Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Unacceptable Build Quality and Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your MY is just like that? I have service appointment in a week. I feel like I hear too much outside noise possibly because of door misalignment...
ok, I think your is worse than mine. But I have this wavy issue that I'm scheduling a service call for.

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_230041246.jpg
    PXL_20230226_230041246.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 501
  • PXL_20230226_210453943.jpg
    PXL_20230226_210453943.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 432
Very disappointing to read this and that the OP has had to deal with such piss poor quality control on his car. I wish him all the best in getting these issue resolved to his satisfaction.

On a positive note, I ordered my MYLR about a month ago. I recently stopped by the local SC and was able to test drive one again, just to make sure I was making the right decision. While at the dealership there were about a dozen Teslas lined up outside to be delivered to their buyers. Most were model Ys. I walked around all of them and looked them over pretty carefully. Vehicles were from both Fremont and Austin. Outside of a few minor panel gaps, the vehicles looked great. I walked away believing I made the right decisions and I stopped looking at anymore ICE cars. I have even started buying some accessories.

Reactions: blulegend
Picked up my Y today and quality was very good. All gaps were even, panels lined up evenly with each other, interior is well put together, glass was fine, etc. The only possible issue I noticed are the bumpers are slightly different in color compared to the body (white color) att certain angles. I know this is fairly common, especially on an overcast day. Comparing it to my white Lexus LX470, same issue is seen today (also Pearl in color). My white 4Runner is even though but that is a non Pearl paint. I’m very happy to not have had to reject this Y.
Did you have them fix the bumper color or you’re accepting it as is? They have replaced my bumper twice and both times they are a mismatch. The original bumper was a perfect match and now service is saying it’s within spec. But clearly the new bumpers are yellow.

Did you have them fix the bumper color or you’re accepting it as is? They have replaced my bumper twice and both times they are a mismatch. The original bumper was a perfect match and now service is saying it’s within spec. But clearly the new bumpers are yellow.
my service appointment is coming up on Thursday but I already got a message a day after I created the service request that the paint issue is normal and it's due to difference between metal and plastic material. not really concerned about this. I just wish Tesla would have used a non-pearl white paint and this wouldn't of been an issue.

my service appointment is coming up on Thursday but I already got a message a day after I created the service request that the paint issue is normal and it's due to difference between metal and plastic material. not really concerned about this. I just wish Tesla would have used a non-pearl white paint and this wouldn't have been an issue.
Keep arguing with them. This is unacceptable. Four bumpers later I finally have one that is acceptable.

UPDATE: After escalating to the service manager and then the site manager they adjusted both the driver side doors. It's not perfect but it's much better. No wind/water leaks. Passenger side windows are perfectly flush with B pillar. Drive side windows are off slightly, but now only noticeable upon close inspection.

They adjusted the liftgate rubber stops. No improvement in low frequency booming/drumming noise. I attempted adjusting the stops (several times) per the video. No improvement. I installed the 3/8 inch vinyl tubing in the liftgate seal. Reduced the noise to a tolerable level. But lifgate gaps were significant and it would not close normally (had to be pushed down). Replaced the 3/8 inch tubing with 5/16 inch tubing. Acceptable gaps and liftgate now closes normally, but noise returned. FINAL SOLUTION: replaced the 5/16 inch tubing in the lower sections (below the tail lights) of the seals with 3/8 inch tubing. left the 5/16 inch tubing in the upper sections. Noise is at a tollerable level, gaps are good, liftgate closes normally. In fact the botton edge of the lifgate now lines up even better with the rear bumper cover. Installing the vinyl tubing turned out to be quite simple, about a 30 minute task. Easy to remove and try different combinations.

Also lowered the tire pressure from 42 to 38. Again some improvement in noise level.

Plan to install Dynamat in rear area, rear wheel wells, and rear quarter panel next.
Installed Dynamat (67 Mil) in the rear quarter panels (covered the entire inside area) with a double layer in the center of the fender area. Covered the rear wheel wells with Dynamat, again with a double layer in the center. Covered the side and center trunk wells with Dynamat with a double layer on the bottom of the center well. replaced the styrofoam pad at the bottom of the center well with high density rubber foam pad of the same thickness. Result: further reduction on low frequency/booming noise. Much better than just tollerable. Also a significant reduction in road/tire noise from the rear. Remaining noise is now wind noise at highway speeds. I shouldn't have to do this to a new, $55K car. But now that I have, I'm quite pleased with the car.

