Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a loaner Model 3 with USS while our MY is in the shop. Never drop a Tesla with USS and feeling like I missed a lot without having USS. Hoping Tesla Vision will give back some of the lost features. We're used to having the 360 view on our 2016 Lexus RX350 and features from having USS is probably the closest thing to it.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and ord3r
Don't worry, you'll get over it soon. No one cares about radar anymore (Except maybe me). They did when they were the majority, but now way more cars don't have it than do (and it was disabled on many that have it as well).

The same thing will happen with USS, after a year or so, most cars will not have USS and Tesla will disable it on vehicles that have it.

I expect my not yet built but supposed to be delivered in the next few weeks Model Y will be missing USS. It's going to be built in Fremont since it has white interior.

On the plus side Tesla Vision when eventually implemented probably won't freak out by something like backing up with a bike rack on the car since the AI should be able to figure things like that out.

Reactions: Falcon73 and ord3r
Don't worry, you'll get over it soon. No one cares about radar anymore (Except maybe me). They did when they were the majority, but now way more cars don't have it than do (and it was disabled on many that have it as well).

The same thing will happen with USS, after a year or so, most cars will not have USS and Tesla will disable it on vehicles that have it.

I don't see how vision can ever exceed USS performance or even match it in all common situations.

What use is a system that you can only depend on some of the time? And certainly how can you justify replacing hardware function existing on a car with something less functional?

Now we certainly don't know that USS will be deleted from cars already fitted, but the parallel with Radar isn't reassuring.

In addition, for US based cars and where FSD Beta is at least a possibility, you can possibly argue that what's good enough for FSD Beta is good enough for all. But in markets where FSD promises look less likely to (ever) be met, removing basic features that work reasonably well is a big deal imo.

Last edited:

I don't see how vision can ever exceed USS performance or even match it in all common situations.

What use is a system that you can only depend on some of the time? And certainly how can you justify replacing hardware function existing on a car with something less functional?

Now we certainly don't know that USS will be deleted from cars already fitted, but the parallel with Radar isn't reassuring.

In addition, for US based cars and where FSD Beta is at least a possibility, you can possibly argue that what's good enough for FSD Beta is good enough for all. But in markets where FSD promises look less likely to (ever) be met, removing basic features that work reasonably well is a big deal imo.

Tesla Vision never met radars performance, they got close, but not quite there (larger following distances, slower max autosteer speed). They still disabled it.

If your car does not have USS, what happens when pulling out of a parking spot with cross traffic or pedestrians?

With USS, do you get warnings?

I have a new Model Y without USS. There are NO warnings when getting close to anything. It makes things like backing out of a parking spot, or pulling into your garage extra tricky. I think we have all become accustomed to having audio and visual "help" with those things.

My 2019 Model X has USS and it beeps when getting close to an object and shows how far you are away on the screen.

I have a new Model Y without USS. There are NO warnings when getting close to anything. It makes things like backing out of a parking spot, or pulling into your garage extra tricky. I think we have all become accustomed to having audio and visual "help" with those things.

My 2019 Model X has USS and it beeps when getting close to an object and shows how far you are away on the screen.
Thanks. I’ll know what to expect. My Audi has hit the brakes a few times when I thought I was paying attention. Hopefully the rear camera has a wide angle view. I’m sure Tesla doesn’t want it’s safety score to go down, so tick tock on the improved Vision system.

I took delivery of my MYLR in the UK last week, and no USS! What annoys me is the total lack of communication from Tesla about this. You order a £57,000 car which is 2022 should have the most basic of features, parking sensors. Don't remove the sensors before you have a fully functioning alternative. And the least the manufacturer could do is send an email to say this is what's happening and why!

Why do I have to find my car has no parking assistance from a Google search and blog posts, with nothing mentioned on Tesla's own website. Poor effort all round.

Reactions: SLS3sbtr and Ratch
If there's a reason I wouldn't get a 2nd tesla, it has nothing to do with the CEOs eccentricity, it has to do with getting an every- changing product with little communication.

Your car will change over time, mostly for the better, but they also have no problem removing things that may be important to you, too.

The kicker is, you have to accept it or risk the warranty on your expensive car. The changes are, for all intents and purposes, forced on you.

Reactions: Falcon73