Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just replaced my 2020 MYP with the 2023 today. Here are a few thoughts:
- Tesla got a good trade in - my 2020 MYP was wrapped top to bottom with ceramic, no dents, no dings but unfortunately trade-in values were coming down so I made the call to trade it in. Why?
- My 2020 was number 3xx off the line and had a really, I mean really harsh ride. Harsh enough that coffee from a sealed starbucks cup was coming out every time.
- I had no dimming side-mirrors, and I had massive rattle problems with the headliner, rear seat (replaced, but still rattles).

I DO miss the fact I had FSD, USS for parking, and was relatively flawless.

Impressions of the 2023? Well here they are:
- Much better suspension. Not cushy, but it blunts out the hard bumps
- Much better insulation - top down, back front.
- Dimming side mirrors are a plus
- Front and rear headlights much better
- Handling is just as good if not slightly better (perhaps it’s a placebo effect) compared to 2020
- Better center console

There is a slight rattle or cable hitting something noise in the dash, so I’ll have that looked at, and there was a crease in the drivers seat. I’ll bring that in once I have the car wrapped from top to bottom again.

Is it a clear winner? Depends on what you’re looking for. I was looking for a better ride, better build and more insulation. I do miss the USS sensors though…………

CBDB5C26-81EB-489A-AF8B-435A65D0B75D.jpeg

- Tesla got a good trade in - my 2020 MYP was wrapped top to bottom with ceramic, no dents, no dings but unfortunately trade-in values were coming down so I made the call to trade it in. Why?
- My 2020 was number 3xx off the line and had a really, I mean really harsh ride. Harsh enough that coffee from a sealed starbucks cup was coming out every time.
- I had no dimming side-mirrors, and I had massive rattle problems with the headliner, rear seat (replaced, but still rattles).

- Handling is just as good if not slightly better (perhaps it’s a placebo effect) compared to 2020
- Better center console

There is a slight rattle or cable hitting something noise in the dash, so I’ll have that looked at, and there was a crease in the drivers seat. I’ll bring that in once I have the car wrapped from top to bottom again.

Is it a clear winner? Depends on what you’re looking for. I was looking for a better ride, better build and more insulation. I do miss the USS sensors though…………

I went from a 21 Model S LR Refresh to a 23 Model Y Performance. I had a 21 MYP as well a year ago. I love my 23 MYP, and feel your comparisons are spot on.
Are you planning on wrapping yours again? I havent done mine yet but am planning too. I had XPEL Stealth on my 21 MYP. Might just PPF the areas most needed. Not so sure yet.

- Better center console

- Better center console

Austin ot Freemont? Cargo Cover? All Weather or Summer Tires? Double pane rear windows?

I went from a 21 Model S LR Refresh to a 23 Model Y Performance. I had a 21 MYP as well a year ago. I love my 23 MYP, and feel your comparisons are spot on.
Are you planning on wrapping yours again? I havent done mine yet but am planning too. I had XPEL Stealth on my 21 MYP. Might just PPF the areas most needed. Not so sure yet.
I have a June 2022 delivery MYP, that I got 100% wrapped top to bottom. I also put on some Rimsavers to guard against curb rash. The Rimsavers worked, however, when manually parallel parking I had not realized that the passenger rear wheel/Rimsavers made contact and lost 100% grip. Once I hit highway speed the Rimsavers saver was beating the heck out of rear quarter panel. I could see the marks, however PPF saved the day, I cleaned and rubbed the scuff marks and the sun did the rest, couldn’t tell and signs of the Rimsavers marks. I recommend getting PPF. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
I have a June 2022 delivery MYP, that I got 100% wrapped top to bottom. I also put on some Rimsavers to guard against curb rash. The Rimsavers worked, however, when manually parallel parking I had not realized that the passenger rear wheel/Rimsavers made contact and lost 100% grip. Once I hit highway speed the Rimsavers saver was beating the heck out of rear quarter panel. I could see the marks, however PPF saved the day, I cleaned and rubbed the scuff marks and the sun did the rest, couldn’t tell and signs of the Rimsavers marks. I recommend getting PPF. Just my 2 cents.

Damn! Great story!

- Better center console

View attachment 877373
So how much overall did it cost you? Did you consider getting MPP Comfort Coils?

I hope you are happy with your ride a month from now. I took delivery of a MYLR on 8/30/22, Austin build. My first Tesla, and I was mentally prepared for a harsh ride. To my surprise, it rode very nice. However, that didn’t last long. I have (only) 1300 miles on it now. The ride got worse seemingly every day. At the point now where I try to avoid expansion joints. I would love to try a 2023. However, I was also mentally prepared for a somewhat noisy ride. I am happy to report it is very quiet and absolutely no squeaks or rattles.

I hope you are happy with your ride a month from now. I took delivery of a MYLR on 8/30/22, Austin build. My first Tesla, and I was mentally prepared for a harsh ride. To my surprise, it rode very nice. However, that didn’t last long. I have (only) 1300 miles on it now. The ride got worse seemingly every day. At the point now where I try to avoid expansion joints. I would love to try a 2023. However, I was also mentally prepared for a somewhat noisy ride. I am happy to report it is very quiet and absolutely no squeaks or rattles.
Along this time frame did you or anyone (service) modify the tire pressure? Going from 41 down to 36 (ish) was night and day improvement. No issues at all for me on a MYP 20

Reactions: sleepydoc
try 19” wheels or third party 18”. i have 2022 MYP with 21” low profile tires & am okay with the ride. different stroke for different folks 🤷‍♂️.

- Better center console

View attachment 877373
Nice car, Congrats! Reminded me of our ex-MYP VIN867 of the same paint.

Now 🔥 that steering wheel heater for effect 🤩.

Btw, how does the car alert you with proximity to objects while parking/driving now without USS?
Is it really that bad without the sensors?

Reactions: MyMYLRnw

- Better center console

View attachment 877373
I own a 2022 MYP; How about the 0-60 speed? Is it faster? Everyone is different but for me speed is top priority 😃😂🤣

Reactions: MyMYLRnw

- Better center console

View attachment 877373

How many miles did you do on the old car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your review - If it weren’t for FSD I would definitely consider trading my MY in for a newer model. I really wish Tesla had a facility to link FSD to the owner and transfer it to a new car. Ultimately it would be a great way to encourage people to trade in their old Tesla for a new one. In the last few years demand has outstripped supply so they didn’t need any more demand but moving forward it will matter more. That’s also something that a marketing department would consider and I don‘t think Tesla has anyone in marketing right now.

I own a 2022 MYP; How about the 0-60 speed? Is it faster? Everyone is different but for me speed is top priority 😃😂🤣
I dont think Tesla 0-60s have changed in a long time. The Model Ys share the same drivetrain as the Model 3s and those 0-60s have been the same for 5yrs. Even older ones (at least the M3LR) got bumped up 5% via an OTA update to keep up with the new ones.