Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software cannot process data that the hardware isn't even capable of gathering.
let's see what tesla does with this. We don't know what the cameras are / are not capable of seeing (beyond what we can access as a user in Sentry mode) so anything we say here is just an assumption / conjecture. Software can do some pretty wild things. A great example would be the continuity camera with the macbooks / iphone where the webcam can function to give you a direct top down view of your desk.

let's see what tesla does with this. We don't know what the cameras are / are not capable of seeing (beyond what we can access as a user in Sentry mode) so anything we say here is just an assumption / conjecture. Software can do some pretty wild things. A great example would be the continuity camera with the macbooks / iphone where the webcam can function to give you a direct top down view of your desk.
If you lie down directly in front of your car and look up, there are places you can put your head where you cannot see any cameras on the vehicle. If you can't see any cameras, the cameras can't see you.

Reactions: Falcon73
This^

Potential buyers of Tesla need to be made aware of the lack of proximity alerts. If more widely known, it is likely to dampen demand in the short term, which in turn will get Tesla to act more quickly on providing a working solution.

At this point, I don't think Tesla is providing any notice/disclaimer about the removal of USS without a working alternative (I didn't get one) - so this info needs to come through external sources.

Tesla has resolved the "issue": price cut.
Now they will sell another bunch of Teslas in the next 2 months... even without USS

I took delivery of ModelY on 23 December. No parking sensors. UK say software replacement coming in New Year. Ambiguous commitment on retrofit hardware support. My £60,000 car has been valued at £38,200 after 3 weeks ownership. Does anyone out there think that Tesla can re-enable the parking sensors with Teslavision without fitting bumper cameras as minimum and putting back the ultrasonic sensors. Lets have a TMC poll please

Reactions: phishphan
There you go. You purchased the Y after the USS were removed. Therefore the onus is on you, the buyer to research that the vehicle has the options you want/need, not expecting they do.

As fast as how to fix the problem. The only real solution is to use your mirrors and cameras. If pulling in to the garage is your biggest issue. Reverse in so you can use your rearview camera to gauge the distance you have from the rear wall of the garage.
The USS are nice, but there are easy solutions. It may require you make a change to your parking habits, but they’re not impossible changes to make.
If you purchased after October 2022, you really have nothing to complain about since it was known your Y wouldn’t have USS.
When I purchased my 2023 Model Y in December, there may have been an acknowledgement check mark in some box in small print related to the lack of parking assist, blind spot detection etc. due to the removal of USS. But it was one of many check marks. I totally focus on the details of any car that I purchase (I rejected a previous model Y LR because it did not have the matrix headlights), but I missed this one. Certainly not in big bold letters and certainly not in any text or other communications from Tesla. As far as your suggested "workarounds", unfortunately this is the history of tesla -- e.g. AP slams on the brakes going 80 mph with no obstruction - just be prepared to step on the accelerator; poor headlight design until recently (unusable on original model S), just suck it up and deal with it. Don't get me wrong-- I like Teslas. Have owned 4 of them. I just get tired of the all-knowing Tesla software "gurus" with their trial and error approaches.

Reactions: Falcon73
Yes, TACC is great.

I trust this is real as I have read extensive anecdotal posts about it. But neither I nor any of my friends have ever experienced it. And we collectively use our autopilots extensively. There must be circumstances, or maybe a particular combination of hardware quirks, that lends to this in some cars but not all cars.
I disagree. TACC is not "great". minimum following distance has been reduced to a "2". 1 is not available. So TACC is now useless to me as I don't like or feel safe with the hordes of cars that cut in front of me due to the excessive minimum following distance when using TACC. Tesla used to have the best minimum follow distance with TACC. Now it's the worst. My Subaru and BMW TACC are far superior now to Tesla and have NEVER had a phantom braking issue with those cars

308B1833-A4C5-4109-A600-605EEB1B91B6.png

Bro come with true news. Not fixed. “2017”

Wait - looking at this tweet, it’s from 2017. USS was only removed in mid-November. This may not be a time estimate for reintroduction of park assist on Tesla Vision. However, I still stick with my estimate of a long ass time.
When? It's an answer that can be used forever for any new touted tech that's not here yet. Elon was talking about FSD in 2017 when he tweeted this. It's now an inside joke.
Screenshot_20230129_164149_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: phishphan
Ironic that back in 2016 when searching for 2013 CPO Models Ses (which did not all have parking sensors as they were introduced in August of 2013) I was researching "aftermarket" parking sensor kits....and now I sit here researching the same thing for a NEW Tesla Model Y. Fun fact...I REALLY wanted the parking sensors back then and held out for an August built car!

My Model Y is on order...a "red" 5 seater (ordered before the base price went up $500 and pushed the car past the rebate limit). If it wasn't for the fact that I really want red, I would lean a lot more toward canceling the order and holding out for s HW4 car in the hopes the 2 higher res cameras and possible radar MIGHT be sued for parking assistance...not sure it's worth losing my color choice over though!

p.s. the aftermarket parking sensor setups seem pretty mediocre over all.

I took delivery of ModelY on 23 December. No parking sensors. UK say software replacement coming in New Year. Ambiguous commitment on retrofit hardware support. My £60,000 car has been valued at £38,200 after 3 weeks ownership. Does anyone out there think that Tesla can re-enable the parking sensors with Teslavision without fitting bumper cameras as minimum and putting back the ultrasonic sensors. Lets have a TMC poll please
No, not a chance IMO.

Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
Tesla stated to both myself and my friend that a comprehensive OTA updates is coming to resolve this...patiently awaiting

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm no expert in this but even if you don't have USS or camera in the front bumper to gauge distance to something low to the ground, your camera still sees it before it gets blocked by the hood. So the computer knows it's there and knows the distance you're traveling, right?
But in case something gets in front of the bumper during a maneuver ( dog, cat, baby ... ) and having this 3ft blind spot in front of the hood without any support from USS or radar will not notify you and you will not know that there is an obstacle and car should be stopped ?

The reality of chucklevision.

Cameras are absolutely useless in the dark, rain, fog, snow, leaving aside they actually can’t even see the extremities of the car.

Sadly I don’t drive in a Texas lab with no weather where the cameras might actually satisfy the spec of the engineers. In the real world, night vision is worse than the camera on my phone, and I have had few trips without the camera blinded/blocked error.

Below is the reality just 3 miles after the car/cameras were cleaned. Parking at night with cameras is impossible unless you are in a well lit area.

Are we now in a new “red flag” era when you need to get out / have someone wiping your cameras as you drive for them to be useful?

Tesla has told me that I have all the hardware required on my missing-USS car, and as we know the software is “coming soon”. I don't think you’ve got a prayer Tesla. I think you are lying just like you have done with FSD for the past 5 years.

PS: this photo was taken on a bright, clear night.

E402EEC7-98DA-4752-8CA6-10FF76EFD772.jpeg