Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MX Random Windshield Crack..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A two week old 2023 Model X with less than 200 miles on it has a crack in the windshield. There's no evidence of rock chips or objects hitting the windshield, and I've read that Tesla's get random windshield cracks. If anyone has dealt with this with Tesla before, I'd greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. I've made an appointment with Tesla service to see if they'll cover this under warranty. 😮‍💨
IMG-4344.jpg

A two week old 2023 Model X with less than 200 miles on it has a crack in the windshield. There's no evidence of rock chips or objects hitting the windshield, and I've read that Tesla's get random windshield cracks. If anyone has dealt with this with Tesla before, I'd greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. I've made an appointment with Tesla service to see if they'll cover this under warranty. 😮‍💨
View attachment 879409.

If you want an opinion here on whether there is an impact mark or not, you need to take the picture from the outside, and show both ends of that crack, vs from what appears to be the inside, and not showing the entire crack.

Almost all of the threads I have seen on this stuff turn out to be an actual impact mark on the windshield somewhere.

If you want an opinion here on whether there is an impact mark or not, you need to take the picture from the outside, and show both ends of that crack, vs from what appears to be the inside, and not showing the entire crack.

Almost all of the threads I have seen on this stuff turn out to be an actual impact mark on the windshield somewhere.
I couldn't get close up shots since I didn't have a ladder and didn't want to put pressure on the windshield. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue in the past and if they may be able to offer some feedback. It is not my intention to ask whether or not it is an impact crack (I will have Tesla verify), but just if they have dealt with it before and how the interaction with Tesla service went.

IMG-4345.jpg

A two week old 2023 Model X with less than 200 miles on it has a crack in the windshield. There's no evidence of rock chips or objects hitting the windshield, and I've read that Tesla's get random windshield cracks. If anyone has dealt with this with Tesla before, I'd greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. I've made an appointment with Tesla service to see if they'll cover this under warranty.
The Model X is quite prone to windshield cracking. If it came from within the vehicle, Tesla will cover it under warranty. If it appears to have come from outside, it is on you. I had one of each on my 2018. That is the main reason I did not drop another $1,000 to tint the windshield, because they have a limited lifetime.

Windshield replacement is roughly $1,700. Your comprehensive insurance will cover it, as long as you don't mind an insurance claim. I chose to not file a claim for it. $1,700 was not worth losing my claim free discount.

Reactions: d4vid
I couldn't get close up shots since I didn't have a ladder and didn't want to put pressure on the windshield. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue in the past and if they may be able to offer some feedback. It is not my intention to ask whether or not it is an impact crack (I will have Tesla verify), but just if they have dealt with it before and how the interaction with Tesla service went.

View attachment 879416

From the picture, there doesnt appear to be any obvious impact mark. If there isnt an impact mark, tesla "should" cover it. If they dont, ask them to show you the impact mark they are determining is causing the crack.

Tesla will inspect your windshield. If they find an impact point, they will deny. If no impact most likely they will warrantee,
This, of course, is a grey area. You will want it replaced for free, and they will need to find justification to warrant it or not.

The Model X is quite prone to windshield cracking. If it came from within the vehicle, Tesla will cover it under warranty. If it appears to have come from outside, it is on you. I had one of each on my 2018. That is the main reason I did not drop another $1,000 to tint the windshield, because they have a limited lifetime.

Windshield replacement is roughly $1,700. Your comprehensive insurance will cover it, as long as you don't mind an insurance claim. I chose to not file a claim for it. $1,700 was not worth losing my claim free discount.
I thought that a cracked windshield would be completely covered without the premium going up. It is considered a road hazard. This is the case with Geico. Who do you have?

I had the windshield crack on my 2020 MX the first time I parked it in a sunny place, likely about 2 weeks into ownership. I took it to Tesla service; the service manager inspected it for impact damage. Finding none, he replaced the windshield free of charge. I have not had a repeat of this experience. The Tesla service center was quite reasonable and fair about it, and replaced it once they had a new windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and d4vid
I thought that a cracked windshield would be completely covered without the premium going up. It is considered a road hazard. This is the case with Geico. Who do you have?
That is all correct, there should be no premium increase. But that is all before a series of discounts that apply to your entire policy. Things like being a long term customer, or for being claim free, for X amount of time. The premium remains the same, but a discount goes away if you have any claim at all. I am with Progressive. Years ago when I was with State Farm, they had the same thing. It also can also limit your ability to CHANGE insurance if you have had ANY claim in the previous five years, might be even longer now. A claim is a claim. Be very careful when deciding to get your insurance co involved. Insurance loves to pay small claims and will likely encourage you to use them, because they know if they ever pay any claim, they've got you. I personally would probably NOT file a claim for anything up to a few thousand.

Finally, I was able to take the car to Tesla where the service advisor looked at the windshield and confirmed that the crack was not caused by impact and it will be replaced for free. They did not try to fight back or argue about the issue and were very professional throughout the process.
Did they have to keep the car in their shop? Trying to gauge the turn around time.

Did they have to keep the car in their shop? Trying to gauge the turn around time.
It took a few seconds for the inspection to be completed. I don't know if everyone does this, but they run a ball pen along the crack to see if it gets caught anywhere. In my case, there was no impact. As there was a two-week lead time on the windshield, I will be returning next week for a replacement. It takes one day to complete the entire process.

It took a few seconds for the inspection to be completed. I don't know if everyone does this, but they run a ball pen along the crack to see if it gets caught anywhere. In my case, there was no impact. As there was a two-week lead time on the windshield, I will be returning next week for a replacement. It takes one day to complete the entire process.
Very cool, thanks for info.