Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our brand new (2023) MYLR has no parking sensors. This was a surprise to us. Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away?

Anyway, it looks like this was decided back in October for the '23s (to remove ultrasonic sensors from the 3s & Ys). "Fun"

I nearly hit our water heater in the garage waiting for the usual sensor reports.

So, what is the solution?

I can understand the car relying on cameras, but I need more feedback, especially in front. If they did 360 (top down) then it wouldn't be such a problem. How about showing distances using the cameras? Am I missing something?

Maybe this is being discussed elsewhere and I've missed it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reactions: Falcon73
As a new and former MYLR owner, this removal came as a surprise. I was thinking they may have removed the stalks but thankfully no on that. So, yeah they got me on the removal of the USS. I also hit the water heater in the garage with our new MYLR, waiting for the usual indicators and beeps. Wow Tesla, seriously?

I read this entire thread and we are still waiting for maybe Tesla Vision to bail us out. But for now, at least in the garage, we are using the
'ol tennis ball trick. It's silly that a car that's supposedly so advanced needs a "tennis ball parking sensor."

I don't gauge short distances well so the problem for me is especially in the front. On cars w/o front USS I tend to drive into the bushes on public parking all too frequently. I'm going to grab one of those Type-S cameras I've seen at Costco if they didn't sell out already and use it in the front.

Type S Parking Assist Camera

Guess I have to use a front license plate now...

Is there a way to use the top front camera when driving? A front bumper camera would be much better, however, so I will add one.

At this point if it’s a surprise to you, that’s on you for not researching or paying attention. The 2023 Ys have been missing USS since Nov/Dec 2022. It’s not new at this point and there’s enough dumpster fire threads on this already if you searched.
I dunno, it does seem a bit unreasonable to place the onus on the customer to keep track of every feature deletion after he or she places an order.

Well we can easily resolve this by asking @Falcon73 when the order was placed.

We ordered it the night prices dropped and got it just over a week later. So, even if ours is on me, what about everyone else?

Let's talk about how to fix the problem please.
There you go. You purchased the Y after the USS were removed. Therefore the onus is on you, the buyer to research that the vehicle has the options you want/need, not expecting they do.

As fast as how to fix the problem. The only real solution is to use your mirrors and cameras. If pulling in to the garage is your biggest issue. Reverse in so you can use your rearview camera to gauge the distance you have from the rear wall of the garage.
The USS are nice, but there are easy solutions. It may require you make a change to your parking habits, but they’re not impossible changes to make.
If you purchased after October 2022, you really have nothing to complain about since it was known your Y wouldn’t have USS.

There you go. You purchased the Y after the USS were removed. Therefore the onus is on you, the buyer to research that the vehicle has the options you want/need, not expecting they do.

As fast as how to fix the problem. The only real solution is to use your mirrors and cameras. If pulling in to the garage is your biggest issue. Reverse in so you can use your rearview camera to gauge the distance you have from the rear wall of the garage.
The USS are nice, but there are easy solutions. It may require you make a change to your parking habits, but they’re not impossible changes to make.
If you purchased after October 2022, you really have nothing to complain about since it was known your Y wouldn’t have USS.
The real solution is all around view. Way better than USS which will still allow you to run into curbs and anything else too low for the USS to "see". But that would require a camera on the front grill.

I’d trust USS, mirrors and camera views more than a top down 360 view.
All around view is just a bunch of camera views stitched together. And the issue is that we have no way of seeing what's just in front of the vehicle on any mirror or camera, because the camera that would be able to see stuff in that location doesn't exist. As far as a mirror view, such a mirror would have to be in front of and above the grill, which would make it difficult to put there without affecting aerodynamics or obstructing the driver's view, unless it is on a motorized arm.