Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Performance Suspension Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else disappointed the 2023 Model Y received the soft comfort suspension? I get it for the AWD and LR but for a car that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds the power overwealms the new suspension with spirated driving. It should be tuned for a performance enthusiast and minimize body roll. Car pitches quite a bit launching and takes a lot of the fun out of the car =(. I'm afraid a sway bar can maybe help with the body roll but not the stop and go feel. Anyone share the same feedback? I just test drove a 22 after a 23 and wish it had the original 22 suspension =(. I know it's not 'comfortable' but it's the performance model.

Is anyone else disappointed the 2023 Model Y received the soft comfort suspension? I get it for the AWD and LR but for a car that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds the power overwealms the new suspension with spirated driving. It should be tuned for a performance enthusiast and minimize body roll. Car pitches quite a bit launching and takes a lot of the fun out of the car =(. I'm afraid a sway bar can maybe help with the body roll but not the stop and go feel. Anyone share the same feedback? I just test drove a 22 after a 23 and wish it had the original 22 suspension =(. I know it's not 'comfortable' but it's the performance model.
No I ordered the 23 suspension for my 22 performance. Just because a car feels stiffer doesn't mean it handles better, or does anything better actually.

Most people feel the 2023 suspension is an improvement and 2022 is too bumpy. Do you know the tire pressure in your test drive?
If I recall 46 all the way around. I come from typically modified stiffer rides I might just be accustomed to it now. All I know is given a safe area to drive accelerating and taking turns at decent speed is definitely better on the older suspension. Seems like my wife and I are in the extreme minority =). 23 was 'too' comfortable and 'squishy' for us for a performance car.

Granted this is comparing a less powerful au rwd base with the stiffer suspension, it's pretty funny the contrast as here he glows about track performance (uncomfortable around bumps, compliant fun to drive around the track .... this video in the wet to boot):

Now here's a video of same reviewer with a comfort suspension 2023 performance, same track on the performance part of the review and complains it doesn't do well and even blames it on the height while the previous review was technically higher off the ground? (rest of vide highlights how much more comfortable it is around town). Again for me, performance first comfort second for a performance car, get LR for comfort (just my opinion =):

I had someone at my Tesla location mention the 2023 Model Y LR and Performance now share the same comfort suspension. Can someone confirm if that's true? The performance still seems to sit lower to me.

I picked up my 2023 Model Y Performance yesterday that seems to have been built last month with the intent on swapping out comfort suspension for the 2022 performance only to notice the ride firmness was what I remember the 2022 performance to be more like. I come home to try and get part numbers and I believe I actually landed performance suspension which feels way more appropriate with the acceleration and handling of the car. The only part number I was able to grab without jacking up the car was the front passenger side part number spring is 1188065-00-D. It doesn't match up with any of the comfort part numbers I see. I know originally comfort was just meant for LR / Base maybe now it's going back? Just FYI for others with newer builds, not sure if I just got lucky (at least lucky for me =). Also, what's the best way to confirm my part number is indeed 2022 and earlier performance suspension?

Last edited:
All 3 of these part numbers are for front left on Performnce model, the difference being the suffix letter D E F, with F being the latest iteration. That part number you posted is likely for the spring only. Being the part number on your spring ends with D, it’s reasonable to assume the number for your entire strut assembly is the one that also ends in D. May or may not be the comfort variety. You’d have to ask Tesla about that one.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.png
    IMG_0900.png
    400.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: stripedrex