Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y - Retrieve Dashcam videos to view on PC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - forgive me for asking this question as it might be simple but I need help.

2023 Model Y does not come with a USB drive in the glovebox. It has an internal storage not visible. I can view the dashcam and sentry videos on the Y, but how do I export them out of there so that I can get a copy of a video on a computer?

Hello - forgive me for asking this question as it might be simple but I need help.

2023 Model Y does not come with a USB drive in the glovebox. It has an internal storage not visible. I can view the dashcam and sentry videos on the Y, but how do I export them out of there so that I can get a copy of a video on a computer?
I just took delivery of a 2023 MY LR from Austin and it has the Tesla Flash Drive connected to the USB port in the glovebox. Are you sure you didn't just overlook it? See image below for the location.

The MY manual says you can also connect your cell phone to the USB-C port (in the center console) to download dashcam videos.
1628188-00-A_1_2000.jpg

Reactions: Paul1
I just took delivery of a 2023 MY LR from Austin and it has the Tesla Flash Drive connected to the USB port in the glovebox. Are you sure you didn't just overlook it? See image below for the location.

The MY manual says you can also connect your cell phone to the USB-C port (in the center console) to download dashcam videos.
1628188-00-A_1_2000.jpg
You are correct, now that I opened the glovebox while sitting on the passenger side, I do see the black flashdrive. Which you cannot really see from driver side unless you lean over to the passenger side fully and look at the left side.

Reactions: Scubamikey

You are incorrect. My 2023 Model Y (LR/AWD) built in Austin came with a TESLA thumb drive installed in the glovebox. My Sentry and Dashcam video saves to it automatically. I took delivery 11/12/2022.

I dropped my new MYLR off at a shop for safety inspection and within 20 minutes of leaving it looks like someone decided to take it for a 5 mile joyride. I didn’t realize it came with a USB drive so I’m looking forward to the video. TezLab shows the route and 43% efficiency which indicates a bunch of WOT launches. Fortunately I put it in valet mode which I understand nerfs acceleration. I really wish Tesla delivered their cars already inspected like everyone else.

not once was a road test part of the inspection.
Then I would submit that they have no business calling themselves pros. There are so many issues that can only be noticed on a test drive. For example, a rough wheel bearing. Need to have the weight on ground and rolling and maybe only audible on turns. Is the steering wheel straight? Does it drift or pull? Brakes straight? The list is long. Got my Journeyman's card in 1980 so I picked up a few things. If you have not road tested the car, the inspection is incomplete. I suggest you find a better shop.

Not sure what your state requires as part of an inspection. Could be that these shops are only doing the minimum required. Still, the inspection is not thorough without a road test. I would ask to be sure this is part of the service.

Last edited:
Then I would submit that they have no business calling themselves pros. There are so many issues that can only be noticed on a test drive. For example, a rough wheel bearing. Need to have the weight on ground and rolling and maybe only audible on turns. Is the steering wheel straight? Does it drift or pull? Brakes straight? The list is long. Got my Journeyman's card in 1980 so I picked up a few things. If you have not road tested the car, the inspection is incomplete. I suggest you find a better shop.

Not sure what your state requires as part of an inspection. Could be that these shops are only doing the minimum required. Still, the inspection is not thorough without a road test. I would ask to be sure this is part of the service.

Road tests are not standard practice in a PA safety Inspection. I've never had a shop take a road test in over 30 years of getting cars inspected each year, with several cars in the family needing inspection each year. At various shops.

Road Tests are standard for dealers to do a PDI(pre delivery inspection). But that's if you bought a car that recently came off a truck and the dealer hasn't done it yet. They do it to every car they sell. They do drive it hard and press the brakes hard to make sure they work well. However, this would have been Tesla that did this, not a private shop.

They check emissions by connecting to the OBD-II port for post 1996 cars.

