Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Performance ride quality + tire issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Been lurking on this forum for a while but ready to take delivery this December especially since I don't quality for the tax credit anyways next year. One way to get to the front of the line seems to switch to the performance model. Currently have a red model y with 19in tires and white interior on order. Can anyone share their experiences with the Model Y Performance along two dimensions:

1. How is the ride quality? I have a BMW 3 series I'm replacing as a reference point. Should I expect it better or worse? However, I test drove the MYP recently on a well maintained stretch of surface streets + highway, it didn't feel too bad or too different from a MYLR. My experience in riding in other people's Teslas wasn't all that great. Am I missing something / do I have low standards?

2. Tires - are they for sure summer tires? If so, how will they perform in the rain? Are there any benefits to 21in tires besides the looks? Costco seems to stock 21in all seasons for the Model Y -are they a must replace?

I expect to spend most of my time driving between 40 mph to 80mph and the range is plentiful enough in either cases.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

2. Tires - are they for sure summer tires? If so, how will they perform in the rain? Are there any benefits to 21in tires besides the looks? Costco seems to stock 21in all seasons for the Model Y -are they a must replace?
In CA yes, they are summer tires. Summer tires work fine in the rain. The ones on my model 3P are some of the best tires I have ever had in both dry and rain, they just are not for any sort of snow or any long period of time spent under 40 degrees. No I do not consider them a "must replace" I have driven around on summer tires only for like the past 18 years in SoCal. If you go to the snow or something, then yes, otherwise no.

Ride quality is so subjective, there are tons and tons (and tons and tons) of posts here about it. I find my wifes model Y performance ride quality to be fine, and so does she. She came from a BMW X3 M40i that she always wanted to drive in sport mode (with the adaptive sport suspension option).

I dont find the ride any more harsh than any of the multitude of BMWs I had over the past 18-20 years, but others think differently.

Reactions: tonyz1
Tesla uses two different tires at random for MYP deliveries.
One is a Pirelli full summer tire and the other a Michelin High Performance All Season Tire.

There is no rhyme or reason for who gets what. People in the most northern, snow ridden areas have had cars delivered with the Summers and many reports from California people getting the All Seasons.

In the current market where you can order and get a MYP the next day, I'd just tell Tesla to find you a car with the tire you want. I wouldn't settle anymore now that demand has dried up.

Reactions: tonyz1
Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it. Still torn between the two options, I think I'm going to wait a week and see if Tesla assigns me a VIN (delivery window is 12/10 - 12/24 for me right now), if not, I'll probably bump myself to the Performance model and see if they will turn it around faster.

Most ppl forget that myp come with 21” staggered wheels meaning front tires is different from back, you can’t rotate them to saved money and have tires to last longer.

Also insurance going to be more for myp vs mylr.

However I loved the looks of the myp with all the extras included. I opted in for 20” wheels on mylr. I might have to switch to MYP as it is only $2k more, but I would probably buy another set of 19” for winter time as 21” may get beat up in the winter and low profile tires may not have the greatest grip even with all weather tires. Also to make them tires to lasted a little longer if to switch between them.

I live in New England and took delivery of a Model Y Performance in June with all season 21”. The ride is fantastic on nice roadways and rough on lousy roads. The performance is outstanding. The car rides as though it was on rails. There is no margin for error next to curbs, potholes, etc. Coming from years of Jeep Grand Cherokee Summits, the delicate nature of the Tesla is not easy to get used to. But it’s the best driving car I’ve ever had. I just purchased 19” wheels and snow tires from Tire Rack. So far, so good. It’s nice having a sidewall again. Sucks to spend another $3k but no way I want to risk a New England winter on those 21s.

Attachments

• 14E55BFA-A490-44EB-9910-50B47CD44A9F.jpeg
    14E55BFA-A490-44EB-9910-50B47CD44A9F.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 960
Reactions: yellowr6
I ended up getting a Model Y Long Range with the 19in tires. Love the aggressive look of the performance and always like better acceleration and more speed. However, on my morning commute, I saw two CHP cars on the road and was thankful I had it set to auto pilot at a pedestrian 75mph. Already in the penalty box for another year for another speed ticket in my old car so gotta be on my best behavior.

I thought my 21" Michelin MYP was fine when I took delivery in Sept (before the new suspension) but it has become increasingly harsher now that temps have dropped into the 20s and 30s. Feels like the rubber has gotten stiffer, and the tires are no longer soaking up certain imperfections like they used to. I only have 3500mi on the car.

It's pushing me towards a 19" winter set, even though I don't really want to drop the $$ since I have another EV with Winter tires I can use when it snows. (Work from home, too) The ride is just starting to get brutal, borderline ridiculous. The roads in my neighborhood have some really bumpy sections, they are bouncing me around more than usual it seems now that it's December.

I replaced the stock P-zeros with larger Conti all-season tires tires on the stock 21" Ubers. They take the edge off the ride, afford curb protection, look better on the car, and are of course safer in extreme weather. I can detect no performance or range loss. You'll find many threads here on larger tires for the MYP. I got 265 and 295/40-21, the maximum size I'm willing to risk. The only downside IMO is the speedo registers slightly low (73 actual at indicated 70).

Reactions: DeshE
I live in New England and took delivery of a Model Y Performance in June with all season 21”. The ride is fantastic on nice roadways and rough on lousy roads. The performance is outstanding. The car rides as though it was on rails. There is no margin for error next to curbs, potholes, etc. Coming from years of Jeep Grand Cherokee Summits, the delicate nature of the Tesla is not easy to get used to. But it’s the best driving car I’ve ever had. I just purchased 19” wheels and snow tires from Tire Rack. So far, so good. It’s nice having a sidewall again. Sucks to spend another $3k but no way I want to risk a New England winter on those 21s.
Did your efficiency and ride quality get better after going to 19s?

I had a June 22 MYLR that was totaled on Dec 8th. On 12/22 I ordered an MYP and picked it up yesterday. The MYLR was pretty rough riding (It had Conti all season on 19" wheels), the Oct 2023 MYP I just picked up rides substantially better and quieter, it has the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. I was surprised. It did not have a parcel shelf (delivery rep says MYPs from Fremont don't have it, I'm not sure that is true) and it still has USS which is actually good in that parking in my tight garage and some spaces might have been difficult without them.

I had a June 22 MYLR that was totaled on Dec 8th. On 12/22 I ordered an MYP and picked it up yesterday. The MYLR was pretty rough riding (It had Conti all season on 19" wheels), the Oct 2023 MYP I just picked up rides substantially better and quieter, it has the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. I was surprised. It did not have a parcel shelf (delivery rep says MYPs from Fremont don't have it, I'm not sure that is true) and it still has USS which is actually good in that parking in my tight garage and some spaces might have been difficult without them.
Yeah the first week or two of 2023 that still had USS didn’t have the parcel shelf. But I’m pretty sure the more recent MYPs do.

My 2023 MYP has the parcel shelf and no USS. November build.

I may see if I can convince Tesla to sell me the Parcel shelf parts and install them. I know they quit selling them in general, but I will argue that the 2023 Performance have them and I would like to make mine a fully 2023 model for future resale. They certainly cannot argue that they aren't standard for my car.