Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not at all why.

Tesla software is software. There are clear methodologies in place to seed and expand releases so that you do so in both a controllable way to understand feedback and a way that allows revert and quick iteration.

Just like a major update on any device.

Be patient and you may even get a better working version.

Reactions: manub
I suspect we are in the majority. I am also still on the 2023.2.12 release. Anything after this appears to have very limited numbers of installs to date. You just need to be patient I have found. Tesla will get around to updating you when they feel like it.
Yes according to TeslaFi stats from their users 47% are still on 2.12. 47% are now on 6.8. 6.8 is rolling out really fast now. Just a couple days ago it was only 10-20% of the fleet. 6.9 is only 0.7% of the fleet so far. And all 6.9 installs are in N.A to date. Also there are now some users that went from 2.12 straight to 6.9. Although 89% went from 6.8 to 6.9. Still only 100 6.9 installs from the entire TeslaFi fleet.

After yesterdays update I noticed colored warning lights come on around the car when I park in the garage!! Pretty sure thats new. Have not had a chance to see how this works. Am I hallucinating or did they just activate the replacement feature for the USS?

Attachments

• 591A4EDC-2ED7-4D26-AB55-C9C482B93460.jpeg
    591A4EDC-2ED7-4D26-AB55-C9C482B93460.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 144
Yes, there's a lot of discussion about the update in the no USS stickied thread. Not sure how you missed it though since after the update there's a prompt telling you about Parking Assist that you have to acknowledge. You should have also gotten a Tesla message in your app saying the latest update you're getting will have Tesla Vision Parking Assist.

Reactions: WyoDude and ICE5891
Juse a nit. Saying "latest software" is good until the update after the one of interest. In fact 11.3.3 is out in just a few days after 11.3.2. Maybe ask the moderators to put the software version in the title. That will also help searching for particular versions.

Last edited:
Yes, there's a lot of discussion about the update in the no USS stickied thread. Not sure how you missed it though since after the update there's a prompt telling you about Parking Assist that you have to acknowledge. You should have also gotten a Tesla message in your app saying the latest update you're getting will have Tesla Vision Parking Assist.
I missed it cause I just pressed the update button while watching TV without paying attention and no it didnt ask me to authorize parking assist just the update….but yeah I just looked now. Not all new Tesla drivers know all the details of software versions and i had a couple of updates in just as many days with tesla so like phone updates did not pay attention. I also did not see the other discussion.
Anyhow looking fwd to the new feature

Attachments

• D24F0DA2-1E6F-4483-B6E9-5D17A251716F.png
    D24F0DA2-1E6F-4483-B6E9-5D17A251716F.png
    410.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
OK, just tested it out in a number of scenarios while running a few errands around the city -- it's really hit or miss. When pulling up to or backing up to our garage door, it's VERY accurate. It said that I was 20 inches away, and sure enough, it was pretty damn accurate.

However, when pulling up to a parking spot at Walgreens, where the concrete barriers are set down so that your car doesn't go past a certain point, it kept telling me to STOP and beeped even though I could visually judge that I had plenty of space left. The on-screen display showed a red horizontal line going through the bumper, signifying that I had gone PAST the barrier. I got out of the car, and the front bumper was about 12 inches away from the barrier -- in other words, I had plenty of room.

For the last test, I pulled up to my local donut shop into a space. There's just a curb that runs in front of all of the parking spaces in the strip mall. As I pulled up, it again beeped at me and told me STOP. It again put a red line through the bumper (like at Walgreens) to, I guess, tell me that I can't park. But again, got out of the car, and I had a good foot or so left to go.

So it seems as though it's good if it's a vertical wall in front of you. Not so accurate if it's a low-lying object, but still better than nothing. And that would make sense because how the hell is the camera going to be able to accurately predict how far away it is when it's out of sight? It can see a wall pretty clear as day, but the barrier/curb would only initially be visible to the camera, then disappear from view as you get closer (obscured by the hood). So it's doing some kind of calculations based on the last known position and your speed as you approach (or at least, that's my guess). I'm sure it'll get better with time.

Yes according to TeslaFi stats from their users 47% are still on 2.12. 47% are now on 6.8. 6.8 is rolling out really fast now. Just a couple days ago it was only 10-20% of the fleet. 6.9 is only 0.7% of the fleet so far. And all 6.9 installs are in N.A to date. Also there are now some users that went from 2.12 straight to 6.9. Although 89% went from 6.8 to 6.9. Still only 100 6.9 installs from the entire TeslaFi fleet.
Do you know if Tesla does commulative updates or if they have to be updated one update at the time.

For example

A car has Tesla version 1.0 Tesla releases version 1.1, but the car is not connected to wifi until version 1.2 comes out.

Will the car then update from "1.0 -> 1.2" directly or is it "1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2"

I guess they send an update that only contains the "differences" so maybe the 6.8 to 6.9 comes very quickly because it is only a very small update to enable this feature, that was already implemented and sent with version 6.8

So it seems as though it's good if it's a vertical wall in front of you. Not so accurate if it's a low-lying object, but still better than nothing. And that would make sense because how the hell is the camera going to be able to accurately predict how far away it is when it's out of sight? It can see a wall pretty clear as day, but the barrier/curb would only initially be visible to the camera, then disappear from view as you get closer (obscured by the hood). So it's doing some kind of calculations based on the last known position and your speed as you approach (or at least, that's my guess). I'm sure it'll get better with time.
If it has an accurate measurement before it gets out of view, it would be trivial to just measure the distance the car had moved forward, from the wheel sensors.

Interesting that everyone (not just here) is slamming Tesla Vision for not recognizing curbs. My car with USS doesn't recognize curbs, probably since most of them are too low to damage the car. However, when I go to the library, the curbs there are above the bottom of the front lip and USS never beeps.
What version do some of you have my MYP v 6.9 is when the assist feature came online. Works awesome in my tight garage

This morning it worked. I wouldn't say it's perfect but it seems to at least offer as much functionality as the abandoned USS. Considering it will get better w/ time as they develop it, that's good enough for me. Sure beats nothing at all which is what we had before this.

That said, I'm noticing a recurring theme where it takes forever to initialize when I first start out which renders it largely worthless with normal usage in and around parking lots and such. I'm sure this too will get better with time but it's the biggest initial gripe I have as not being available at all is worse than being a little inaccurate.

That said, I'm noticing a recurring theme where it takes forever to initialize when I first start out which renders it largely worthless with normal usage in and around parking lots and such. I'm sure this too will get better with time but it's the biggest initial gripe I have as not being available at all is worse than being a little inaccurate.
Same here. Just noticed the long initialize process. When I am quick into drive mode it fails to initialize. Must be measuring stuff by stereotactic triangulation and calibrating cameras each time. Ill have to time the ini. delay and post back.

Reactions: glovelace
Since I just picked up my MY a few days ago, I probably won't get an update for a month. It came with 2023.2.200. I made sure to turn on "advanced" for software updates, but probably gonna have to wait until mid-April before getting an update. 😢