Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Ys - Are Mud Flaps included with new cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used the search function, but cannot find a definitive answer to this question - are new Model Ys delivered with mud flaps? Some posts have implied they are, some suggest only the front ones are fitted, and a number of people seem to buy aftermarket ones which suggest they aren't fitted.

Apologies if the answer lies in an existing thread - if it does, I can't see it. Hope some new Model Y owners can give a definitive answer!

Thanks in advance

On my Dec '22 Y I have front mud flaps but no rear mudflaps. Vaguely relatedly, there is a patch of PPF on the rear door just in front of the rear wheel.

Here's a photo from pickup day (excuse the unglamorous location)

IMG_2048.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: boombap and Durzel
On my Dec '22 Y I have front mud flaps but no rear mudflaps. Vaguely relatedly, there is a patch of PPF on the rear door just in front of the rear wheel.

Here's a photo from pickup day (excuse the unglamorous location)

View attachment 899659
You don’t need them on the rear, but your point about PPF is *very* related to the mud flaps - it and the mudflaps are there because the front tyres absolutely fire debris at the back of the rear doors. The flare at the rear means the mudflaps and PPF are essential. It’d be sandblasted after a year without both in place. Nice colour!

Reactions: Mullermn
Tesla only offer front mud flaps for both Y and 3. Early 3's didn't have them fitted as standard - you had to buy as an accessory from the shop. Not sure if early Y's lacked them or if Y has always had them. Some regions still don't have them as standard fit. So you will see people getting aftermarket flaps - either cos they want rears added (might get some for my 3 myself) and/or cos they didn't get fronts from factory.

They actually offered everyone a free set retrospectively at one point. I still have them in the box since I had already fitted 3rd party ones by then

Me too, except mine were in the box in the car when I traded it in!

I asked Cleevely Motors to fit them when they serviced the M3 and they said to get 3rd party ones instead as the Tesla-provided ones were shocking (hard / no "give") ... so on a 2nd hand M3 might be worth considering changing if OEM are fitted

Nope, no mud flaps of rear door PPF standard on '23 Freemont Build MYLR delivered to Colorado. :(
That being said, I ordered PPF from Tesla and TS will install for free... when I have my Tow Package and Auto Garage opener appointment.
I guess they must think you don't need them due to the warm dry weather and perfect roads that you have there then in....where are you again...... Colorado. Its always warm and dry there right? no grit on the roads 🤣

On the other hand I did have to pay the equivalent of $64,000 for my LR and no rebates or tax credits so that makes them quite expensive mud flaps/ppf