Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model Y steering wheels problem error UI_a020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in vacation with my family with my two weeks old model y. Yesterday I am getting error UI_a020 stating steering assist reduced. My steering wheel become stiff. I was able to go in and out of the car couple times and the problem disappeared, but when I stop the car and re-enter it happen again.

I don’t know if this is even safe to drive?

Let me know if anyone is getting the same problem? I will be sending to car to the service center today.

Mobile Service is replacing my steering column on Tuesday for jerky, binding steering. It used to get better by driving slowly while turning to both end points a couple of times or just turning a corner while driving. That's no longer the case.

If the column replacement doesn't work, I'll have drop it off at the nearest SC, which is 230 miles away, and I better get a loaner. There's lots of discussion here on the topic, but most were resolved with a s/w update or column/rack replacement months ago.

BUT, except for a scarry "take control" error I had the first time I noticed the issue, I got no error code with mine, nor do I recall seeing it in the other threads. Either way, you'll want to get service involved. My issue has escalated to the point where I need to drive with two hands at times now and it's no longer an intermittent problem.

Hi Fellow members,
I have a brand new Model Y with 450kms on it and faces this ui_a020 error on it. It first sorted when I summoned the car and as soon as I sat in, the steering was weird, made a click noise on turning either direction like haptic feedback. The inputs were like in clicks instead of being a smooth steer. Drove back 20Kms mostly on auto steer which was fine. Then tried the soft reset, parked over Night and still nothing.
Next morning drove for 5ks to the docs with the same issue and then when tried to get. Mac in the vehicle, the steering won’t move. It was like absolutely jammed in the position with this error.

Apart from being absolutely shocked at a new car doing this, I’m hoping with fingers crossed that this is a software issue than a hardware one.

Anyone with this particular experience and thoughts on resolution?

As I sit in the vehicle right now, waiting for the roadside assistance to take it to the SC.

#ExcitedNotSoHappyTeslaOwner :/

Hi Fellow members,
I have a brand new Model Y with 450kms on it and faces this ui_a020 error on it. It first sorted when I summoned the car and as soon as I sat in, the steering was weird, made a click noise on turning either direction like haptic feedback. The inputs were like in clicks instead of being a smooth steer. Drove back 20Kms mostly on auto steer which was fine. Then tried the soft reset, parked over Night and still nothing.
Next morning drove for 5ks to the docs with the same issue and then when tried to get. Mac in the vehicle, the steering won’t move. It was like absolutely jammed in the position with this error.

Apart from being absolutely shocked at a new car doing this, I’m hoping with fingers crossed that this is a software issue than a hardware one.

Anyone with this particular experience and thoughts on resolution?

As I sit in the vehicle right now, waiting for the roadside assistance to take it to the SC.

#ExcitedNotSoHappyTeslaOwner :/

My steering was stuck at least twice when leaving for work, but a muscle freed it. Otherwise, when it was really bad, turning the wheel end to end while driving slowly, freed it up as well, but it still sounded "dry" when turning the wheel, like something was rubbing or needed lubrication. That all went away after a rack replacement. I had no error codes tho, just a few notices when autopilot wasn't able to keep engaged due to the high effort required. It acted like I had disengaged it by turning the wheel.

Hope the resolved your issue quickly. I put up with mine for about 3-4 weeks and it got worse as the weather warmed up or the car warmed up from long trips..

My steering was stuck at least twice when leaving for work, but a muscle freed it. Otherwise, when it was really bad, turning the wheel end to end while driving slowly, freed it up as well, but it still sounded "dry" when turning the wheel, like something was rubbing or needed lubrication. That all went away after a rack replacement. I had no error codes tho, just a few notices when autopilot wasn't able to keep engaged due to the high effort required. It acted like I had disengaged it by turning the wheel.

Hope the resolved your issue quickly. I put up with mine for about 3-4 weeks and it got worse as the weather warmed up or the car warmed up from long trips..
So I have the car back and they had to replace the steering rack, which as per them is extremely rate for a3eeek old car. They were unsure why this happened but were quick to replace it.

