Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MXLR charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla so hoping some longer term owners can share some insight. I have a 2023 MXLR and just installed the home charger to a 60 amp circuit and getting a max charging of 48 amp which all seems correct. I have a relatively short daily commute ~25 miles, and haven't had the car long enough to measure how and when I charge and the impact to my power bill, so I am wondering what's the. best practice:

-Plug in every other day or so and charge to 90% at whatever speed I would need to get to 90% by 8am

-Plug in every single night and charge at the slowest possible speed to get me to 90% every morning

-Plug in every night and charge at 48 amps so that the time to reach 90% is very quick as opposed to charging overnight at a much lower speed

Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

Plug in every time you park in your garage. The car is designed and intended to be plugged in. With a short commute, set the maximum charge level to something like 3/4. Then any time you're planning a long trip, set it for a full charge, or 90% if that will be plenty.

I have mine set to charge at a much slower rate than the 9.6 kW my charger is capable of, because I have solar + Powerwall and I want to be able to run the air conditioner and the oven while the car is charging without drawing any power from the grid. If you have solar you might want to do something similar so as not to draw power unnecessarily from the grid.

As for the car itself, it's capable of charging at 250 kW (?) from the superchargers, so 11.5 kW from your charger shouldn't hurt the car at all.

New to Tesla so hoping some longer term owners can share some insight. I have a 2023 MXLR and just installed the home charger to a 60 amp circuit and getting a max charging of 48 amp which all seems correct. I have a relatively short daily commute ~25 miles, and haven't had the car long enough to measure how and when I charge and the impact to my power bill, so I am wondering what's the. best practice:

-Plug in every other day or so and charge to 90% at whatever speed I would need to get to 90% by 8am
-Plug in every single night and charge at the slowest possible speed to get me to 90% every morning
-Plug in every night and charge at 48 amps so that the time to reach 90% is very quick as opposed to charging overnight at a much lower speed
Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.
I would suggest plugging it in every day after your last drive. But only charge it up to 75% or so, unless you have a longer trip planned. Even if you forget to plug in, your daily usage is low enough, you will have plenty of charge to cover the missed day.

For my first several years of Tesla ownership of my car was in my garage it was plugged in and set to charge to 70% at 1:30am. I have a similar round trip commute, if not even shorter. I have chargers at my office and since getting the X I’m challenging myself to not charge at home for as long as I can (just for fun) so I’ve not been plugging it in. Only once did I get down around 30% over a long weekend and charged it up. This thing has range and has been working out great.

The car was designed and is intended to always be plugged in when not in use. Plugging in at work instead of at home so that your employer pays for the electricity is a fine idea, providing that you're not preventing others who have no home charging from using the charger.

Not plugging the car in at all just to see how low you can get it is not a good idea. If anything were to happen to the car that prevented it from having access to a charger, starting out at a very low state of charge would obviously be a problem. Also, I don't think that continual deep discharging is great for the battery.

The car was designed and is intended to always be plugged in when not in use. Plugging in at work instead of at home so that your employer pays for the electricity is a fine idea, providing that you're not preventing others who have no home charging from using the charger.

Not plugging the car in at all just to see how low you can get it is not a good idea. If anything were to happen to the car that prevented it from having access to a charger, starting out at a very low state of charge would obviously be a problem. Also, I don't think that continual deep discharging is great for the battery.
It’s only ever gotten below 50% once or twice. I charge it to 80% every week day. I have a HPWC at home so I can very easily charge it here if/when I want to.

We’ve got lots of chargers and a good system to make sure everyone’s needs are met.