Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my new MYHP today in Los Angeles. No sensors. Wasn't even aware they had done away with them or promised a replacement tech until I tried to park it today in the garage (very tight) and thought the sensors must not have been working. I've come to rely heavily on them, have them in my 2020 Model 3 and EVERY car I've had since probably early 2000's. This is unacceptable. Had I known, would NOT have purchased a new Tesla. Fix it please asap.
I’m with you it’s bs. Can see out the tiny back window. We can’t guess at how far things are by the camera. Fix it Tesla

Reactions: Ratch
An update:

Here's my texting with Tesla today as I let them know my displeasure:

Tesla: The software version 2022.40.4 will enable the cameras to receive parking distances from Autopilot but it may not be visibly displayed. With coming improvements, Tesla Vision will mimic the ultrasonic sensors abilities to detect objects so always make sure you are up to date on the latest software version.

Me: when is 40.4 releasing?

Tesla: It first released on November 3rd and is still currently rolling out to cars as Tesla continues finetuning the functionality of the vision system. There is a Christmas update coming so if you are still on old software you should get that function on the 25th with a lot more surprises!

Me: What does it mean "works with autopilot"?

Tesla: Object detection currently works when Autopilot is engaged. But it will become available for non autopilot activation once you receive that software update.,

I just got my 2023 MYLR without USS and parking is fine. Yes, it’s nice to have an inch by inch guide, but I’ve been parking for 35 years without USS and the MY is no more difficult to park than any other car.
Thanks for the real world experience - so no issues from what you can tell vs. parking any other SUV? I'm thinking about some tight parking garages.

My current car doesn't have a parking sensor but it's a much smaller car (3-series) so not sure how much of an issue it is to not have one.

An update:

Tesla: The software version 2022.40.4 will enable the cameras to receive parking distances from Autopilot but it may not be visibly displayed. With coming improvements, Tesla Vision will mimic the ultrasonic sensors abilities to detect objects so always make sure you are up to date on the latest software version.

Tesla: It first released on November 3rd and is still currently rolling out to cars as Tesla continues finetuning the functionality of the vision system. There is a Christmas update coming so if you are still on old software you should get that function on the 25th with a lot more surprises!

Tesla: Object detection currently works when Autopilot is engaged. But it will become available for non autopilot activation once you receive that software update.,
Seems rubbish based upon release notes and others experience

Reactions: Ratch
Thanks for the real world experience - so no issues from what you can tell vs. parking any other SUV? I'm thinking about some tight parking garages.

My current car doesn't have a parking sensor but it's a much smaller car (3-series) so not sure how much of an issue it is to not have one.
I’ve never had USS on any car I’ve owned. I’ve used them in a few cars and SUVs over the years as well as the Y we had for a 24 hour test drive. It’s a nice feature, but not necessary for me to park a car. We have a somewhat short garage so the first few times we parked, the other person got out to check we cleared the garage door and had enough room in front to walk past. After that, we could judge the position of the car and park without assistance. No biggie.

Reactions: tonyz1
Good news everyone! Tesla Xmas release notes indicate that the next software update will include enhanced light shows and enhanced farting. So this is how their software engineers are using their skills. This should appease those of you whining about Enhanced Autopilot not working and bumping into things when parking,,, NOT, Sad that there is nothing about USS replacement software.

An update:

I picked up my model Y on december 3rd and it had 2022.40.2. No chimes whatsoever. Now I'm on 2022.44.2 and still nothing.

He might mean it's in shadow mode or the software contains it or something (like green said) but it is not visible to the customer. Fix it, Tesla!

Great thread and was wondering about this. I take delivery this week and since the HD radar tumors are so strong, I wonder if the non-uss folks are going to be left hanging eternally. Vision was the promise But so it’s FSD and I don’t think Tesla feels too bad about that. But why would they remove the USS in October, when the HD radar rumors had first surfaced in September? They already knew they had hd radar coming, but still removed uss during the transition? That doesn’t make sense so I’m still hopeful for a Vision solution or I wait to take delivery until next year.