I just picked up the car and going the string to be stiffer then before ACC m and although they say the alignment has been done, it pulls to one side.

I’m hoping that the stiffness, especially when turning right goes away post realignment of the wheels

So I have the car back and they had to replace the steering rack, which as per them is extremely rate for a3eeek old car. They were unsure why this happened but were quick to replace it.

I just picked up the car and going the string to be stiffer then before ACC m and although they say the alignment has been done, it pulls to one side.

I’m hoping that the stiffness, especially when turning right goes away post realignment of the wheels
This is a rare finding for most cars, but even a cursory examination of the forum shows multiple examples of people with the same error and subsequently needing a steering rack replacement. Sometimes it is with very new cars, other times it is with older cars, still under warranty, but old enough that it should not be an “infant mortality” issue. My 2022 model X is currently in service for the same error message, with no diagnosis as of yet. If it is also the steering rack, I may try to create a thread where we can aggregate a list of people who have had the same problem. This is a potentially very serious issue, as my wife was driving when the car lost all power steering, and she nearly crashed trying to bring the car safely to a stop. This was the first time we ever had the error message and there were no indications that there was a problem with the steering before it happened.

I was in vacation with my family with my two weeks old model y. Yesterday I am getting error UI_a020 stating steering assist reduced. My steering wheel become stiff. I was able to go in and out of the car couple times and the problem disappeared, but when I stop the car and re-enter it happen again.

I don’t know if this is even safe to drive?

Let me know if anyone is getting the same problem? I will be sending to car to the service center today.
I just got the same problem. My car is one month old. What did you do to resolve your issue?

Happened to my 3week old model Y while my wife was driving with kids in the car. Steering went stiff rigid while turning into main road. She went into oncoming traffic luckily the cars swirved to avoid crash.
Sc is coming to pick up the car today. Will report what they find.

This is a rare finding for most cars, but even a cursory examination of the forum shows multiple examples of people with the same error and subsequently needing a steering rack replacement. Sometimes it is with very new cars, other times it is with older cars, still under warranty, but old enough that it should not be an “infant mortality” issue. My 2022 model X is currently in service for the same error message, with no diagnosis as of yet. If it is also the steering rack, I may try to create a thread where we can aggregate a list of people who have had the same problem. This is a potentially very serious issue, as my wife was driving when the car lost all power steering, and she nearly crashed trying to bring the car safely to a stop. This was the first time we ever had the error message and there were no indications that there was a problem with the steering before it happened.
Good idea.

It happened to my Model 3 today which has only 520 miles and is 3 weeks old. while reversing in a driveway. After locking and getting back in the car it worked fine but happened again when I was at a traffic light. I contacted roadside assistance and they suggested I do a reset but I am afraid to drive and have them tow the car to a service center.

I just got the same “notchy” steering feel on my MYP with 1100 mile last week. I made an appointment with the SC and my appointment isn’t till July 18th. I got in this morning and could not even turn the steering wheel. Reset and still no power steering. I went and do my errands I’m our other car and came back and tried to drive the Y again and now power steering is back but the clicking notchy feel is still there. No mods besides Tsportline wheels. I sold my stocks so I hope they don’t deny warranty due ti aftermarket wheels like I’ve read. I’ll report back after the service date.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
It happened to my Model 3 today which has only 520 miles and is 3 weeks old. while reversing in a driveway. After locking and getting back in the car it worked fine but happened again when I was at a traffic light. I contacted roadside assistance and they suggested I do a reset but I am afraid to drive and have them tow the car to a service center.
Hi, just wondering if you had an update on your steering issue. Same thing happened to me, thanks.

Happened to my 3week old model Y while my wife was driving with kids in the car. Steering went stiff rigid while turning into main road. She went into oncoming traffic luckily the cars swirved to avoid crash.
Sc is coming to pick up the car today. Will report what they find.
Hi, just wondering if you had an update on your steering issue. Same thing happened to me, thanks.