the USS just to save a buck. Finally, no they have not disabled the USS in older enabled vehicles like they did radar.
My garage is a tight fit. And driving around and parking in Boston is kind of a pain in the ass.

So's mine and my USS equipped 21 MY screamed at me to stop every time I pulled into it. Backing into a garage/spot using the side and rear cameras beats the hell out of park assist; even with USS. The only issue I have parking in public is the ever present fear of curb rash which USS doesn't help prevent since it doesn't detect curb height obstructions.

My garage is a tight fit. And driving around and parking in Boston is kind of a pain in the ass.
There are after market (Amazon for e.g.) wireless licence plate cameras (either front or back) - not the most elegant but makes it much better (if that is the only issue). Just a suggest. I agree, big cities and east coast - parking here you need solid assist (it’s not just you who may need to drive, but other family members too). With all the tech - there should be much better solution to all this. Common Elon!

Looks like tesla deactivated parking sensors or is just me?
I have 2022 Model Y with USS sensors. Few weeks ago I kind of noticed a weird behavior of parking assist (the bow lines on the screen with a distance to the object), like it was not accurate... But I thought maybe it's a glitch or something and didn't pay much attention.
But today after I was trying to park in the tight spot I was able to 100% confirm that USS sensors don't work anymore. Tesla parking assist worked based of cameras only, it it's dumb!
At the very close distance to the object (other parked car), less than 15-20in, it does not work at all. And at the distances more than that, it show some numbers and graphics, but I don't need a park assist help at those distances because I have my own eyes and clearly see where I am driving. This new vision based park assist is a joke... 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Flemingo
I have 2022 Model Y with USS sensors. Few weeks ago I kind of noticed a weird behavior of parking assist (the bow lines on the screen with a distance to the object), like it was not accurate... But I thought maybe it's a glitch or something and didn't pay much attention.
But today after I was trying to park in the tight spot I was able to 100% confirm that USS sensors don't work anymore. Tesla parking assist worked based of cameras only, it it's dumb!
At the very close distance to the object (other parked car), less than 15-20in, it does not work at all. And at the distances more than that, it show some numbers and graphics, but I don't need a park assist help at those distances because I have my own eyes and clearly see where I am driving. This new vision based park assist is a joke... 🤬🤬🤬🤬
USS on my Feb 2022 MSLR still work. For me, all the beeping and squiggly lines have never been usefull.

Reactions: Kupe
For me it's also beeping and have lines... but not accurate anymore. Check it out.

Ask someone standing outside to put any object back and forth (a hand bag) near one of the sensors. You ll see a zero reaction on the screen to that.
I don't care to do any measuring. I probably subconsciously do note the beeps, but I never use USS for distance measure.

Reactions: nate704
USS was very useful when trying to squeeze in the tight parking spots when maneuvering..
now parking assist is completely useless...
The only tight spot I park in is my garage. We use hanging tennis balls and tape on the wall. As much as I can, I avoid public tight spots. There is always the six year old kid opening the door into your car. USS can't help there.

Reactions: Kupe and gt2690b
The only tight spot I park in is my garage. We use hanging tennis balls and tape on the wall. As much as I can, I avoid public tight spots. There is always the six year old kid opening the door into your car. USS can't help there.
Yeah... I preferred to use something more advanced than tennis ball.
And talking about tight parking, USS was very helpful when you pulling forward into the parking spot, making a left turn. I don't really feel well the distance for the right corner of the front bumper to the nearest car. USS helped me make sure that I ll not scratch the other car during this maneuvering. With vision-based park assist, this kind of "assist" is now useless.

Yeah... I preferred to use something more advanced than tennis ball.
And talking about tight parking, USS was very helpful when you pulling forward into the parking spot, making a left turn. I don't really feel well the distance for the right corner of the front bumper to the nearest car. USS helped me make sure that I ll not scratch the other car during this maneuvering. With vision-based park assist, this kind of "assist" is now useless.
Until then what will you do?

Tesla has officially said they have no plans to disable USS, so I would say it's just you given no other people with USS reported it being disabled, nor is it in any release notes. Unless you updated the car recently or you damaged your USS there should be no changes.

FYI even with USS, it stops reporting the distance once you reach under 12 inches.

My USS car still uses USS and Tesla has no plans to disable it, no reason to. I've noticed absolutely zero changes in it's operation since buying it in 2019. If your car is no longer using them than I would make a service request. Let us know what they say after your appointment. I find my vision based car is just a bit overly conservative on distances, but I typically rely more on the cameras anyway.