Installed Dynamat (67 Mil) in the rear quarter panels (covered the entire inside area) with a double layer in the center of the fender area. Covered the rear wheel wells with Dynamat, again with a double layer in the center. Covered the side and center trunk wells with Dynamat with a double layer on the bottom of the center well. replaced the styrofoam pad at the bottom of the center well with high density rubber foam pad of the same thickness. Result: further reduction on low frequency/booming noise. Much better than just tollerable. Also a significant reduction in road/tire noise from the rear. Remaining noise is now wind noise at highway speeds. I shouldn't have to do this to a new, $55K car. But now that I have, I'm quite pleased with the car.
Glad to hear that these improvements helped.. did you buy any chance take any pictures of the work while you were doing it ? I'm still waiting on my car but anticipate needing to something similar. Any steps/pictures/videos would be most helpful... Thanks !

Do you have pictures of the install?

A section of the rubber strip between the roof and the lift-gate is under the metal part.
Anyone has the same issue? I’m not sure if that will cause any problems. I’m not too confident that the service center can fix that without causing any problem or making it worse! I’ll leave it alone if it’s just cosmetic.

Attachments

• AB8BB3C1-AAF8-42E6-BB9A-9E06A8843BAC.jpeg
    AB8BB3C1-AAF8-42E6-BB9A-9E06A8843BAC.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 6E601384-3743-4FF7-9B7E-CE4ED49F03DB.jpeg
    6E601384-3743-4FF7-9B7E-CE4ED49F03DB.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 6EF31A21-FF13-4851-AF37-EE3CB9AE782C.jpeg
    6EF31A21-FF13-4851-AF37-EE3CB9AE782C.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 282
So sorry to see these build quality problems. Stevie Wonder could have conducted better quality control.
There is NO excuse. They seem to just be building them as fast as they can with no qc to keep them from
getting on the delivery trucks.
I had a 2021 Model Y LR but sold it and bought a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 which turned out to be a big mistake.
The 12v battery died on my I5 and it has been in the shop since Oct. 31. It is still there, and I have a lemon law
claim pending. Was thinking of going back with another MY but after seeing so many qc issues on the forum,
I'm afraid to get back into the water. I'm really confused, as I would be super upset if I was unlucky enough
to have issues that would cause me to deal with online reservation making for repairs. This system sucks that
you can't speak with a human. What has happened to the normal way things should work? It seems owners have
accepted this treatment, so it will continue. Everyone says it stinks, yet nothing changes, and people keep buying Teslas.
I am looking at other cars that have a more normal delivery system, higher qc, and less headaches in ownership.

Another future problem I see is that they are selling tons of new Teslas, but not building any additional service centers (in my area),
so the existing ones will get that much more crowded, with longer waits for repairs.
Hyundai service sucks so that leaves out another Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 for me.
I own an I5 and a MYLR due to pick up this week. My friends have MY and it is a great car to have. I am sorry that you had issues with I5 as from my own Personal experience, it is great EV. There is a Technical service bulletin that address the 12V battery issue can can be fixed. However what I don't understand is I5 was released in US in Mid December and how is that your car is in shop since Oct 31st? You wouldn't go wrong going with either EV's as they both are good cars.

Poor build quality and unbearable cabin noice issues are well documented at this time. Sad to see Tesla hasn't addressed it. I am over it and moving onto another brand.

Last edited:
Our Model Y, white, LR, standard wheels, was delivered April 16th at the Marietta SC in Atlanta. I own a 2015 P85D purchased new 8 years ago. I was sorta expecting the worse whereas build quality from various social media. I couldn’t have been further wrong.

Our Y was built in Austin, serial #100,3xx. I looked it over well during the delivery process, and we are a happy Tesla family now.

Today, 5 weeks later, I gave Snow White it’s 1st wash & extensive detailing to see what we actually got. The panel gaps around the entire car where exact, Mercedes couldn’t have been prouder. That has to be a by product of the new production methods in Austin, mainly the mega casting’s for the front & rear. Couldn’t be more impressed with the gaps, and that the trim pieces are in alignment as well.

The paint job is fantastic! No flaws found. Better than the paint on my S from Fremont. Maybe new factory, new paint shop, less restrictions in Texas vs California?

The car was washed, prepped, and ready for delivery. This is the experience everyone should have. Tesla, take notice, and thanks for a beautiful Y with a seamless delivery experience.