Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y rattles in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had few Tesla service appointments and every time they tell me yes they hear the rattles but not sure about the source and that these can be tricky to fix bla bla bla. In some cases they actually made it worst and then fix the worst part on next appointment. At this point I almost want to grab a hammer and smash the fin car.

Am I just the unlucky one or am I just being ocd here and all model Y just make these rattling noises on even slightly rough roads and freeways (and I am not talking pot holes).

My 14 year old Nissan runs smoother and quieter than this 3 months old ModelY (which I paid $70K that is now probably worth $35K).

Anyone else similar problem or do model Y drivers are just expected to keep their music up so they can’t hear all the screams their car is making.

Reactions: OkayThen
Sorry about your rattles. My 12/20 produced MYLR is rattle free at 42k miles.

Can you be more specific about the rattles? Have you done an advanced search in this forum? I recall seeing threads about rattles, some of them very specific, and they might be helpful.

Probably best to join one of the existing threads rather than starting another thread. The TMC database is already horribly clogged with duplicate threads.

Reactions: joeinNFLA
The service departments are already overworked and trying to find the cause of a vague NVH problem is going to be very low priority, as it takes a lot of time/effort to pin down where it is coming from.

They even have an exclusion section in the warranty, although generally the service department will still make an effort to try to see if they can fix rattles:
"In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
General appearance or normal noises and vibrations, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration for which there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement;"
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Here's the search results on the forum, you can see there are a ton of possible places it can come from:
Search results for query: model y rattle

Reactions: Seattle Tom
See if someone else can drive your car while you ride in the back seat. Or, if you're in a secluded neighborhood, ride in the "tub" in the very back of the car. I was able to pinpoint some noises this way in my own car.

This is what the techs will do - might as well save yourself a trip to the SC and do it yourself. They're not going to make it easy on you. :)

My mobile tech gave me a few feet of 3M fabric tape they use to put between trim panels in order to quiet them.

I have had few Tesla service appointments and every time they tell me yes they hear the rattles but not sure about the source and that these can be tricky to fix bla bla bla. In some cases they actually made it worst and then fix the worst part on next appointment. At this point I almost want to grab a hammer and smash the fin car.

Am I just the unlucky one or am I just being ocd here and all model Y just make these rattling noises on even slightly rough roads and freeways (and I am not talking pot holes).

My 14 year old Nissan runs smoother and quieter than this 3 months old ModelY (which I paid $70K that is now probably worth $35K).

Anyone else similar problem or do model Y drivers are just expected to keep their music up so they can’t hear all the screams their car is making.
I am just in the same shoes, 3 months old Y has pretty much the same symptoms you described. Have identical feelings about cost and quality issues. Had a service appointment, they popped rear seat, some back panels, but didn't find much. From watching and reading around the forums the cause could be the rear hatch door, very big and heavy making weird noises on bumpy roads. I saw some videos on guy inserting 3/8 soft tube into the sealing around the hatch, but I think you will get different issues doing that. On smooth roads car drives perfectly fine and very quiet. I guess just get used to it, just don't see any better way not to go crazy mentally.

Alex L: Have you adjusted the 4 rubber bumper/stops that support the hatch when closed? There are threads discussing this, and which fixes any issues caused by the heavy hatch having uneven support.

I have a Nov built Austin MYLR and had an annoying rattle from the back. They changed the seatbelt recoil and that fixed half of it. After ripping up most of the car they determined it was the clamps holding in the rear right quarter panel window. They replaced that and it was fixed. I still have a glovebox rattle that is annoying and an appointment next week.

Picked up my 2023 Austin build MY 2 weeks ago. Noise coming from the front left windshield area and front headlight misaligned. I pointed out the misaligned headlight during delivery and the delivery rep acknowledged it was out of alignment, and recommended I put in a service request right away, because it was something they couldn't fix on the spot. Of course after I put it in and took took in for service, I was told the lights are within spec, and the noise is normal road noise. Sigh!

You are not alone: I have 23 YP with a few different noises from rear of car when driving over rough pavement, bumps. I think they are coming from the rear seat, but cannot pinpoint noises just yet.

The car is pretty quiet otherwise.

Plan to try to locate and address the noises myself once it gets warmer. Theres quite a YouTube vids about locating and fixing rattles in Teslas.

Picked up my 2023 Austin build MY 2 weeks ago. Noise coming from the front left windshield area and front headlight misaligned. I pointed out the misaligned headlight during delivery and the delivery rep acknowledged it was out of alignment, and recommended I put in a service request right away, because it was something they couldn't fix on the spot. Of course after I put it in and took took in for service, I was told the lights are within spec, and the noise is normal road noise. Sigh!
How long did it take you to get a service appt? I made one as we were leaving from delivery...Yes you read the correctly. The first appt was 3 weeks out

You are not alone: I have 23 YP with a few different noises from rear of car when driving over rough pavement, bumps. I think they are coming from the rear seat, but cannot pinpoint noises just yet.

The car is pretty quiet otherwise.

Plan to try to locate and address the noises myself once it gets warmer. Theres quite a YouTube vids about locating and fixing rattles in Teslas.
...and as it gets warmer, the rattles will change, or go away completely. Winter is the worst time of year for rattles, with the various body parts shrinking in the cold temps.

Alex L: Have you adjusted the 4 rubber bumper/stops that support the hatch when closed? There are threads discussing this, and which fixes any issues caused by the heavy hatch having uneven support.
I did play a little with all 4 bumper/stops, but not 100% sure i am doing it right. If you have any link, please share. I was searching before but didn't find any adequate advise with proper instructions.

I also have a '23 Y and know my rattle is coming from a loose screw or plastic plug inside the lift gate. I noticed that when I open the lift gate sometimes I can get it get dislodged and slide around.

It drives me nuts, but hasn't been a priority for me to drive the 50 mins to the service center to get them to address.