Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model Y steering wheels problem error UI_a020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys! I have a potential solution for the issue with the heavy steering wheel. Specifically for you, I am posting the procedure that Tesla published in their service manual. Since I currently do not have the ability to verify this, I ask those who have experienced power steering failure to check this instruction. The process is described in detail and should not cause difficulties.
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 14-08-08 Model Y Service Manual Tesla.png

Dear friends, I would like to clarify about my previous post. I was wrong, this procedure will not solve the problem in any way. The situation with the above errors and heavy steering is always trivially simple. It is the lack of grounding on the EPAS block. You need to check the following contacts, which I will provide in the picture below. Also, in case your car is made by casting technology (front part), look at how well the wing brackets are screwed in, as they also play a role in the electrical conductivity of the signal. I say this from my personal experience when I eliminated these errors by pulling all threaded connections, as the assemblers did not do this. In some cases, these contacts may have a different location, but usually they are located in pairs, then look for similar ones and check if there is no oxidation and deposits on them, which will need to be cleaned. This is such a childish disease that Tesla simply replaces blocks and steering racks rather than admitting this problem, but in this case it is unknown what is worse…
G099-2-LHD.jpg

This is scary stuff. I had assumed that the Tesla had electric power assist (rather true steer by wire with no mechanical connection) and that under failure could still be turned but with higher effort. Maybe so... maybe not.

After having some unusual experiences with my brand new 2024 MYLR, I crawled under the car to see if there was at least a mechanical connection between steering wheel and the road wheels. It appears that there is, and steering very hard with the car turned off produces a slight movement at the road wheels: I found that at least vaguely reassuring.

However, after reading this thread I am regretting my purchase. Steering racks that fail so frequently without there being a clear diagnosable cause is very troubling:: it means the manufacturer does not know WTF they are doing, and probably does not care. I was willing to put up with the awful ergonomics of the MY (and Teslas in general) but do not relish driving knowing that steering could completely fail at any time, quite likely leading to a horrible accident.

In my very short experience (I've had the car about a week), the car has tried to kill me several times while using fsd. I was aware that fsd has never been beyond alpha stage (although it was advertised as beta last year and "supervised" this year). I have been a motorcycle road racer and aerobatic pilot but those are tame as compared to driving with fsd. Although I am an old fart, I still drive well, and I have the benefit of experience with things and systems that can kill me... and I'm still here to tell the stories. I've built prototype vehicles and have been involved in industrial robotics and AI. So when I drive with fsd, I keep both hands on the wheel and a foot ready to jump on the brakes, and increase my scan rate to about double what I do in a car I can trust. Using these techniques has thwarted fsd's lust for killing me.

That being the case, the faulty wiper system apparently received an instruction across the CAN bus: "See if you have any luck killing this guy." The wipers made a good try, but no cigar.

In every safe car (i.e., the millions of cars other than Teslas), the driver can make the wipers go from intermittent to full speed in less than a tenth of a second, because in iffy weather -- without having to think about it -- a finger rests on the wiper stalk. Downpour... splash from a truck passing... instant full speed. Most good rain-sensing systems (Toyota's Mercedes's, etc.) will quickly speed up the wipers to deal with a downpour. But in any decent car, you can go to manual instantly.

Having experienced a sudden downpour and having the wipers not even wipe any faster than once every two seconds, I braked heavily and attempted voice control. Fortunately, I was not rear ended, and didn't hit anything during the blind deceleration period. But either of those alternatives could have fulfilled that CAN bus instruction.

Unbelievably, Tesla's response to my recounting this event was to suggest using the touch screen after tapping the left stalk end. So... to deal with this emergency, their recommendation is to take my eyes off the road, wait for the touch screen to update, look downward to the very bottom of the touch screen, take a hand of the wheel to attempt to touch the right spot... the ill-informed, we-could-care-less cluelessness stunned me.

My 1973 Citroen SM would vary its intermittent wipe speed automatically from once every 5 seconds (or so) to near full speed constant wipe with no attention on my part, using a simple analog system. I am surprised that Tesla is so far behind: maybe they'll have it figured out by 2033, six decades after Citroen.

And they have the gall, in their response to me, to say that the system is in beta, and might improve. It was sold to me as a functioning system -- nowhere in the promo lit is it called beta, or micky mouse, or half baked. I know of no other automotive manufacturer who releases to the public critical safety equipment with known bugs (which is what beta means).

OK. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. No, not really. I had no idea how pervasive the sociopathology is in the corporation.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...call-over-2-mln-vehicles-us-nhtsa-2024-02-02/

I doubt that replacing the rack alone will solve the problem. There are very good reasons that aluminum is not used for routine home wiring -- and when it is, special care is taken to avoid corrosion. There need to be copper ground straps, especially if the mounting bolts are steel, to be reasonable sure that the connection remains secure, in such a critical application.

My steering has been acting odd, but I am new to the car, and at first thought that the symptoms were caused by my unfamiliarity with the slightly lower profile tires than my Volt has, or perhaps road grooves and tire "nibbling" -- however I have driven the same roads a few hundred times in the Volt and my old Durango with brand new tires, and have not had such odd symptoms. Ordinarily I can see the cause of nibbling, and have not seen anything that would cause the car to weave and jiggle. I also theorized that perhaps caster designed to be very low, to make steering less energy intensive.

I also wonder if a symptom that I attributed to fsd was actually a steering rack issue. At a stop light with nothing unusual (and nothing showing up on the screen as a potential threat) the steering jerked dramatically to the right, and the fsd disengaged. Perhaps the fsd was acting normally to the increased torque on the steering wheel (because I was holding it reasonably firmly) and took that as a signal to disengage. In other words, the fsd might not have caused the jerk; the jerk and resulting torque caused an appropriate fsd disengagement.

Who knows?

So far, I have only received pushback from Tesla, and was told that they could not fix it at the local service center anyway if it is fsd related.