Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Vision "USS-emulation" (that's my naming of that :p) is already live since many weeks.
It is being tested on USS vehicles to perform benchmarking (USS vs Vision) for distances and accuracy.
It is also being used as a backup system for USS Teslas: when USS doesn't work (dirty bumper, not working, etc.), Vision takes place and does the job.

Once they will reach a reasonable parity in benchmarks, they will release it for all vehicles and (my thought), disabling USS on all existing, to have a single software strategy (=reduce development and maintenance costs).
And for USS equipped Tesla owners, it will be perceived as a step back, in my opinion.

The Vision only system already works, it's a matter of tuning and it is being tested in real life with real owners on real streets and situations.

For the blind spot in front ... I'm not so worried that much ... it would be a problem only for (very) low obstacles that move in front of the vehicle that has been stopped unattended for awhile, except if the front camera will just keep watching and calculating moving targets that go into the "blind zone" and eventually moving away.
That's actually not so difficult ... Sentry already monitors 24h a day ... so what's the point in keeping just the front camera watching (if sentry is disabled)?

After having seen real video of Vision correctly measuring distances, I just can't wait for it....
Love this bit…
when USS doesn't work (dirty bumper, not working, etc.), Vision takes place and does the job.
For probably the past 20 or so years I’ve never had a USS sensor stop working on any car because of dirt etc. For 3 months since getting my vision only Tesla, I’ve rarely had a journey without a camera being blocked or blinded. The future is bright (or it would be if the cameras were better quality).

When was USS removed? I think I might have found the perfect car (based on my desire for USS). The car is a MYP with around 2,500 miles that apparently was built in 9/22 and first titled in 11/22. I believe the USS was removed in October. Is this a USS car? It's straight across the country from me.

I had a 2022 MYP for 16k miles that I exclusively supercharged. I would have a problem backing in without the info provided by the sensors. Thanks.

Last edited:
Where is my TESLA VISION parking assist? Can't believe this happened over the weekend, I haven't been in an accident for over 10 years.
Long story short, my son was crying non-stop in the back seat and I was trying to back out of an angled parking spot. I backed out very slowly and carefully but still sideswiped the parked vehicle next to me. The other vehicle is a Toyota Tundra, it was a long vehicle and sticking out of his parking spot. I know MYLR has the side cameras but I don't remember seeing the contact. The dashcam didn't save the footages so I couldn't confirm. It could very well be a camera blind spot given its an angled spot and the impact is near the rear of the vehicle. It's 2023. Why can't I get some audible warning (or reverse brake assist) from my new MYLR. I have better parking features in my 2018 Subaru than this.

Just reported it to tesla insurance, will see how it goes.

Anyone got suggestions for body shop that can fix this quick, nice and cheap? Picture on the right is after I cleaned it up. There is a noticeable dent on the quarter panel and bumper. Southern California area.

FoT8Q4XaYAAR3lf
FoUGm5FaUAEl6bx

Love this bit…

For probably the past 20 or so years I’ve never had a USS sensor stop working on any car because of dirt etc. For 3 months since getting my vision only Tesla, I’ve rarely had a journey without a camera being blocked or blinded. The future is bright (or it would be if the cameras were better quality).

I've had a Volvo V60 plug-in for 7 years, right before my Tesla Model Y RWD that I have now.
Had many cases of heavy snow and bumpers being dirty or with fresh snow on them: they didn't work or, even worst .... they kepts doing "beeeep" randomly during driving ...
They are not perfect, too.

Like with @jenimolly here, this Polish car will probably just have USS! Swapping out demo fleet every three months does not mean that car couldn't have USS - there were cars delivered in November with USS. Why do these claims always have inconclusive maybe-maybe not 'proof' that these cars have no USS but the park beepy beep is working? Just show the bumpers!

Any update, @jenimolly? I guess you learned your car has USS. That's a win! :)

Like with @jenimolly here, this Polish car will probably just have USS! Swapping out demo fleet every three months does not mean that car couldn't have USS - there were cars delivered in November with USS. Why do these claims always have inconclusive maybe-maybe not 'proof' that these cars have no USS but the park beepy beep is working? Just show the bumpers!

Any update, @jenimolly? I guess you learned your car has USS. That's a win! :)
That may be or may not be true! The article mentions that the VIN was checked and it matches a model year 2023, which "shouldn't" have USS. But any guess is as good - and of course only a video would help solving the mystery. We can just wait... I'm personally not too bothered (my other half disagrees), but of course I look forward to see what Tesla will do about it.

That may be or may not be true! The article mentions that the VIN was checked and it matches a model year 2023, which "shouldn't" have USS. But any guess is as good - and of course only a video would help solving the mystery. We can just wait... I'm personally not too bothered (my other half disagrees), but of course I look forward to see what Tesla will do about it.

Something I'm not sure about - does the year letter in the VIN strictly follow calendar year, or is it more aligned with 'model year' meaning a VIN indicating 2023 might still be built in Nov or Dec 2022? If the former, then a 2023 VIN the article mentioned almost certainly should have no USS, while if the former a model year 2023 VIN isn't strong proof of no USS. In any case - let's just have an uncut video of beepy beeps on display, VIN and bumpers!

I placed an MYLR order in April 2022, and at that time I'm pretty sure the MY had USS. Later in the year they removed USS, but I never received any kind of email/text telling me it was removed. I had read from some people in this forum that they had received this, and was given the opportunity to cancel and get their $250 back? How does this work? Is there going to be some kind of USS removal agreement I have to agree before taking delivery, and what happens if I reject that agreement?

Fundamentally you have the choice. Buy the car or don’t buy the car.

If USS is a deal breaker, you should just contact contact Tesla now and request a refund because they’ve changed the features of the car.

If it’s not a deal breaker…. Why do you care?
It is a dealbreaker. And I've already contacted Tesla, they're refusing to give me a refund on my $250. That's why I googled around and apparently some people got this USS removal agreement and had the opportunity to get a refund, so I'd like to know how they got that.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
It's not important why USS is a dealbreaker for some and not a dealbreaker for others. Some people like apples while others like oranges.

I'm only interested in how/where/when people got this agreement, and how they were able to reject it and get their deposit back.

It's not important why USS is a dealbreaker for some and not a dealbreaker for others. Some people like apples while others like oranges.

I'm only interested in how/where/when people got this agreement, and how they were able to reject it and get their deposit back.
I’m trying to figure out how you ordered your car in April but still haven’t received it. Tesla was working hard to get vehicles out the door towards the end of the year and the wait lists were down to essentially zero at one point. I know multiple people who ordered in January who have received their MYLR already.

Maybe the answer to that is why you haven’t received notification on this?

(Genuinely not trying to point fingers here, but there is a good chance that one relates to the other)

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out how you ordered your car in April but still haven’t received it. Tesla was working hard to get vehicles out the door towards the end of the year and the wait lists were down to essentially zero at one point. I know multiple people who ordered in January who have received their MYLR already.

Maybe the answer to that is why you haven’t received notification on this?

(Genuinely not trying to point fingers here, but there is a good chance that one relates to the other)

Oh forgot to mention I'm in Canada. I guess things are much slower here? Not sure, not really complaining about the slow delivery due to USS removal anyways. So are you supposed to receive the USS removal agreement right before delivery or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogre
Oh forgot to mention I'm in Canada. I guess things are much slower here? Not sure, not really complaining about the slow delivery due to USS removal anyways.
This makes a ton more sense.

I suspect you’ll just need to keep on your service rep and maybe try and elevate it.

Personally I think Tesla vision will be fine, but you should be able to get a refund on the deposit since they removed features.