Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYLR - is it possible to disable or unplug the wireless charging pads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoying our new MYLR, but our iPhones all have wallet cases with slots for credit cards, and we're not fans of wireless charging to begin with. The wireless charging pads are perfectly located to place our phones, but how can we disable the charging functionality? Surely they could be unplugged, or ideally disable in the user interface?

Enjoying our new MYLR, but our iPhones all have wallet cases with slots for credit cards, and we're not fans of wireless charging to begin with. The wireless charging pads are perfectly located to place our phones, but how can we disable the charging functionality? Surely they could be unplugged, or ideally disable in the user interface?
I don't know about the wires but I bet you could do a YouTube search about opening up the chargers to find the wires. For sure there is not a user interface to disable. Just curious, is your phone charging and you don't want it to. If it's not charging then just ignore it as a wireless charger. That'd be a lot simpler and less risky than disassembly and disconnecting wires.

Reactions: Pianewman
I don't know about the wires but I bet you could do a YouTube search about opening up the chargers to find the wires. For sure there is not a user interface to disable. Just curious, is your phone charging and you don't want it to. If it's not charging then just ignore it as a wireless charger. That'd be a lot simpler and less risky than disassembly and disconnecting wires.
Haven't found a matching Youtube video.

Our iPhone cases hold credit cards with magnetic strips and tap to pay. Surely strong magnetic fields are going to mess our credit cards up?

Haven't found a matching Youtube video.

Our iPhone cases hold credit cards with magnetic strips and tap to pay. Surely strong magnetic fields are going to mess our credit cards up?
Yup, I just did a Google search. Seems like the strip could be affected but the chip is not. I don't know if it's true, but here's a YouTube video saying a future software update may allow disabling the wireless charger

Last edited:
This is a good question. The new console doesn't have the plugs underneath. It might be possible to get to it from the sides by removing the side moulding along the center console.

As a temporary work around why not just open up the door and sit your phone's in the storage area underneath?

This video gives some guidance about how to remove the phone dock (which is connected to the side trim pieces on the center console). This allows you to access the wires that supply power to the wireless phone charger, and you can unplug those wires if you like.

Thanks, this looks like it applies. However I now wonder if keeping that connector disconnected will give an error message on the screen.