I picked up my model Y on december 3rd and it had 2022.40.2. No chimes whatsoever. Now I'm on 2022.44.2 and still nothing.

He might mean it's in shadow mode or the software contains it or something (like green said) but it is not visible to the customer. Fix it, Tesla!
How’s you get updates so fast? I took delivery on Nov 28 and got one update to 300.1 (was at 200.1 on delivery). I know they roll them out at different times. Just looking forward to an update.

Great thread and was wondering about this. I take delivery this week and since the HD radar tumors are so strong, I wonder if the non-uss folks are going to be left hanging eternally. Vision was the promise But so it’s FSD and I don’t think Tesla feels too bad about that. But why would they remove the USS in October, when the HD radar rumors had first surfaced in September? They already knew they had hd radar coming, but still removed uss during the transition? That doesn’t make sense so I’m still hopeful for a Vision solution or I wait to take delivery until next year.
Radar won’t impact USS replacement

Our Model 3 has no USS, which we just realized, and we are pissed. After 2 days of being like "why aren't the parking sensors working," and then reading about them killing off these sensors, we tried to return it, but they wont' take it back. We had a 2019 Model 3 that we just sold to get this 2023, at a higher price, and it actually LOST features. WTF

I'm now regretting deleting my Twitter account due to Captain Dipshit's making a data breach likely, since that may be the only way to get Tesla's attention.

Our Model 3 has no USS, which we just realized, and we are pissed. After 2 days of being like "why aren't the parking sensors working," and then reading about them killing off these sensors, we tried to return it, but they wont' take it back. We had a 2019 Model 3 that we just sold to get this 2023, at a higher price, and it actually LOST features. WTF

I'm now regretting deleting my Twitter account due to Captain Dipshit's making a data breach likely, since that may be the only way to get Tesla's attention.
Just got my first tesla MY. I was not happy as well. They say they’re going to fix it using software but i still can’t understand why they would remove sensors BEFORE they have a fix. Some on this forum seem to think its no big deal but when you pay well over 50k for a car it should have it all.

Calm down there. You may offend one of the notorious fanboys/girls (we all know who they are). You should be thankful to Tesla for the opportunity to have their car and pay for reinstating features which hopefully will come “in the future”.

Imagine how you’d fee is you paid for EAP and found many of its components are deactivated for the time being.

j/k. Sorry. I’d feel the same.

Reactions: CharlieMY
Calm down there. You may offend one of the notorious fanboys/girls (we all know who they are). You should be thankful to Tesla for the opportunity to have their car and pay for reinstating features which hopefully will come “in the future”.

Imagine how you’d fee is you paid for EAP and found many of its components are deactivated for the time being.

I am happy with the feature implementation without USS's.. we can save high repair cost for the bumpers..

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73

The irony is that the parking assist was one of our favorite features on the 2019. It was the best parking assistance feature on any car I’ve driven. To the point that we are now willing to pay more for other cars to get the front USS for parking assist. (We have some people in our family that aren’t particularly careful and have a history of smacking into stuff).

I’ve even looked into buying aftermarket ultrasonic sensors to fit onto other cars.

If the car had never had the feature to begin with, it would be a different story psychologically. But it had it, and then they took it away. Makes you remember all the other poor experiences we’ve had with our old Tesla. We came to terms with all that over time, and begrudgingly got another one partially for “devil you know” reasons. But they made it worse. Seriously, wtf.

I’m with you it’s bs. Can see out the tiny back window. We can’t guess at how far things are by the camera. Fix it Tesla
Assuming these sentences are connected and you're talking about the rear view camera, why do you need to guess? It projects two white lines on to the image.
1671127743300.png

Line the end of those closest to the bottom of the picture up with an object in the real world. Exit your vehicle and observe how close said object is to back of car (assuming it's the same as my Y it'll be basically the perfect safe distance for an obstacle to be behind the vehicle). Return to car enlightened and able to reverse with confidence.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boulder.dude