Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, you get nothing. So, you have to use cameras and mirrors backing up and there is nothing going forward.

Yes, the plan is to use the cameras and depth perception exactly like Autopilot, but for close distances at slow speed. No reason they cannot do it; they just pulled the hardware before they had the alternative software ready.
but TACC works right? No impact going with vision only? I do care about this feature as I drive 2.5 hours in traffic 3 days a week.

Currently, you get nothing. So, you have to use cameras and mirrors backing up and there is nothing going forward.

Yes, the plan is to use the cameras and depth perception exactly like Autopilot, but for close distances at slow speed. No reason they cannot do it; they just pulled the hardware before they had the alternative software ready.
Autopilot also seems to get spooked regularly and phantom brake you...very unnerving. Camera only tech is nowhere near ready, unless there is an incredible step change software upgrade coming that doesn’t appear to have any leaks about it anywhere on the web?

but TACC works right? No impact going with vision only? I do care about this feature as I drive 2.5 hours in traffic 3 days a week.
Yes, TACC is great.
Autopilot also seems to get spooked regularly and phantom brake you...very unnerving. Camera only tech is nowhere near ready, unless there is an incredible step change software upgrade coming that doesn’t appear to have any leaks about it anywhere on the web?
I trust this is real as I have read extensive anecdotal posts about it. But neither I nor any of my friends have ever experienced it. And we collectively use our autopilots extensively. There must be circumstances, or maybe a particular combination of hardware quirks, that lends to this in some cars but not all cars.

Reactions: Mullermn
Yes, TACC is great.

I trust this is real as I have read extensive anecdotal posts about it. But neither I nor any of my friends have ever experienced it. And we collectively use our autopilots extensively. There must be circumstances, or maybe a particular combination of hardware quirks, that lends to this in some cars but not all cars.
Yup sadly it’s real. Couple of examples: In the uk we often have very narrow lanes in highway roadworks. It got spooked when drawing up alongside a car to pass and slammed the anchors on. Another time the works concrete barrier opened up for access and when it restarted, again on came the brakes. Terrifying in busy traffic…probably even more so for the following car. Won’t ever double tap now…

You will also realise that for parking you need one eye each for your left or right mirrors to prevent your alloys getting trashed, plus one for the rear (ideally X-ray so you can see through the high hatch), plus ESP for everything else going on around.
USS doesn’t help with the alloys at all, you need side cameras (and prayers) for that. The rear camera is great and is below the high hatch.

It’s easy to view both side cameras and the back camera at the same time. I use the for getting close to curbs or checking to see if I’m centered in a parking spot.

So really the only USS problem is the front end, IMHO.

Reactions: Sanjiv
USS doesn’t help with the alloys at all, you need side cameras (and prayers) for that. The rear camera is great and is below the high hatch.

It’s easy to view both side cameras and the back camera at the same time. I use the for getting close to curbs or checking to see if I’m centered in a parking spot.

So really the only USS problem is the front end, IMHO.
Strange, I'd think someone in Colorado would know first-hand that rear camera is severely degraded when there's water and/or salt spray on it in the winter... I've been noting recently how useless any vision-based rear parking assist will be most of the winter on my recently ordered Y... Gonna miss USS hard.

Took delivery of my Model Y in late December (2023 version with USS sensors in place - I did check) . I have a pretty tight garage and I have been parking fine so far, but would be nice to have some "beeping" or object assist in the car.

Without shelling extra 6000$ for enhanced AP on Model Y . Is there a way to turn on parking sensors and get some visual guidance in tight spaces?

Reactions: Falcon73
Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I asked my local Tesla dealership (Belgium) when the Tesla Vision update for no-USS cars is to be expected.
Their reply (deepl translation):

"Unfortunately, we have no idea when to expect this update.
We hope together with our customers that this will happen soon but cannot make any promises in this regard."

So Tesla representatives/employees outside the AI Team generally have no clue and probably know less than we do.
I'm cross-posting this in the three main "no-USS threads".

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I asked my local Tesla dealership (Belgium) when the Tesla Vision update for no-USS cars is to be expected.
Their reply (deepl translation):

"Unfortunately, we have no idea when to expect this update.
We hope together with our customers that this will happen soon but cannot make any promises in this regard."

So Tesla representatives/employees outside the AI Team generally have no clue and probably know less than we do.
I'm cross-posting this in the three main "no-USS threads".
Be assured they will be working on the next light show and fart though!

Our brand new (2023) MYLR has no parking sensors. This was a surprise to us. Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away?

Anyway, it looks like this was decided back in October for the '23s (to remove ultrasonic sensors from the 3s & Ys). "Fun"

I nearly hit our water heater in the garage waiting for the usual sensor reports.

So, what is the solution?

I can understand the car relying on cameras, but I need more feedback, especially in front. If they did 360 (top down) then it wouldn't be such a problem. How about showing distances using the cameras? Am I missing something?

Maybe this is being discussed elsewhere and I've missed it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Our brand new (2023) MYLR has no parking sensors. This was a surprise to us. Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away?

Anyway, it looks like this was decided back in October for the '23s (to remove ultrasonic sensors from the 3s & Ys). "Fun"

I nearly hit our water heater in the garage waiting for the usual sensor reports.

So, what is the solution?

I can understand the car relying on cameras, but I need more feedback, especially in front. If they did 360 (top down) then it wouldn't be such a problem. How about showing distances using the cameras? Am I missing something?

Maybe this is being discussed elsewhere and I've missed it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
The work around is to park your car using the rear camera to give you information of how far you are away from the water heater. When the car is parked the way you like it, put some duct tape of the floor of the garage which can be seen by the rear camera. Place the tape so it just barely touches the bottom of the window on the display. Every time you park, if the tape is at the same location on the display, you will know how far you are from the water heater. Much more accurate than uss.

At this point if it’s a surprise to you, that’s on you for not researching or paying attention. The 2023 Ys have been missing USS since Nov/Dec 2022. It’s not new at this point and there’s enough dumpster fire threads on this already if you searched.
Well, at least it has stalks. I was worried they were taking those away. I hadn't heard anything about USS going away, but there's a lot of things to keep track. Of course the checklist I used didn't even address this, lol. Why is this on me?