For the most part they check:
1. Tire Tread Depth.
2. Suspension bushing and components(check for looseness).
3. Brake inspection for rotor thickness and pad thickness.
4. Steering components such as a leak in the rack and looseness in any components.
5. Windshield Wipers and cracks in the windshield.
6. ALL light bulbs and lights install on the car, even aftermarket.
7. They spin the tires on the lift to check wheel bearings.
8. Check the frame for holes due to excessive rust. (generally not a problem here, but some people do buy cars from very salty states and fail this part)

They do not check TPMS sensors, the TPMS light can be on.
Check engine light can also be on as long as it's not emissions related.

7. They spin the tires on the lift to check wheel bearings.
My point made. An unloaded test is useless, unless it's so bad as to be obvious.

My routine was to road test first. Then, when you rack it, you can focus more attention on what you noticed during the road test.

You are right about driving hard. Often a road test involves some aggressive driving maneuvers to flush out things the daily driver may not have noticed. It's the job done right. When my safety and that of my family, not to mention others on the road with me, are at stake I do not want a minimalist safety inspection.

Sorry if I derailed this thread. Just could not let it go...

My point made. An unloaded test is useless, unless it's so bad as to be obvious.

My routine was to road test first. Then, when you rack it, you can focus more attention on what you noticed during the road test.

You are right about driving hard. Often a road test involves some aggressive driving maneuvers to flush out things the daily driver may not have noticed. It's the job done right. When my safety and that of my family, not to mention others on the road with me, are at stake I do not want a minimalist safety inspection.

Sorry if I derailed this thread. Just could not let it go...

Yea, there's a right way to do it. But PA doesn't ask the inspector to do that. They just specify applying the brake and inspecting for 1/4" in play. If there's more than a 1/4" then it fails: 67 Pa. Code § 175.80. Inspection procedure. So no road test is needed to check wheel bearings.

(ii) Measured movement at the front or rear of a tire is greater than 1/4-inch. Eliminate all wheel bearing movement by applying the service brake; then, with the vehicle raised and wheels in the straight ahead position, grasp the front and rear of the tire and attempt to move the assembly right and left without moving the steering gear. Measure the movement.

However, PA does say a Road test is required in their manual. But I guess mechanics just observe this when they move the car from the parking spot to the garage bay. The road test is not very involved and extremely basic. I've never seen any mechanic take my cars out onto the road. So for the OP, a road test is part of the procedure.

(f) Road test. Perform road test and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(1) The parking brake fails to exhibit normal resistance when an attempt is made to move the vehicle both forward and backward from a stopped position.

(2) The automatic transmission will not hold in the park position.

(3) The vehicle is not capable of stopping within the maximum stopping distance prescribed in Table I (relating to brake performance) or swerves so that any part leaves the 12-foot lane.

(4) There is a malfunction of the braking or steering mechanism, particular shimmy, wander, pull or another questionable operating behavior that affects safe operation of the vehicle.

(5) The speedometer does not operate.

(6) The odometer does not operate, except on a motor vehicle at least 25 years old.

(7) The vehicle cannot be driven both forward and backward.

Interestingly, I found this while looking at the PA inspection. I wonder if the steering yoke in the X and S are legal in PA?

The steering wheel, except if specially designed for handicapped drivers, is not circular or equivalent in strength to original equipment or has an outside diameter less than 13 inches.

Yea, there's a right way to do it. But PA doesn't ask the inspector to do that. They just specify applying the brake and inspecting for 1/4" in play. If there's more than a 1/4" then it fails: 67 Pa. Code § 175.80. Inspection procedure. So no road test is needed to check wheel bearings.

However, PA does say a Road test is required in their manual. But I guess mechanics just observe this when they move the car from the parking spot to the garage bay. The road test is not very involved and extremely basic. I've never seen any mechanic take my cars out onto the road. So for the OP, a road test is part of the procedure.

Interestingly, I found this while looking at the PA inspection. I wonder if the steering yoke in the X and S are legal in PA?
What did I miss??? 🍿